How do you get rid of a stray cat?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Karin L, Dec 23, 2006.

1. Karin L

Karin L Bovine and Range Nerd

There's a stray cat that's hanging around the farm and it's getting anoying because he just won't go away. When we feed the other two (our pets), whoever does the feeding has to stand guard to watch for that darned stray and keep it away from the food that're meant for these two and not that scruffy-looking thing.

I kinda don't want to kill it, so I'm thinking of packin the paint ball gun everytime I go out in case I see it, 'cause maybe if it feels the sting of a paint ball everytime it tries to "make freinds" or get near it might decide to go somewheres else.

The other two kitties don't like him, especially Spider, he'll hiss and growl everytime that stray tries to get near. Button...well, I'm not so sure about her, but maybe she don't like the stray much either.

Or, should we accept the fact that the stray'll stay around and we'll just have to keep an eye out that he/it/she/whatever won't steal from the kitties food dish. It might be good to have an extra mouser around.

What do you think?

2. Dubai Vol

Dubai Vol Well-Known Member

You're on the right track: don't feed it. I'm big on the "scream and charge and throw things method" myself. Any time you see it, come roaring out of the house screaming at the top of your lungs and chase the thing like you want to kill it. It will quickly get the idea that your place is not somewhere it wants to be.

That said, feral cats are a big problem lots of places. Shooting it would almost certainly be a public service. But I'm as big a softie as you and would just chase the thing off and make it somebody else's problem....

3. donsgal

donsgal Nohoa Homestead

Why not just adopt him? The other kitties will get used to his presence eventually and they will become friends (it takes a while sometimes).

You have been given an opportunity to do something nice and generous by helping a disadvantaged, unloved kitty. Accept the opportunity with love and grace and you will be rewarded down the line. Guaranteed.

donsgal

4. tnhomestead

tnhomestead Well-Known Member

its christmas, feed shelter and love -- applies to all including stray kitties!

5. Shygal

Shygal Unreality star Supporter

Yeah, like have her other two cats contract feline leukemia, distemper, etc. Or maybe if she is really good, she can be rewarded with rabies.
    Possibly her two pet kitties can get the lovely reward of a catfight , injuries, ripped ears, etc.

Its always lovely to have a feral cat around, digging up flower gardens, pooping in them, spraying your house and doorways with the lovely scent of cat urine, etc.

Its not always a Walt Disney world.
    Get a live trap, trap the cat and bring it to the shelter.

6. Spinner

Spinner Well-Known Member

adopt a stray dog ;)

7. DownHome

DownHome Well-Known Member

I'm with shygirl. Stray cats bring lots of problems. She says he looks scraggley or something like. It could have ringworm which is transmissable to humans.

I would definitely get rid of the stray before it is too late for the pets. Strays are typically bad news.

gl

8. DocM

DocM Well-Known Member

The other cats have already been exposed to said stray - and hopefully, the "pets" have already had their vaccinations. Now, if you truly don't want it, get a live trap and turn it into a local shelter. Really though, what's one more cat on a farm?

9. Peacock

Peacock writing some wrongs Supporter

If the cats are outdoor cats, they will always run the risk of contracting diseases from other animals or getting into fights. Pet cats, indoors or out, should already be vaccinated against leukemia, distemper and rabies. And aren't pet cats just as likely to dig up gardens and spray?

One solution is to keep the pet cats indoors. Another solution is to go ahead and adopt the cat - at least trap it and have it spayed/neutered. Many shelters and other organizations run special deals where they'll do it for free or cheap - maybe $20. You never know, this "scruffy looking thing" might turn out to be the sweetest kitty you'll ever meet.

We have a cat like that. Buddy was once a stray hanging around a convenience store despite being chased away repeatedly. He's the sweetest kitty in the world and sleeps with my daughter every night.

10. cathyharrell

cathyharrell Well-Known Member

I would feed it. I can't stand to see hungry animals. Maybe if he had food he wouldn't look so scraggly.

11. e.alleg

e.alleg Well-Known Member

I put food in the barn and the cats live there and keep the mice away. I wouldn't let any cat into your house regardless of how much you think they love you.

12. Ardie/WI

Ardie/WI Well-Known Member Supporter

I'm the same way. The cat is just hungry.

13. Janis Sauncy

Janis Sauncy Well-Known Member

Personally, I think it's a no-brainer. Of course, all my cats are vaccinated, spayed and neutered, and I wouldn't think twice about providing a home to another one (along with shots and spay/neutering).

If that is absolutely NOT POSSIBLE, then it would be much kinder to live trap it and turn it in to a shelter. If, at the worst, it ends up being put to sleep, at least it will (hopefully) be done humanely.

My brother and his wife had a feral cat problem. They got in touch with a cat rescue (check those out, too) lady, who brought live-traps out. They then proceeded to catch all the feral cats, had them spayed/neutered, vaccinated and returned to their home. Most of them are wild; however, they have a "feeding station" in the back yard, along with beds and cushions out of the weather, if they choose to use them. Periodically, someone turns up missing (that's very hard on my brother), or a new one (or two) show up. The new ones always get spayed/neutered and vaccinated, too.

Come on. In the spirit of the holiday, please be kind to the kitty. If I lived close enough to you, I would come and get it.

14. donsgal

donsgal Nohoa Homestead

1. A stray cat is not necessarily a feral cat.
    2. ANY outdoor cat is subject to all of the ailments you mention. If you want to avoid exposure, then you keep your cats inside.
    3. Female cats and neutered cats almost never/rarely fight each other.
    4. Pet cats dig up flower gardens, poop in them, etc. there is no difference in the behavior of domesticated versus stray cats. (You can't train cats not to, even your own!).

But I do agree that if she does not wish to adopt the cat the best choice is to find a no kill shelter and take it so it can be adopted by someone else.

donsgal

15. tamatik

tamatik Well-Known Member

google..."ugly the cat"..its for cat people

16. ET1 SS

ET1 SS zone 5 - riverfrontage Supporter

17. Iddee

Iddee Well-Known Member

>>>I kinda don't want to kill it<<<

I would rather just run it away from the feed until it starves down and freezes to death over a period of weeks or months.

Just do it a favor and kill it quick. No need in being so cruel.

18. MELOC

MELOC Master Of My Domain

i was wondering who it would be, lol.

that took longer than expected. :)

19. MELOC

MELOC Master Of My Domain

you will never get rid of the cat. it has found space and some occassional food. you will need to eliminate or adopt.

20. tinknal

tinknal Well-Known Member Supporter

Not only are these the only logical options, they are also the only moral ones.