how do you dress out/butcher a turkey?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by ponyexpress, Oct 5, 2004.

1. ponyexpress

ponyexpress Well-Known Member

Anybody got any ideas on how to clean a wild turkey? Maybe there's a book I could buy or something? Our one attempt at cleaning/cooking/eating a goose was a disaster, and it was the first thing DH ever cooked that was completely inedible! Even my dog wouldn't eat it!

2. opus

opus Well-Known Member

Kill it, pluck it, gut it. :eek:)

3. bethlaf

bethlaf Homegrown Family

clean like large chicken
    cut off breasts, package and freeze
    for another time, then taking large stainless steel pot, put in bird, and 3 gallons water, set to boil , after 1 hour , remove turkey carcass, set side to cool and debone
    to pot add
    2 large onions , chopped,
    10 carrots, peeled
    6 potatoes, diced
    6 stalk celery
    1 chopped yellow or green pepper ( add with cooked rukey, right at the end , otherwise it will overpower it flavor wise)
    1T salt,
    1/2T pepper
    1t sage
    1t thyme
    1/2t sweet basil
    4-5 cloves garlic

cook for 20 minutes, by then turkey will be coole enough to debone , and chop , and add back to pot ,
    seperate into meal size portions and freeze,
    when ready to make for dinner, add either noodles or wild rice/barley ( personally i prefer barly rice and millet, with wild turkey, somehow it just tastes "right")

Wild turkey Breast

while still semi frozen , shop into bite size pieces
    in wok , heat olive oil, add turkey,stir fry till nearly done
    turn down to simmer add
    garlic 2 cloves,
    1Tsoy sauce
    1Tworchestershire sauce
    simmer for 3-5 minutes, just long enough to cook the garlic

serve with wild rice pilaf, or red potatoes and garlic

4. deberosa

deberosa SW Virginia Gourd Farmer!

For wild game I think it's best to get the "guts" out soon after killling it.

5. LWB

LWB Well-Known Member

My wife cleans the wild turkeys I kill. She sits in the floor and pulls all the feathers out that she can. She then holds the bird over a burner on the stove to singe the pin feathers off. She then guts it and washes it real good. It is wrapped in foil and put in freezer until time to put on water smoker or in turkey fryer whole.

6. ponyexpress

Thanks everyone! I didn't want DH to shoot a turkey and then us not be able to eat it.
    We'll try the recipes, Beth. They all sounded good!

7. woolyfluff

woolyfluff Well-Known Member

go to you nearest book store get Carla Emery her frist one Just about any question anout Homesteadin you might need to know is in there

8. MorrisonCorner

MorrisonCorner Mansfield, VT for 200 yrs

Maybe the goose issue was caused by knicking the oil gland at the base of the tail (or not being aware it was there?)? I understand that if you get the oil into the meat it really is noxious.

9. ponyexpress

Dumb me! I completely forgot to look in Carla's book. Pulled it off the shelf and gave it to DH. He has been absorbed for over an hour!
    I think mainly what he wanted to know was whether he should scald it first, or gut it first. Carla says "scald" so thats what we'll do.
    I don't know if he knicked the oil gland or not with the duck. I just know it was awful. Are ducks supposed to taste like liver?