Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Appalachian American
10,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, maybe I should have used the *Rant* disclaimer on the title. We decided to rent a truck (I won't use the name of the company, but you've all seen their big ORANGE trucks) for our move, since the weather won't be agreeable to using the open trailer.

Rose and the kids drove me overto the rental place to get the ORANGE rental truck, and waited outside while I went in to do the paperwork. It was also a video rental store, as well as selling imitation military surplus. You could tell that it had been in business for many years (who would open a video rental place now?), and the old guy behind the counter was the owner. He was sitting in the back, tapping away at a computer keyboard with one finger, his back turned to the front door.

I know that he was aware of my presence, since an alarm sounded each time the door was open. There were two other people in the place, both wandering around absently scanning the videos as though they were waiting for him as well. I stood waiting for quite some time, hoping he would finish whatever he was doing and at least acknowledge my presence, but that didn't happen. He did answer the phone a couple of times, and grumbled something about "That's twice that thing's kicked me off!"

At this point, I was ready to walk out, but I really needed the truck. I know from previous experience that the company that rents the ORANGE trucks won't bother to live up to any promises they might make on customer service or satisfaction guarantees. I finally left and took the kids to McD's for lunch and came back a half hour or so and waited awhile longer.

I did finally get the ORANGE rental truck (after watching the old guy back one into someone's car), and headed home, but I wasted about two hours in the process. :flame:

All of this is leading up to one question: When you see people working hard and trying their best to build a good business and failing, how do guys like this manage to make a living? Surely in a place as big as CHRISTIANSBURG, VA., competition should be strong enough to demand better service than this.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Deaconjim,
This is one of my big gripes, if he is the owner not much you can do other than take your business elsewhere. I had a smaller deal on the way to church a couple of weeks ago running a little late but needed to gas, up went in to pay, two cashiers chatting with each other, neither would stop talking long enough to take my money so after a few minutes I asked them to please take my money. Well that was bad for me to bother them, so next morning I went an talked to manager got an apology. Oh and neither of the two are there working.
Glenn

·
Registered
9,589 Posts
..............You shoulda stopped by the office supply and purchased one of those little "I'm Here" bells when you left and taken it in with you when you returned and ring his dinger until he waited on you . , fordy

·
Failure is not an option.
2,623 Posts
Hey.

The Orange Trucks are maintained like carp. I've rented 3 times from them...worn tires,dirty,old with lots of mileage,,and run down. One of them had a bad flywheel and took multiple attempts to start it because the worn teeth didn't want to mesh with the starter. I asked the guy why he didn't fix it and he said it was taking forever to get the repair authorized. Also, some of the larger trucks only come with a stick shift. I had to do all the driving for three days, since my wife only knows how to drive automatics. The song "On A Wing And A Prayer" comes to mind when driving an Orange Truck;-)

I prefer to rent from Penske (yellow). Their trucks are newer, they're alot cleaner, great tires, everything works right, and you can get a large truck with an automatic transmission. When I rented one for three days, I basically only paid for two and got the third day free. They take pride in their fleet and customer service is top notch.

RF

·
Appalachian American
10,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey.

The Orange Trucks are maintained like carp. I've rented 3 times from them...worn tires,dirty,old with lots of mileage,,and run down. One of them had a bad flywheel and took multiple attempts to start it because the worn teeth didn't want to mesh with the starter. I asked the guy why he didn't fix it and he said it was taking forever to get the repair authorized. Also, some of the larger trucks only come with a stick shift. I had to do all the driving for three days, since my wife only knows how to drive automatics. The song "On A Wing And A Prayer" comes to mind when driving an Orange Truck;-)

I prefer to rent from Penske (yellow). Their trucks are newer, they're alot cleaner, great tires, everything works right, and you can get a large truck with an automatic transmission. When I rented one for three days, I basically only paid for two and got the third day free. They take pride in their fleet and customer service is top notch.

RF
That's one complaint I don't have with this company, all of the trucks I've rented for a one way trip have been fairly new, automatics, and in very good condition. This one is older, but I'm assuming that it's one that's reserved for local rentals. It is in good shape though.

·
Rattlin Rock Ranch
298 Posts
We will never use the orange trucks again. First time, reservered truck ahead of time. Got there no truck. had to wait several hours. Truck finally showed. But they didn't bother to clean it, garbage in the cab. It was a long move really needed truck. Second try at getting a truck. Again, reserved ahead of time. Day came, no truck. Closest they could come up with was a truck and trailer, if we where willing to drive over an hour one way to get it. Nope, didn't do it. Was able to drive the hour one way there, and 4 hours to return and borrow a trailer. At that time fuel was cheaper. I will never go with that company again. And if I was to treat a customer in the way you where treated at any of my jobs. I would no longer be employed.

·
Registered
261 Posts
I have used the big ORANGE truck company for moves. Once I had a trailer, and the once a truck. The truck's air conditioning was broken. I had three small children in the truck and it kept over heating. (I was leaving my abusive husband). We would drive a few miles and then wait for the thing to cool down, drive and then wait. We called and called for service and NO ONE ANSWERED. Drove me nuts. Drove me totally batso crazy. I was soaking wet with sweat. My kids were being remarkably good considering the circumstances and the heat and how miserable it was.

We finally got to a place right outside of Oregon in a little town in CA going South. They couldn't fix it. They asked where I was headed and they said that they could TRADE OUT the truck, but that I would have to move everything from ONE TRUCK TO THE OTHER>... hello? Single disabled mom with three kids here, and NO HELP ...can't do that.

finally limped it into LA and stayed at my in laws and took the truck over to their service center. It took them a day and a half to fix the a/c but it was finally fixed.

It worked until we hit Arizona and conked out.

Never again. Never again.

·
Premium Member
3,845 Posts
DeaconJim, maybe he's addicted to HT too and just couldn't tear himself away from his computer. (Sorry, I just had to throw that thought out) ;)

·
Premium Member
5,081 Posts
I know exactly what you mean. It seems like I get lousy service everywhere I go lately. When I actually do get good service, I make a special point of praising the employee and of letting the manager or corporate office know about it.

I also have many horror stories of the orange trucks, lol. When moving my mother from Colorado to Texas, it was a nightmare trip, finally resulting in our truck having to be towed in (ever seen a 26-foot moving van with a car hauler being towed? strange sight, lol), and we did have to move everything from that truck to another one, with NO help from the trucking company employees! I used Ryder trucks a couple of times, and although they were more expensive they were much better vehicles and I got much better service.

My last few moves, my son and his friends just moved me with his horse trailer, his flat bed trailer and a couple of pickups. Money for gas, food and drinks for the gang, sanity saved...priceless! :)

·
Appalachian American
10,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I know exactly what you mean. It seems like I get lousy service everywhere I go lately. When I actually do get good service, I make a special point of praising the employee and of letting the manager or corporate office know about it.

I also have many horror stories of the orange trucks, lol. When moving my mother from Colorado to Texas, it was a nightmare trip, finally resulting in our truck having to be towed in (ever seen a 26-foot moving van with a car hauler being towed? strange sight, lol), and we did have to move everything from that truck to another one, with NO help from the trucking company employees! I used Ryder trucks a couple of times, and although they were more expensive they were much better vehicles and I got much better service.

My last few moves, my son and his friends just moved me with his horse trailer, his flat bed trailer and a couple of pickups. Money for gas, food and drinks for the gang, sanity saved...priceless! :)
This isn't really about the company that rents the ORANGE trucks (although I have taken quite a few well deserved shots at them here), it is more about the old guy that runs the store. I can't see how he has managed to run a business this long without learning at least a little bit about good customer service! The least he could have done is acknowledged my presence, and at some point apologized for keeping me waiting.

·
I love South Dakota
5,320 Posts
Maybe the old guy doesn't really need the money anymore, and just does it out of habit more than anything.

We have a gun dealer in town, he's way more expensive even than Cabela's (about 2 miles away) and he is rude and will also ignore customers. The few times we've bought from him, we've almost had to drag him to the counter to wait on us.

Then the guy complains that Cabala's is trying to run him out of business - that has been going on since Cabala's opened, 10 years ago or so. . .

But those that know the guy, he does not really need to be running this business, but it helps support his firearms collecting activities. He has his "favorite" customers and friends he does deals for, but the rest he does not have much time for. His reasons for staying in business don't have much to do with serving customers or needing to earn enough to support himself.

Cathy

·
Premium Member
4,055 Posts
yeah...and another thing that I see lots of business do that grinds my gears, is when I'm about to be or am being waited on, the phone rings, and they take that call and help the phone customer over me. I'm the one who got off my @$$ and came out to the store. Why are they being given preferential treatment over me?

·
Registered
415 Posts
I have been noted to walk out of a business if I am ignored............they sure don't like it when you leave the items on the counter and tell them why your leaving. I also try to let "manager or owner know" why I am leaving with out a purchase.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Last time I needed a big box truck I rented it from a local ford dealership. They are more geared towards commercial but rent to anyone with a credit card. Truck was nice and the employees are professional.

I understand poor service though as I buy ammo at Walmart from time to time.

·
Appalachian American
10,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
What I can't figure out is why you did not open up your mouth and say "Hey can I get a little service here?"

Normally, I would have, but I could see that he was on the company website trying to complete some kind of transaction for someone (who I assume was one of the other customers in the store). I didn't really get upset about the wait (I knew he couldn't do mine until he'd finished the one he was working on), I was more upset because he didn't bother to acknowledge my presence or let me know he was going to be awhile.

I would have just walked out and gone somewhere else, but I'd made reservations with the company, and I really needed the truck. I couldn't take a chance on not having it for our move.

·
Banned
6,787 Posts
I move trucks for a living and I too have noticed that the Yellow trucks are mainted to a better standard than the orange ones.
Personally I prefer the Blue ones (Budget) because of the people, the Yellow people have been very Professional with good service but the Blue truck people have been a blast to deal with ! From the old fart in sacramento that had to show me all his trucks his other business and share his lunch to the way too busy guys in saint louis who held up traffic so I could get my Bike outa the back and then GAVE me a helmet cause I didnt have one.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Maybe the store is a front?? Maybe he could care less about customer service?? Maybe he could care less he he rented/sold anything?? As far as U-haul goes, i have never had a problem with them. Always clean reliable trucks. Lat time i rented a u-haul the guy threw in bout a dozen new boxes and a large appliance dolly. So i have ni problems with them.

Keep your powder dry

·
Registered
757 Posts
What I can't figure out is why you did not open up your mouth and say "Hey can I get a little service here?"
This reminds me of a favorite story about my grandfather. He was in a department store in Duluth, MN and wanted some service. He noticed some clerks in the back area, holding a conversation and peeking out at the sales floor, but not coming out to serve him. Not one to be held waiting for no reason and after waiting for a few minutes, he shouted, "Who do I have to shoot around here to get some service?" He had managers and salespeople flying out of the back rooms to wait on him.

Of course today, they would have remained cowered in those back rooms and called 911!:flame:

·
Registered
388 Posts
That's one complaint I don't have with this company, all of the trucks I've rented for a one way trip have been fairly new, automatics, and in very good condition. This one is older, but I'm assuming that it's one that's reserved for local rentals. It is in good shape though.

I've rented 3 cross-country orange and dozens of local yellow/orange. All the cross-country rentals were near new vehicles. I've never had any problems. But it helps to make reservations a week in advance and let them know what you expect.

Locals, it's hit or mess. Generally the yellows are better shape.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts