How do you cool off your dogs?

Discussion in 'Working and Companion Animals' started by katlupe, Jul 31, 2006.

1. katlupe

katlupe Off-The-Grid Homesteader Supporter

How do you all keep your dogs cool in this hot weather? Especially dogs with thick hair? My dog is a big one with very thick hair. She is part lab, and this is the first year that the heat has bothered her this badly. She is 8 years old and maybe it's the age thing (I know it bothers me more now that I am older too).

We live off the grid, so we do not have the option of air conditioning. The main thing I have been doing is to pour water on her, as she is a water dog and does like that. But I worry about her being stressed most of the day. Her panting drives us crazy. She is a really good girl and I just wish I could help her.

Thank you for whatever ideas you can give me.

katlupe & Nikita

2. bunnypatch10

bunnypatch10 Well-Known Member

If I am right, most animals can cool themselves. But they need fresh, cool water and a shady place to lay. The grass will help to cool them. Bringing them inside after being in the heat, will not help them, it will just make it worse on most animals. The sun is really bad for them. Keep them shady and watered.

3. catahoula

catahoula Well-Known Member

I cool mine with a river, but that's just because I happen to have one handy.

4. Sherrynboo

Sherrynboo Well-Known Member Supporter

Two of mine prefer being inside with the AC on. When Chloe can't come in she will go to the creek every few hours and take a dip. The reason she can't come in sometimes is she is filthy from the creek and dirt she finds to roll in.

Sherry in GA

5. designer

designer Well-Known Member

We have a livestock water trough(sp?) fiberglass or something, we fill up with the hose. A tarp over the lot and sand. Our outside dog gets wet in the trough then digs in the sand and lays there to stay cool.

6. Mountaineer

Mountaineer Well-Known Member

Sprinkler- some dogs will enjoy it.
    Cool shady damp grass, even wet it every so often.
    Get one of those cheap 6' across kiddie pools. Throw cookies in there if she won't go in. They'll figure it out if you work on it.

I hope others offer more ideas. I live in a really sunny spot and have to bring the dogs to work or they'd cook.

7. HiouchiDump

HiouchiDump Well-Known Member

When its really hot, I give them blocks of ice to lick. They love it. They will sit there and lick a block of ice for ten minutes and then go take a nap.

8. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Keep a little kiddie pool filled with water in the shade. They love to splash and play in it or just get wet and cool off. Summer fun for a dog. :)

9. BeckyW

BeckyW Well-Known Member

Ditto Songbird's suggestion. Years ago we raised American Eskimo breed dogs in southern California and kept a kiddie wading pool in the shade for them. When they got hot, they'd walk through it or go stand in it a while and drink.
    BW

10. moonwolf

moonwolf Well-Known Member

11. Tango

Tango Well-Known Member

Avoid getting to the point where they need to be cooled off. Yesterday there was a heat advisory here and the weather folks told people to stay inside in a/c. I live off grid too. No a/c. No fan. My dogs and I ride out the heat in the shade, sitting by the springs, and they swim. Work is a :nono: from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m.

12. katlupe

katlupe Off-The-Grid Homesteader Supporter

Thank you all! I think I will buy one of those plastic pools, and I know she'd love it. We have a creek nearby, and she does love to go in there, but it's not as convenient as a pool would be. She just wants to sleep on the cool floor in the bathroom, and not do any walking.

keep cool!

katlupe

13. suitcase_sally

suitcase_sally Well-Known Member Supporter

We have a Lab and a Siberian Husky. The Lab will use the kiddie pool, but - now get this - the Husky goes and lays IN THE SUN!!! 98 deg. and the dog lays in the sun! I thought being a SIBERIAN that she would die in such heat. Go fiqure...