Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have a small pond on our place (that we still haven't moved into yet) and we seem to be developing a muskrat problem. What is the best way to get rid of them. (so far they have been ignoring the eviction notices :help:)

·
Premium Member
16,062 Posts
What do you mean by "problem"?

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
Trap em if you don't want to trap them you could call your department of wildlife or extension office for a local trapper. If the damage is severe, muskrats can be shot or trapped out of season provided a permit is obtained from the Department of Wildlife

·
Premium Member
17,383 Posts
Put me in the group that's wondering what the problem is. Muskrats are pretty much harmless, and except for a short period in the spring when the last years young are kicked out of the nest, seldom venture far from the pond. They also help keep down excess vegetation.

·
In memoriam
79,016 Posts
Put me in the group that's wondering what the problem is
Their digging can cause dams to collapse or ponds to leak and create holes that people or animals could break a leg in

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It is a really small pond, and I don't want to have to deal with the problems that Bearfootfarm mentioned. They are also burrowing beneath the area we have planned to use as a garden.

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
Is it mowed all the up to the pond? if you have tall weeds growing around the pond thats what they are eating. Take away their food they may leave on their own.

·
If I need a Shelter
21,638 Posts
Find you a Metal Barrel with a Lid you can remove,cut two Half Moons out of the lid leaving a strip down the middle.Find two Springs just strong enough to hold the Half Moon pieces up,fasten them on.Fill barrel half full of water in the pond to where the Barrel is just out of the water.put Corn in the middle.

The Muskrats will get up on it to feed,get on the Lid fall into the Barrel and drown.

big rockpile

·
Registered
20 Posts
Muskrats can do major damage to the banks and eroison. Our lawn slopes down to the pond's edge and I always worried about my husband tipping over into the pond when mowing if he should go down into an underground tunnel. I can tell you at the end of the year better but so far this spring I see no sign of them and what we did was to kill off the cattails which was their source of food and nesting material. Yes, we had to use an aquatic herbicide but to get rid of the critters was worth it. They may be a cute furry harmless critters to some people but they aren't risking a person's life over so each person's situation is different and has to be handled in what is best for you.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Their digging can cause dams to collapse or ponds to leak and create holes that people or animals could break a leg in
Exactly, they’re cute, right up until you have to deal with them. When you cave in a den with your tractor, the cuteness wears off real quick. IF your water level varies at all, they seem to be even more destructive as they increase their burrowing to keep above the water level.

I use 110 Conibears, 1-1.5 leg holds in drowning sets and a 12GA at night with a light. You’ll never get rid of them completely, but you can reduce the damage some. To me at least 110s are a little more of a PITA to set up, but are more effective on dens. Usually I can hammer them with the legholds for about a week, then they seem to wise up to the bait/attractant I’m using.

Chuck

·
Premium Member
6,622 Posts
"...a 12GA at night with a light..."

Mine are brave. Theye paddle around the pond in broad daylight with me standing at the edge of my tiny (110' x 75') pond.

·
Premium Member
16,062 Posts
If you are only dealing with a portion of the pond shoreline you could armor it with large rocks at least grapefruit sized. If you get rid of these more will show up if there is a food source in the form of cattails or water lilies.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Next time you see them jump into the water, light a stick of dynamite and toss it in after them. Should solve your problem.:grin::smiley-laughing013:

Seriously, trapping is the way to go.

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
I have had one muskrat in my marsh. Then we met face to face one day while I went to get carrots and he was eating some greenery I'd tossed to the side.

It was an uncomfortable moment for both of us. I told him he stank. He looked at me like I stank. He wandered off and found a new, and less human crowded, home. :)

·
Registered
4,341 Posts
Get an alligator.:rotfl:

·
Registered
121 Posts
A 110 conibear trap over the hole to his house does a quick job. They have nice fur when prime (in the winter), but I kill them all year because of the damage they do.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts