how do you feed a LGD

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Batt, Oct 25, 2006.

1. Batt

Batt In Remembrance Supporter

Houdinanny, Queen of the herd and local escape artist has decided she likes the dog food we have been feeding Bat our Grt Pyr guard dog. Bat doesn't like an audience (me) when he eats and if he leaves it alone for more than a minute the queen tries to eat it all. When I put him and the food in a different enclosure he just lays down and looks like he is being punished.

What is your solution? Surely I am not the only one who has had this problem.

2. ozark_jewels

ozark_jewels Well-Known Member Supporter

I take a cattle panel, attach it to the fence near where the goats like to lounge, bend it in a "U" shape and attach the other end to the fence as well, only tip it up and leave about a 6"-12" gap between the ground and the panel. I then feed my LGD inside that panel. They squeeze beneath the panel while the goats lounge and eat what they want. My goats that like to eat dogfood are all large so do not get in. For my LGD's that are with my dairy herd, I simply feed them first thing after I put the does in the holding pen. By the time the does are milked and out, the dogs are finished.

3. Bearfootfarm

Bearfootfarm Hello, hello....is there anybody in there.....? Supporter

I feed my Maremmas seperately from the sheep. Bigfoot is VERY possessive of his food and can slam a 175 lb ewe to the ground when he wants to.

[​IMG]

4. SherrieC

SherrieC Well-Known Member

beautiful dog!
    I feed mine in the alley area of the barn, my LGD can sqeeze thru the bars on my red gate. However since some day she may be too large. I also Have trained her to come thru the gate when I say come, and make motions with my hands. This is the gate I open twice a day to milk goats, I open and the two I call come thru, then I bring back those two, and trade them for two more. Athena is always either in with the goats or in the alley. I usually feed her twice a day. if she hears food hit the pan she comes a running! :hobbyhors

5. copperpennykids

copperpennykids Well-Known Member Supporter

You can also build a little teardrop pen off the main pen and cut the main fence that connects to it down to about 2-3 feet high. Your Pyr will jump in and out as he pleases, and the goats don't try to jump in. (Keep it small ). Note that this was done with Boers who aren't nearly as naughty as dairy goats....:)

6. Cashs Cowgirl

Cashs Cowgirl Well-Known Member Supporter

My two are quite possesive of their food. They will not let the goats or sheep near their bowls. They give a warning growl and most of the time they move on to the grass...if they don't then a quick mouthy snap comes. My dogs have never put their mouths on the animals, but they know then that they mean business and definitely move on.

7. Concrete Cowboy

Concrete Cowboy Well-Known Member

I feed my Pyr raw chicken. The goats really are not interested.