how do you get colostrum

Discussion in 'Goats' started by MillsFarmFamily, Dec 9, 2005.

1. MillsFarmFamily

MillsFarmFamily Well-Known Member

How do you get colostrum to put in the freezer for later if the kids are suppose to get it? I'm new to this (if you can't tell :) )

2. mpillow

mpillow Well-Known Member Supporter

I buy the goat colostrum at Jeffers....

3. Tracy in Idaho

Tracy in Idaho Well-Known Member Supporter

I milk the doe in the pen right after she kids -- take it to the house and heat treat it.

Are you bottle feeding kids or letting her dam raise them?

If you are dam raising, you can still take enough from her to put in the freezer.

Tracy

4. Alma

Alma Active Member

I just do the same take about a 1/4 cup depending on the mother goats supply each time I think about it about twice a day or when she looks full and if she is cooperative and is a good milker you can then put it in and lable it and pu tiit in the freezer , for future if you need it for any kink of baby animals. I freeze mine in ice cube trays just like I did when i was nursing my own children. Then its in small amouts for thawing out later if you need it. I'm in the north and its going to be a few more months before I see kids again. Take care , Alma :angel:

5. Misty

Misty Misty Gonzales

If a dam has a single kid, I will milk out the other side. You need to make sure you milk out each day though. The colostrum gets weaker each day. It contains the best antibodies for 3 days. After the three days, the kid will not absorb it. So feeding it after three days is a waste. I put it in ice trays freeze, wrap in saran to freeze. Each cube is one serving.
    You can buy the stuff from Jeffers or whoever, but it is still not as good as the real stuff. I have boers, so I don't worry about pasturizing. They get the raw stuff.

6. goatkid

goatkid Well-Known Member Supporter

I save a little milk from each doe who has extra to freeze. I write the doe's name on the bottle. I also bought some frozen cow colostrum for emergencies from a company called Azure Standard.

7. livestockmom

livestockmom Well-Known Member

I do the same as buckshotboers... take off a mom who singles. I don't pasturize the colostrum either... also, make sure you heat in warm water and not in the microwave so you don't kill those wonderful antibody properties -
    babies...wooohooo!

8. natybear

natybear Well-Known Member

The kids can only absorbe the anitibodies from colostrum for the first 6-24 hrs. But a doe has more than a baby will ever require. Therefore before she stops producing colostrum and because I bottle feed all of our babies, we only feed pure colostrum for the first day and then go into feeding milk, they do just great and we have enough for incase of emergency, its pastureized and ready to go for the next time.