Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Halfway, OR & Wagoner, OK
3,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our driveway and walkways have become blackened and parts have green algae on them. I have sprayed them down thoroughly twice to remove the dirt, but they are still discolored.

We live in Oklahoma and the climate is hard on everything.

I was wondering if I could spray it with bleach and then rinse it off. Would bleach harm the concrete? It's already getting pitted in places. The building was built in the 70's, so it's starting to show some age.

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
Muriatic acid is probably the best thing to use. Bleach may work, but not as well. Either will dictate rubber boots/gloves and eye protection. Bleach may not be as hard on the adjoining plant life.

·
Registered
528 Posts
WARNING

Do not use the acid full strength. It will destroy the cement.
Dilute it half with water and try it. Have a water hose ready to wash it away.

Keep testing to see what strength to use.

·
Registered
414 Posts
We just did that this past weekend with a power washer we rented from our local hardware store. What fun! And boy! what a difference. We just used plain water.

·
Premium Member
3,845 Posts
You can't beat a pressure washer. Our patio holds water and doesn't drain off, therefore, algae forms after a period of time. We had neglected cleaning it for a while and I stepped out onto it after a rain and slipped. I caught myself before falling, but it wouldn't have been a pretty sight. Now, we try to keep it pressure washed often.

·
Halfway, OR & Wagoner, OK
3,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
dANg! We had a good power-washer and somebody stole it off of our porch.

I just went out there--it's hot in Oklahoma today and it sure looks a whole lot better. I'm going to try some Basic G & H (from Shaklee) tomorrow--first.

Then I thought I'd go once for the bleach.

The muriatic acid sounds too scary for me.

Thanks for all the good input everybody. As usual!

·
Be powerful. No other option exists.
38,811 Posts
Power washer. No chemicals necessary! :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts