Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know when curing a deer or beef it is skinned and hung in a cool barn or cooler for 7 to 10 days but I never did a pig. Someone is going hunting this weekend and is giving me his pig. He is sure he will get at least one. Someone who knows the correct way to do this I would appreciate hearing from you.

·
Registered
3,062 Posts
I wasn't going to answer this one as I live on the other side of the world and things can sometimes be done differently. In my hey-day I did a lot of pig hunting and the pig was treated in exactly the same way as we would have treated a domestic pig.

Because our pig hunting was able to be done reasonably close to home, and because most Kiwi's prefer the skin on, the pig would be taken home and scalded, gutted and left to hang in a cool place until the next day before butchering. If further away from home, we would do a "bush scald" which in reality means lighting a fire and singing the hair off. It would then be gutted and taken home, hung and butchered the next day.

There is no need to hang a pig for long lengths of time and to do so without the advantage of a chiller runs the risk of bone tainted meat.

Cheers,
Ronnie

1 - 4 of 4 Posts