How do you deal with Trash?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by bgak47, Jun 6, 2005.

1. bgak47

bgak47 Well-Known Member

How do you deal with trash on the homestead? We live in the city most of the time & only visit our country place on weekends. We have a burn barrel for some of our trash, but we take the recycleables like glass bottles & cans back with us. I have a small compost pile in the city for my garden, but it has to be small because of the neighbors. I'm just wondering what ya'll do with your trash? If you recycle, do you have to haul it somewhere & how far would that be? We'll be moving to our country place in a couple of years to live there permanantly & any advice would be helpful. Thanks, Bill.

2. NWSneaky

NWSneaky Well-Known Member

Our neighbor was a bulldozer operator; he is very aged and ill now. He just dug a big pit for us and about every ten years you have it back-filled and a new one dug; BTW burning it once-a-year keeps it going for a lifetime. And NO --- don't lecture me about all those "laws". Around here we are fortunate enough to still have cops and officials that are "country" and believe in don't ask, don't tell. I do believe in recycling so all metal cans and such go to a center in our little town.

3. Quint

Quint Well-Known Member

Burnable stuff goes in the burning barrel. Most everything can be burnt. Compostable yard waste and the like goes into the compost pile. Glass and non-burnable stuff I put in a separate trash can in the house and store it in a large bin until I haul it off to the dump. Usually once a year or so is plenty as most stuff can be burnt. I rinse any food residue from the cans or glass so pests and odor aren't a problem. The metal and glass then gets dumped at the regular landfill. Costs under 10 bucks. I could dump it all for free since nearly all of it is metal and glass but I don't care to paw though my trash like a starving raccoon and separate it and tie it all up with a pretty pink ribbon and bow as the recycling outfits requires.

4. HilltopDaisy

HilltopDaisy Well-Known Member Supporter

When I first moved to my land, the township folks (the ones who issued the permit for my mobile home) gave me the phone # to the local trash collecter. They charge $70 per quarter, which meant I would pay about $10 for every bag of trash they picked up!! I burn papers, recycle everything that I possibly can, and pay $2 per quarter, as I only go to the landfill every three months.

5. Mid Tn Mama

Mid Tn Mama Well-Known Member Supporter

We haul our own garbage so we are careful about what we buy and what goes into the garbage. We are lucky enough to have a recycle center that we can take our cans and aluminum. I save glass for SIL's recycling center.

We compost all paper products that we can. Cereal, cream cheese, cake and whatever boxes are used as paths in the garden. All other paper is shredded and put in the compost. important papers and newspapers are shredded and used around plants as mulch (covered with grass clippings). Has turned clay soil into rich organic soil with lots of worms!

6. Elizabeth

Elizabeth Well-Known Member Supporter

Guess it depends upon what you view as trash and what is treasure, lol! We don't generate a whole lot of trash with just two of us here, and we recycle a lot of it. Glass, plastic, and cans go to the recycling drop off location in town. Some magazines also go there, and most advertising fliers and catalogs, although lately some of them have been finding their way into the trash :no: We don't seem to have any aluminum cans since I cut back on soda, but I guess if we did they would go to the Scout's recycling collection. As we grow more of our own food and do more canning and preserving we expect to have a lot less cans and bottles to haul away in the future.

ALL food waste is recycled on the farm- most of it goes to the chickens, meat and bone scraps go to the dogs (either raw, or cooked for 24 hours first), a few things go to the worms (coffee grounds, tea bags, potato peelings, banana peels, mostly), where they get recycled into the most beautiful worm castings for the garden.

Most paper (except glossy stuff) gets shredded and either added to the chicken/rabbit bedding, used as worm bedding, or saved to use as packaging material when shipping honey and/or ebay stuff. Some newspaper is saved for wrapping jars to ship, to use to start the bee smokers, and the wood stove in the winter, and to mulch around new plantings of trees and berry bushes. We used to take cardboard to the recycle center, but since starting our garden this spring we have been using it all under wood chips in the garden paths to keep weeds down. We actually had to go out and get more boxes at the store because we ran out :haha:

We do not burn any of our trash- whatever is left after recycling gets picked up every two weeks by a private hauler at a cost of $14.27/month. That sounds high to me, but I'm sure we are going to get our money's worth in the end- the family that DH bought this place from lived here for over 80 years- they were the original owners. They did NOT have trash pickup, lol, and the woods on our place are just filled with decade's worth of trash. I am starting to very slowly pick it up and stuff it in old feed sacks which I put out with our household trash. I suppose in about 10 years I'll have all the small stuff cleared out- we may have to haul some of the big stuff ourselves to the local landfill.

7. edcopp

edcopp Well-Known Member

When you develop a frugal life style you will no longer be able to afford trash. :cool:

8. snoozy

snoozy Well-Known Member Supporter

Recycle recyclables and compost compostibles. Then I collect actual trash in the back of my pickup till I have a full load and then I take it to a city dump. I go months without a dump run. Of course, it is sometimes inconvenient if the truck is half full of garbage and I need to haul other stuff. Takes some strategizing. Also it does get pretty ripe sometimes...nobody has tried to steal my truck though :haha: !

9. littlebitfarm

littlebitfarm Scotties rule! Supporter

I burn feed sacks and baling twine. Metal is tossed in a pile and goes to the salvage yard when I get a load. It pays enough to cover the price of gas for the trip. I produce less than a kitchen wastebasket of household waste a week. My employer has okayed throwing it in the dumpster at work. Price is right! <G>

Kathie

10. Meg Z

Meg Z winding down

We compost what we can, recycle what they'll take (we haul, but a pickup point is less than two miles away), and burn some. I'd burn more, but getting the windless days frequently enough was a problem, and then I'm overflowing with paper!

I do take care not to burn anything I don't want in the garden, since the ash goes in the compost. So, no plastics or treated lumber, and such as that.

Hubby has a huge trash can set up by his table saw to catch the sawdust from all the lumber. Since some of it is treated, he uses that in with sand in his horseshoe pits, which are well away from my garden.

After all that, we still ahve trash, but I keep trying to cut down on it. :(

Meg

11. Helena

Helena Well-Known Member

Years ago the township would have the trash trucks at the township buildings on Saturdays for us to take our trash..free of charge. Guess it was included in our $30 a year township taxes back then. But they stopped it and even then if you worked on Saturdays you were out of luck. always tried to burn the dry stuff but it was a mess. So..now we do actually have a truck from a private owner that comes up and down the dirt roads picking up the bags on the side of the road. We have a dumpster for $42 a month and get that picked up twice a month. It is well worth it for me since I can put pretty much anything into it..including the kitchen sink which we actually have. The local wildlife doesn't get into the bags and neither do the family pets drag trash all over the place. It is a "luxery" I enjoy. Find out if they do have a local trash company that could come to your place.

12. MaKettle

MaKettle Well-Known Member

Al cans go into a box for the library to recycle. Plastics, cans, etc. go to the town recyle drop off. Plastic sacks go to the supermarket recycle hopper. Magazines go the library. Newspapers and any other papers or cardboard that can be used in the garden are stored for mulch. Shredded papers and nonedible foodstuffs go into the compost. Edible scraps go to the chickens. That leaves us with one, sometimes two, plastic grocery bags of refuse per week that is dropped off at the dumpster where my son lives. When doing the deep clean/pitch out the junk routine, I have a friend in town who will let me leave off the stuffed feed sacks on curb pick up day, and in return I haul off her bags of grass and leaves.

13. Philbee

Philbee Well-Known Member

We have very little trash, what we can't reuse,recycle or repair we take to the dump. We can dump a p.u. full for around 5 dollars.We go about once a month, and as its on the way to DHs job, its no hassle.

14. Nax

Nax Well-Known Member

There's just me, my dogs, and my chickens on our homestead, so we produce very little trash. That said, my township issues a permit with our Winter taxes, and every Saturday in the Summer, and ever other Saturday in the Winter, there are garbage trucks at a nearby township hall where I can take my trash at no charge (well, other than my property taxes). Might want to check with your township to see if there are any such arrangements for your area. Curbside garbage pick up comes with property taxes in all the towns and villages in my county as well.

15. busy homestead

busy homestead Well-Known Member

We have a dumpster that we rent and is picked up by truck twice a month.
    It costs us $33 per month. But because I have 2 children in diapers and
    horrible water I use disposables most of the time. Also we have a similar
    thing as posted above, lots and lots of trash from years of neglect out in the
    trees. Was there when we moved here and we are almost done cleaning it
    up now 5 years into it. The buildings were also full of trash and junk. So every
    time the truck is scheduled to come we make sure the dumpster is full of
    trash from one place or another. I would like to do without the expense but
    for now it is very very helpful.

Christina
    athome in SD

16. Hank - Narita

Hank - Narita Well-Known Member

We burn the cardboard stuff. The other trash goes in the large barrel and is picked up once a week for $15 a month. It is a necessity for us as we have lots of trash. Never ceases to amaze me how 2 people do it. I love my trash man. Beats having to bury or recycle the stuff (no recycling in our county yet). Can't imagine saving it for a trip to the dump. Works for us.

17. Oilpatch197

Oilpatch197 Well-Known Member

Our township did that, trash trucks on Sabbath, but now they just have two huge dumpsters by the road commissioners building, YOU SURE DON'T WANT A DUMPSTER NEAR WHERE YOU LIVE!

My Great Grandma grew up on our place, they had a old seller, we simply burn our trash, then once a year empty the concrete bricked burning pit and dump it into the seller.

now we just take the trash to the dumpster, it gets emptied every monday, so it usually is VERY FULL by the weekends!

18. DW

DW plains of Colorado Supporter

We have a dumpster. When we first got it they only charged when we had it dumped and this was cheaper than going to the dump. Now they charge $10/mo and you pay additional ($25) to have it dumped. I think it's worth the money. They will really take whatever fits in the dumpster (old TV). It's almost 30 miles to a landfill and they are really picky what they take.