Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Knitting Rocks!
5,783 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well, since I possibly have my girls all bred, while they are in milk, can you tell me how to know when to start drying them up? Should I just guess to start drying them off in 3 months, or is there some way to tell ?? Will a goat in milk 'bag up' ?? I will hate being without milk for 2 months or more!
I didnt plan it this way, but I think the buck did. :cool:

·
Knitting Rocks!
5,783 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well, it is good to know I can do it one month ahead, not two! But - (as you can tell) I am new to this, so I am just wondering if it will be obvious to me that they are that close?? Hate to dry one off and her not be bred or due.
Sorry if I am being dense, I guess I just dont get it.

·
Knitting Rocks!
5,783 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, my buck has been in there several times in the last month... so I guess that puts us mid november to mid december. I guess that is where I am getting nervous,,, not knowing for sure.

·
Be powerful. No other option exists.
38,825 Posts
When did he start doing the tongue flappy, leg pawing, tinkle on himself behaviors? That may help narrow it down a bit.

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
I dry my does off two months before their due date.

·
Knitting Rocks!
5,783 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, I was just quizing my children,,, "when did Travaler start stinking?"
well, DS 7 yr old says "what doya mean, he always stinks!" LOL!
looking at the calender, I believe it was around the 8th of July, with a few escaping episodes around mid June.
I was real busy the week of the 4th (we run a fireworks warehouse) so I was just here enough to milk, feed, leave. :grump: He could have been 'stinky' then too. But I know he stayed in his pen.

·
Registered
4,124 Posts
They might not be pregnant at all. I would watch them and the buck for the next three months to make sure they don't come into heat and not get bred.

The does will have goopy white stuff dripping from their vulva, or stuck to the underside of their tail, and they tend to get more vocal and flag their tails a lot, and to glue themselves to the fence closest to the buck, looking at him longingly, hardly caring about food or anything else.

Stinkiness isn't necessarily a sign of rut, because unless you wash your buck once or twice a year, he will smell all the time.

·
Knitting Rocks!
5,783 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, that is very possible. The one I wanted to be bred I am pretty sure got that way. (saw some evidence of the deed...)
lol! Anyway, my buck has not only been stinkier, but has been going on with the tinkle behavior as Rose puts it, and other such things. He has also been butting the gate to his pen very hard, trying to get out I guess.
My nubian has been staying closer to him, until the last few days, but I never saw any signs of heat in her.
My little Saanen cross seem just uninterested in anything but getting scratched and eating... but she is only 1 year old, maybe she hasn't come in season yet?
I will keep an eye on them all.... and just see what happens I guess!

·
Registered
641 Posts
Just in case you didn't know, sometimes hanging around closer to the buck is the only sign you'll see. However, I'm in the same boat as you. I pasture breed my does because most of them don't go near the buck and I never know when they are in heat. I don't think I'd catch the heats but he sure can. The only bad thing is having to watch the does so closely and knowing that they all start showing pregnancy symptoms at different rates. So, I usually end up bringing them into the kidding stall too soon which I don't like doing. Right now, I'm afraid of having more does due than the # of kidding stalls I have!! BTW, most people suggest 2 months of being dry. Besides, it takes a while to get them dry so I'd start drying them 2 months before. The last 6 weeks of pregnancy is when the kids grow the most so you want her to use her energy for that and not producing milk too. Good luck to you!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts