how do rams act with their lambs?

Discussion in 'Sheep' started by quiet mountain farmer, Nov 21, 2003.

1. quiet mountain farmer

quiet mountain farmer Well-Known Member

farm in forest, in mountains of north Idaho
    As our three pregnant ewes grow ever larger, I begin to wonder whether our ram could or would hurt a newborn lamb? Will he know they're his, and be protective, like he is to their mothers? He's eleven months old. One ewe is eight months, one eleven months, and the third is twenty months, and it's her second time around.

2. Ross

Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

A ram will not usually act protective like the lamb's mother but will (might) act to protect the flock, somewhat. Even a mother ewe will not always try to protect erh lamb, there's a wide range of behavior within and between breeds. My Hamps and North County Cheviots are first class mothers for protection my Dorsets somewhat less. I doubt a ram recognises his offspring at all. Certainly not like a Tom cat does.

3. I remove the ram right before lambing time just in case he gets aggressive with the lambs or or bothers the ewes. And also just because he's a real pain when I'm in his pasture and I wouldn't want him with me when I'm working with the lambing ewes. (He likes attention too much and if I ignore him, he's likely to butt) You should definitely remove him in time to prevent his ewe lambs from getting bred by him too early (or at all if you are worried about inbreeding).
    Leah