How do you figure out the protein % of your grain?

Discussion in 'Goats' started by allenslabs, Mar 31, 2006.

1. allenslabs

allenslabs Saanen & Boer Breeder

Ok if I wanted to come up with my own blend of feed how do I figure out the protein level? I am wanting in it:
    Corn, Oats, Alf pellets, Mollasses, goat supplement, minerals, beet pulp, and maybe a rumen buff or some yeast. If ya can think of anything I'm missing please let me know. Otherwise can ya help me figure out a good mix of it all and then what percentage that would be? I'm trying to figure out what would be the best possible feed for my saanen dairy goats. Thanks a lot all for any and all help!!

2. mpillow

mpillow Well-Known Member Supporter

3. havenberryfarm

havenberryfarm Well-Known Member

Ok. I am going from memory here, so take it for what it is worth. Corn is 8-9 percent protein. Oats are a bit higher, but have a slightly lower feed value than corn. Alfalfa can be 14-17% depending on cutting, soil etc. You may need to add some kind of soybean meal or wheat midlings. I don't know what the protein would be on those, but it is pretty good. I don't know how those feeds affect meat and milk though. If you have enough alfalfa, you might be OK, but since you want to have 15-17% protein, you would have to feed a legume hay to make up the difference.

4. mammawof3

mammawof3 Well-Known Member

The protein level in corn is between 8% to 9%, Oats is 10%, Mollasses is 3%, Alfaifa meal is 17%, mineral is 0% Beet pulp I do not know the feed mill can tell you what it runs, the goat supplement depends on which one you use.
    The way to figure it is easy say you mix sometime up like this add the protien totals up and divide by amount feed total
    Total lbs total protien
    500lbs corn @ 9% protien = 5x9= 45 protien
    100lbs oats @ 10% = 1x10= 10
    200lbs supplement @ 34% = 2x34= 68
    5lbs salt @ 0 = = 0
    10lbs mol @ 3% = .1x3= .3
    5lbs mineral @ 0 = = 0
    total feed total protien
    820 lbs or 8.2 123.3
    So it would be 123.3 divide by 8.2 = 15% protien per hundred pounds of feed.

5. allenslabs

allenslabs Saanen & Boer Breeder

Awesome! Thanks!!