How do you get rid of ants?!

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by DW, Jun 26, 2004.

1. DW

DW plains of Colorado Supporter

I'm not talking those little mounds...we've always had them w/ our sandy soil. We planted around the huge mound in the garden and they just moved over and ate a whole mound of pumpkins! NO chemicals...we'll try everything else. THANKS!

2. If you don't want chemicals( as I did not ) you have to follow them to their colony and dig it up. I followed large black ants about twenty feet from my outdoor workbench, where they would constantly crawl up my legs and bite me, to their lair. On the surface I found maybe ten main entrances( larger sized openings ). So I took a shovel and circled the area, about five foot across, and had to dig three feet down. I then filled my giant hole with water. After a while I filled it in, a couple of days later I repeated the whole process. You can also play anteater with a shop-vac.

3. Torch

Torch Well-Known Member

In the piney woods of the great state of Texas.
    "NO chemicals"

I'm not sure how realistic that requirement is though I certainly will be standing by for a good answer. In my part of the country we have fire ants and I would love to have a non-chemical solution that works.

Standing by...

Michael

4. BeckyW

BeckyW Well-Known Member

Try pouring pots of boiling water down the hole. Might take a couple of tries but it always works. Old Texas trick. You'll obviously damage plant roots that are directly in the "line of fire" -- however nearby plant roots probably will be fine -- soil tends to cool down the water temperature as it dispurses. Recently killed some by our front walkway with 24 inch diameter bush less than 2 feet away. The bush is still thriving -- didn't hurt the roots a bit. The ants are history.
    Good luck.
    BW

5. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    One local genius filled the bill by starting a fire ant terminating service - he did use a chenical though - water - heated to steam heat. Insert the nozzle, pull the trigger, good bye ants. :yeeha:

6. Its hard enough controlling fire ants WITH chemicals. GOOD LUCK!

7. Ozarkguy

Ozarkguy Well-Known Member

I read this post a while back, and tried it on some pests out front by me, and it works.

And by the way, THANKS to Lynn in Houston for the excellent bug recipe she posted! :)

gotta love those hills...

Ozarkguy

8. Old John

Old John Well-Known Member Supporter

Hi Y'all,

Here's a thing I haven't tried but a lot of Folks swear by it.
    It's supposed to kill off ANTS or most other insects.
    It's even safe for people & pets.
    And it can be used in your long-term grain storage to keep out insects.

You might TRY it;
    Here's the Scoop.................

http://www.hydromall.com/happy_grower16.html

http://www.biconet.com/crawlers/DE.html

http://www1.shopping.com/xGS-Diatomaceous_Earth~NS-1~linkin_id-3058291

http://www.safesolutionsinc.com/de/diatomaceousearth.htm

At least it's SAFE. Hope it helps.

9. jerneeon

jerneeon Well-Known Member

I've heard that leaving piles of sugar eventually kills them. I don't know how long, but from what I understand is that sugar destroys their reproductive systems after several generations. Anybody know what an ant's life expectancy is?

10. mary,tx

mary,tx Well-Known Member Supporter

I have heard of the grits in the past as well as the boiling water (though you have to be careful not to burn yourself) and have done both.

Another thing you can try is mint jelly mixed with (powdered) boric acid. Put this in a bottle cap or something and leave it where they can find it.

If they are fire ants, you will need to get aggressive--they play by a different set of rules.
    Dale in TX (DH of Mary)

11. Meg Z

Meg Z winding down

We've used the boiling water trick on fire ants with good success. We pound a pipe or piece of conduit down three or four feet, pop on a funnel, and pour in as much water as we can heat at one time.

Hubby stands on a stepstool and leans a bit to pound the pipe in, to keep his feet out of biting range. It's pretty soft pounding, but that puts the water down where the queen is, while it's still hot.

We've killed small to medium nests in one treatment, and downsized big ones that we could kill off a couple weeks later on a second dose.

It's times like those I wish I had a turkey fryer...

Meg :)

12. Or you could simply sprinkle a teaspoon of powder on the nest and forget about it.

Or buy anteaters.