How do you eat your pigs feet?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Shagbarkmtcatle, Dec 30, 2004.

1. Shagbarkmtcatle

Shagbarkmtcatle Hillybilly cattle slaves

cause I got several packages of them that I want out of my freezer. They kindly gave them to me after I had my 3 hogs buthered. OOOOwwww. I remember my granddaddy used to love his pickled pigs feet and seeing those ole things floating around in the jar in his ice box. And then him chewing them down. Now I'm gonna make me myownself puke remembering this :haha:
    Laura Lynn

2. moonwolf

moonwolf Well-Known Member

Yeah, my old dad was a fan of pickled pigs knuckles and pigs feet. :no:

How about using your pig's feet in a bean or split pea soup recipe? I don't know what else, except maybe in using the gelatin you could get from it in making some head cheese, but you need other stuff for that.

3. big rockpile

big rockpile If I need a Shelter

Love Pickled Pigs Feet,lap that sweet sour jell right up :p I'm going to have to get me some.

big rockpile

4. Shagbarkmtcatle

Thanks for the suggestion but I have to confess, forgive me for I have a weak stomach. I know I cant' get it down. Mind over matter but I am weak. I really think I could starve myself before eating certain things because I would puke up anything I found disgusting so what's the point of forcing it down?

5. BCR

BCR Well-Known Member

Well, sounds like it is time for a treat for your dogs. One at a time mind you. With your supervision for safety, etc.

I don't eat them, but hate to see waste. So my dog's or friends get these types of things.

6. big rockpile

big rockpile If I need a Shelter

Bad as my ex throwing a bucket full of Fries to the Dogs :waa: Just not right!

Woman I have now will brings them home by the bags full. :D

big rockpile

7. mamabear

mamabear Well-Known Member

I love pig knuckles boiled until tender in salted water, then add noodles and cook 'til tender. Yummm! Gives them noodles a wonderful good flavor and the meat just falls off the boils.
    You could also cut them off right above the foot, then smoke them to use later in beans.
    mamabear

8. jejabean

jejabean Well-Known Member

Boiled with hot sauce!!!

9. mamabear

mamabear Well-Known Member

Got so excited while ago that I said to cook it 'til it falls off the "boils" That should have been bones. Talking about food cuts off blood supply to my brain.
    mamabear

10. vicki in NW OH

vicki in NW OH Well-Known Member

Hey, they still sell pickled pig's feet at our local small grocery. My great grandpa ate them every night before he went to bed, washing them down with a shot of bourbon. Lived to be 103.

11. southerngurl

southerngurl le person Supporter

Bury them deep in the back field.

12. Shagbarkmtcatle

I LOVE Southerngurls solution. Thanks a bunch and a Happy New Year to you!!!

Laura Lynn- Do you think they will compost well? LOL :haha:

13. bumpus

bumpus Well-Known Member

Your question was;

" How do you eat your pigs feet? "

Usually after they have been cut off of the pig ! ! ! :rolleyes:

Myself I like to eat pig feet one at a time,
    real slow, so I can enjoy them. :D

Don't want to make a HOG out of myself
    by eating them all at one time. :eek:

Know what I mean
    do you get the point :confused: ? ? ?

Now where are the pigs tails ? ? ? :eek:

14. cowgirlone

cowgirlone Well-Known Member

Ditto!

15. Bob_W_in_NM

Bob_W_in_NM Well-Known Member

I'll go for the dog food option. Pigs feet aren't suitable for human consumption!

16. mightybooboo

mightybooboo Well-Known Member

I LOVE pickled pigs feet,any recipes on how you make em?
    BooBoo

17. inc

inc Well-Known Member

they boil out to a grey dishwater looking broth- am i doing it wrong???
    how do we 'pickle' them? is there a way to do it without canning them.

18. Ed K

Ed K Well-Known Member

inc,

the Slovak preparation my Grandma (BaBa) used to use is as follows and is really more of a jellied pigs feet rather than a "pickled" pigs feet:

Singe the feet over a gas flame to remove any hairs. Cover with water and bring to a boil. Pitch the water and repeat. Skim any foam that rises and reduce to a simmer. If you don't remove the foam or boil too fast the broth will come out cloudy or gray. I might remember something about not using an aluminum pot too. We usually add a few spoonfuls small handfull of whole peppercorns and a small amount of vinegar. After several hours of simmering the meat starts to fall off the bones you can either pick the bones out and distribute the meat across the bottom of a glass dish or leave the bones in if you wish. Pour the broth on top and let cool. The fat can be scraped off. As it cools it will form a rather firm gelatin. Usually you serve with the bottom side up since it looks more appealing. Drizzle a little apple cider vinegar on top and sprinle on some black pepper. This is something my BaBa would make in the fall only at butchering time. It's probably an acquired taste that helps if you acquire it at a younger age.
    I made them but couldn't convince my 8 and 4 year old to try them

The flavor is a little bland but the unique texture of the gelatin and the meat really makes the dish

19. southerngurl

southerngurl le person Supporter

Isn't this enough to tell you they need to be buried deep in the back field?

20. Thumbbuddy

Thumbbuddy Well-Known Member

Ed K, when you say pitch the water I assume you mean throw out the first boil and repeat and save the second batch to boil Slovak Granny Ba BA never would tell us how to make it and mine always came out gray even with a slow boil, maybe I still boiled it too fast? Will try again. Black pepper and lemon was what she would add. How I miss that. never bury them in the back yard, what a waste.