Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Premium Member
25,412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hate mine. Got it at Radio Shack. I dont get 1/2 the channels I used to get, and most of those I do get, the picture is broken up, and I get a sign, NO SIGNAL alot. Dangit, I had to pay $22 to get it and less service. Oh well, thats the way the whole country seems to be going, pay and pay, and get less and less

·
Registered
46 Posts
I would inquire about a signal booster, to see if that will help- we only get two stations now , hate to think we will have one now! hahahaha. Aj and Denise

·
Premium Member
4,094 Posts
seems like a real rotten deal to me--THEY change my signal, without my wanting it, and now i gotta PAY? you got that right, pay more and get less. ugh.

we've not yet hooked ours up

G

·
and most of those I do get, the picture is broken up, and I get a sign, NO SIGNAL alot.
My mother hooked hers up, and that was happening with her TV too. But she studied the manual, trouble shooted, finally got it fixed.

Now it works great, better picture than before, too. And we're getting 5 channels now instead of only 4.

·
AFKA ZealYouthGuy
11,454 Posts
w/o the box I get anywhere from 5 -8 channels (depending on cloud cover/weather), with the box I get 3.

The irony is that I get 2 that I don't get on the other 5 - 8.

I am hoping that when they do the switch over that they will turn up the broadcast power on the stations that are being broadcast. I would be happy if I got abc, nbc, cbs, fox and pbs. Right now, if nothing changes I get cbs, nbc and The CW (digital that is)

Does anyone know, is Canada going over to digital too? If not I get one Canadian (Global) channel that has 24 on it. And 24 is pretty much the reason that we even care about fox.

·
Premium Member
3,845 Posts
It looks like we're going to have to get an outside antenna along with our converter box. We dropped into an electronic store today to get prices. This is just rediculous. Modern technology is setting us back to the days of high outside antennas. I don't get this picture. Where's the improvement here?

·
Premium Member
12,677 Posts
We still don't have the converter. It'd be fine with me to go without TV since I rarely watch it anyway. We have a TV tower, tall son-of-a-gun, that we had installed almost 30 years ago. Does the converter box go on the outside antenna or somewhere on the TV? And do you have to have a digital TV along with the box? :shrug:

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
If you live out in the country you can't expect to hook you new digital converter box up to rabbit ears or your 20 year old antenna, feedline and connectors and expect it to perform miracles.

Hook your box up to a high quality outside antenna, mounted high, fitted with a rotor to aim it, a preamp and high quality coax then you will probably end up getting more stations than you ever did in the past.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I just read that the digital conversion won't affect "low power stations"... of course I have no idea what they are. Supposedly they wills still broadcast in analog.
Go here http://www.antennaweb.org/aw/welcome.aspx and find every station you can get at your house.

"AntennaWeb.org mapping program, provided by the Consumer Electronics Association (CEA) and the National Association of Broadcasters (NAB)" if you don't trust most links.

·
Semper Fidelis
4,609 Posts
Low power stations are "translaters" that rebroadcast TV signals on the upper UHF channels - to areas that are not covered by the main signal due to geographic locations/ in the shadows of hills, valleys, etc......

Besides my two set top digital converter boxes - I have a high quality multi-element outdoor antenna at 30 feet above ground, an antenna rotor, new RG-6 (75 ohm impediance) coaxial feedline, a pre-amplifer, and I still get fewer stations now. Most of our local TV stations have allready stopped analog broadcasts and have gone to transmitting digital signals only - I lost 3 channels (CBS, FOX, and a spanish station), and gained 1 - a second PBS channel (PBS World).. The digital converter signal strenght meter shows no signal, yet when I was getting the analog signals, I could watch the programming with no problems!

I refuse to get satellite TV, and cable doesn't even come this far up the hill.

·
Premium Member
18,153 Posts
Two possible reasons why you are getting less channels now:

1. Some stations are only partially powering their digital signals now. On Feb. 17 they'll provide full power to their digital signal and reception will likely be better then.

2. Not all stations are broadcasting their digital signal yet....they are probably waiting until Feb. 17 to do so.

·
AFKA ZealYouthGuy
11,454 Posts
Go here http://www.antennaweb.org/aw/welcome.aspx and find every station you can get at your house.

"AntennaWeb.org mapping program, provided by the Consumer Electronics Association (CEA) and the National Association of Broadcasters (NAB)" if you don't trust most links.
Thanks for the link. Been there before. It doesn't tell the question that I asked and also it says I can only receive one channel at my location... so I don't put a lot of faith in that website. Especially when you have to "pick" the antenna (which they happen to sell) to use.

I found a huge aerial from Craigslist for free that we put up that seems to work for us.

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
I'm not going to get one. I have no desire to tie myself to the TV and not my kids either. We gave up satellite almost 2 years ago and I don't miss it I get my news from the INternet sites and the paper.

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
Thats why i have a radio seed. And out local tv is not very dependab;le around here people call you with the news faster than the tv tells it!

·
Premium Member
4,951 Posts
I needed a new roof antenna before my box would work. I now get everything I used to get years ago with the old roof antenna before it kept shedding parts until it was shot. Actually, more come in, come to think of it. The PBS stations broadcast several stations at a time, now, and also I get Fox, which I never got before. With rabbit ears only one station came in.

There's not a lot on TV, but it's nice to have the option just the same. There are some days when the "company" in the background is nice.

Jennifer

·
Green Woman
1,957 Posts
I currently only get one (the website says 8 or so) - I'm in a huge dead spot in my county.

However, I'm also running off old antenna wiring that's been up for 20+ years. My pre-amp helps some.

And I get fierce winds here in Indiana off and on and it burned up the rotor. And I have huge trees all around me... I'll have to get someone out to change out the antenna wiring and direct the antenna in the optimal direction.

I bought two boxes. One has the analog pass-through and it's crap. It doesn't hold a signal at all. The other box works much better. I wish I'd bought two of the same instead of one analog pass through...

*sigh*

Once a get my chainsaw fixed maybe I'll see about getting my antenna tower rewired and such...

·
Miniature Horse lover
25,219 Posts
Those there are getting less channels did you let the Box Do the Channel Search? And when it did that was the antenna turned so that ALL channels would show up???
If not remember most all outside antennas are Directional, So you may have to turn the antenna and run the Channel Search again.
Also The New Channels are NOT broadcasting digital signal on their old number~! UHF is what they are on all Above channel 13. Like YES our NBC station is 13. They are broadcasting both Signals BUT Analog is on 13. The digital signal is at 13.1 . another one is 18 the Digital one is 18 Point 1, and so on. I picked up 5 MORE Educational channels when I was all done~!! And had to run the Search Twice Myself because some stations were North and North East and 3 were 90 miles South of me~! So I then had to turn the antenna in that direction South and run the Search again.~! Now I have them all showing up.
You must have the box search for the channels maybe more then once maybe as many times as 3 to "Catch" all the others that are not being picked up without the antenna pointed different.

·
Premium Member
18,153 Posts
arabian knight, are you saying that after Feb. 17 there will be no need for VHF antennas? In other words, only UHF antennas will be needed? If so, "rabbit ears" (used for VHF signals) won't pick up any digital programming...right? If I'm not mistaken, those round antennas are the ones that pick up the UHF signals and thus the new digital signals.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts