How do you get motivated to clean?

Discussion in 'Countryside Families' started by largentdepoche, Jan 22, 2007.

1. largentdepoche

largentdepoche Well-Known Member

We've caught another flu bug (why I hate antibiotics, it takes like 5 months for me to get my immune system up and running again) and I'm just POOPED.

I've rolled out of bed and showered, and went right back in pajamas. I've been cooking ahead so at least our meals are covered, and I wash one load a day. So far, that's about all I can accomplish.

HOW can you get motivated to clean when you're sick or just feeling off? I should be folding laundry and sweeping but I'm just feeling really ewy.

I am thinking I should get a big Bubble like on the movie Bubble Boy lol, I'd definitly catch alot less things LOL!

[​IMG]

Kat

2. Peacock

Peacock writing some wrongs Supporter

When I'm sick, I just don't. I sleep all day. That way I get better faster!

But otherwise, how do I get motivated to clean? Invite company! :)

3. Tracy Rimmer

Tracy Rimmer CF, Classroom & Books Mod Supporter

For me, looking at a dirty house is enough. I hate things being messy even more than I hate being sick.

Luckily, I'm not sick that often.

Tracy
    (who has now tempted the fates into giving me the flu by tomorrow :) )

4. Traci Ann

Traci Ann Domestic Engineer

With 7 children it really doesn't matter if I am sick. Things must still get clean - this uis my job and dh's job is at the dog food factory...He doesn't get sick days so neither do I.

But nothing motivates me like our once a month visit from our Social worker! LOL!!

5. RebeccaB

RebeccaB Well-Known Member

When I am sick I only do what is necessary to stay healthy. I hate using paper plates, but if I needed to sleep to get better, I would use them. Might be cheaper anyway if it helps you get rested and healthy sooner. I keep meals in the freezer and might pull some of them out if food needs to be prepared. If laundry needs to be done, wash what can go in the drier. Don't bother folding it - wear it out of the drier or laundry basket. The house will get clean again when you are better. I feel it is much more benefcial to get well, even if it involves some extra spending and a messier house. The main question - can this chore go without health implications?

By the way, this is just what works for me.

Rebecca

6. frazzlehead

frazzlehead AppleJackCreek Supporter

Yup!

When you're sick, your first job is to get better. So do that and stop feeling guilty! :D

Spray out the sink if you get a chance, just to keep the bugs down. Doesn't matter if you leave streaks, a quick spray'll get most of the germs. If you have clean sheets in the closet, changing the bed might help you feel better - even if the dirty sheets stay on the floor and don't make it to the washer! Maybe just change the pillow cases "to keep germs down". You'll feel like you did something -but not too much strain - and all aimed at improving health.

Otherwise, stick to the basics. Porridge is a perfectly reasonable supper dish for sick people. Healthy people in the same house hold can fix their own or eat porridge with you - ideally, they fix YOURS if you are sick!

<drift>
    My 10 yr old son takes care of me when I'm sick. It's so sweet - he even managed some pretty serious "get the bucket!" type of cleanup jobs when I had a super nasty flu hit me. Sure, the floor doesn't get swept for a week, but he brings me gingerale in bed, and fills all three hot water bottles that we own when I have the chills. He's such a sweetie. :D Just had to brag! Sorry for the drift!

7. largentdepoche

largentdepoche Well-Known Member

Thanks for the replies and advice! :)

I'm feeling alittle better today, a good night of sleep helped. Hubby is a crank so maybe the flu bug has spread to him lol!

I must be feeling better because I want to rearrange our furniture LOL!

Kat

8. Queen Bee

Queen Bee Well-Known Member Supporter

Thank goodness, I am not sick very often--except w/ sinus infections--and I just try to not look at it and I usually wait until I feel better and try to catch up...

9. Shepherd

Shepherd Well-Known Member

Are you kidding me? Clean when you're sick? I'd just be praying I didn't end up in the hospital but I sure wouldn't worry about cleaning. If I'm really sick, I won't be doing much of anything. Sleep is a great healer.

Glad you're feeling better today.

10. big rockpile

big rockpile If I need a Shelter

Hasn't been cleaned when I'm well.Why should I start if I'm sick?? :shrug:

Hey maybe thats why your sick! Just too clean. :rolleyes:

big rockpile

11. suburbanite

suburbanite Well-Known Member

N. Calif./was USDA 9b before global warming
    pocket change, if you have the flu, sleep. Your only job is to get well.

It doesn't have to be bird flu to kill you. Don't mess with it. Most things people call 'flu' aren't actually flu, and that makes people think that flu is less serious than it really is.

12. hrslvrtrailridr

hrslvrtrailridr Well-Known Member

I would only do the bare minimums when sick, heck you don't want to get sicker! Rest helps you get healthy again.
    Hey, why is it us women feel guilty when we are sick and don't do the usual housework anyway?
    I'm not a good housekeeper even when well!

13. wyld thang

wyld thang God Smacked Jesus Freak Supporter

Turtle Island/Yelm, WA "Land of the Dancing Spirit
    Just adding a yes to sleep, just go to bed and sleep, you'll get better a lot faster. Drink lots, and put tobasco or red pepper flakes on your food--that seems to help me. Also you can make a hot drink--a swish of apple cider vinegar, dollop of honey, a little chicken broth and all the tobasco/cayenne pepper you can stand(tastes liek hot and sour soup). It' will open your nose right up, and make a nice sweat(as opposed to a funky fever sweat).

I put tobasco/pepper sauce/red pepper flakes on my food when I've been exposed to sickos. I got the idea this winter, and so far I haven't gotten sick, although I've been exposed to some nasty stuff.

The sleep really works though! Good luck!

14. Jillis

Jillis Well-Known Member

I get very cranky when things get messier than usual and I don't have the strength to do anything about it.

I'm always glad when I feel better and can purge the house.

Kat---get some good probiotics capsules and take them. That will help build your immune system.