How do you celebrate Labor Day?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Ravenlost, Sep 6, 2004.

1. Ravenlost

Ravenlost Well-Known Member Supporter

Around here we celebrate Labor Day by, well, laboring! My parents always told us we had to labor as hard as possible on Labor Day...lol. Today hubby is going to continue clearing out a thick stand of willows at one end of the front pond (we think this is part of our water moccasin problem) and I will labor in the house.

We may grill sausages for supper and cut a watermelon.

So, what are your Labor Day plans?

2. Nina

Nina Well-Known Member

DH and DS are working on a picnic table that's been in the works for some time. I'm doing laundry and various chores. Grandmom's coming 'cause she loves having hot dogs! So it's burgers and dogs tonight.

3. ratherbefishin

ratherbefishin Well-Known Member

going to the fall fair, it's one of the longest continuing running fall agricultural fairs here, over 100 years.I like the old equipment, the 4H club displays,horse showing, farm animal judging events, and all the display booths.The kids head for the midway.The family tradition is for the kids[ and grand kids] to come home to our place after and have barbequed salmon ,potatoe salad, corn on the cob, and blackberry pie and ice cream.

4. Irish Pixie

Irish Pixie Limp Bisket LOL

Like you, Ravenlost, I'm laborin'. I did laundry and hung it out, all the usual stuff-horse chores, let the chickens out, etc. Worked in the garden-what a dismal garden this year it was just too cool and wet to get a decent tomato. We did get some cherry tomatoes but very, very few paste tomatoes and one heirloom. The polebeans did well, and the brussel sprouts look good. I have to go out behind the barn to check the winter squash yet...but it looks like a bumper crop of two different types of acorn.

If I have time I'm going to vacuum the sun porch.

I'm having my oldest DD and her SO out for supper-roast chicken, mashed potatoes and gravy, pole beans, and pudding for dessert.

Right now, I'm taking time to play with the kitties. Some jerk dumped off a momma cat and 7 babies. We saved the momma and 5 of the kittens, however a coyote got Momma and I gave away 2 kittens, so the 3 that are left have decided that I'm the best thing since sliced bread.

Back to my laborin'. Hope you all have a good day.

Stacy in NY

5. peanutgreen

peanutgreen Well-Known Member

Ravenlost-Does your hubby kill those with a rock like he does cottonwoods? :haha:

We usually like to go fishing, but this year we are getting ready to go to Colorado for hubby's elk-hunting trip. I have to get all the laundry done, clean stuff out of the fridge that might spoil, start packing, etc. I also want to clean the house really well before we go.

I like getting paid to stay home and labor for my own benefit and still get paid by my employer. Do you think we could invent more holidays like this one?

6. BamaSuzy

BamaSuzy Well-Known Member

we're laborin' as usual too. Husband worked all day replacing windows in a woman's house and I've worked all day for the newspaper (interviewed a guy just back from the Republican National Convention, went to the jail and got my arrest list, went to 911 dispatch, and then home the rest of the day writing frantically and making a zillion phone calls!)

7. Ravenlost

Ravenlost Well-Known Member Supporter

Nah...he's killing these with a saw! ;)

8. bgak47

bgak47 Well-Known Member

I'm going to watch TV and take a nap. My Laboring was all completed on Sat.

9. Oilpatch197

Oilpatch197 Well-Known Member

I treat it as any other day, not all of us get this day off! so I stay home and get things caught up, but DARN rain is comming in, it seems to happen whenever your trying to get things done.

I don't Buy or Sell on Labor day, because some people don't get this day off like retailers and restruants, if we all wouldn't go out and buy stuff today, then those poor folks that has to work, just might get the day off.

10. Mike in Ohio

Mike in Ohio Well-Known Member

worked some relaxed some. We had planned on going down to the farm this weekend but there was a fair amount of rain on Friday. I'll be down there for a long weekend next weekend as well.

I did some extracting and filtering of honey. Melted down some beeswax. DW is cutting the grass. I had to keep an eye on the websites (my "real" job") but all was quiet. Did a little cleaning and puttering around the house.

Going to cook up some NY Strip steaks over a campfire for dinner. Had a fair number of people stop by to buy honey this weekend, so that was good.

Mike

11. almostthere

almostthere Well-Known Member

The 3rd is our wedding anniversary. then labor day, then MIL's birthday. We pull the democratic float in the labor day parade. Wave the flag, throw candy. Take turns napping and visiting family. Tomorrow we get to return the float to its home in the next town, fix a broken gas tank on my car, and replace the pipes under the kitchen sink after he gets home from work. Doing laundry right now, debating over dinner. Tomorrow going to bake a turkey, dinner tomorrow and lunch meat for a spell.

12. breezynosacek

breezynosacek Well-Known Member

I labored all week so I wouldn't have to labor today! Yipee! Now, I am going to go and do the unthinkable! It is raining so we can't use the grill.

I am going to plop a large chicken breast in the microwave and pour some instant stuffing over it.

I am going to make instant mashed potatoes to go with it and if hubby complains, I'll tell him he shoulda asked for pizza, LOL! :haha:

13. Queen Bee

Queen Bee Well-Known Member Supporter

I worked 9 1/2 hrs. then came hoome and fed dogs, mucked out their lot, mowed about 1/2 the yard, :no: and now I am playing on here.... :haha:

DH worked and has just gotten home.. sitting on the sofa watching the D----TV!

14. Gary in ohio

Gary in ohio Well-Known Member Supporter

rested up a bit from vacation last week, worked on the chicken pen this morning then went to the county fair for demolishion derby this evening. Grabbed some extra fair food to go and headed home.

15. desnri

desnri Well-Known Member

We had a great day. This our third year to have our Labor Day Shindig. Lots of food that all share in bringing. Rifle shooting contest, paintball, horseshoes and lots of food. This year we had about 40 people here on the farm. Everyone had a great time. Now it's time to veg in front of the TV.

16. cloverfarm

cloverfarm Well-Known Member

Since this is DD's birthday, a lot of people celebrated with her :D Grandma and Grandpa had us over for pizza which was fun. However, tomorrow its back to tschool and the kids are fussing about that.

DS1 got to ride in the big tractor disking with Grandpa. DD fliew her kite. DS2 found magic markers and tattooed himself just in time for dinner at Grandma and Grandpa's. :haha: DH got rained out making hay so we also listened to the Cubs game on the radio.

Basically a typical day

Ann

17. oldmanriver

oldmanriver Well-Known Member

Broke new ground for a strawberry patch Went fishing played with the grandkids and ate to much.

18. dscott7972

dscott7972 Well-Known Member

After the usual morning milking I butchered a rabbit and 2 ducks, and spent the rest of the day building a chicken tractor.

"Always remember you are unique, just like everyone else"