How do I tell if I have a fat goat?

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Caprice Acres, Sep 6, 2005.

1. Caprice Acres

Caprice Acres AKA "mygoat" Staff Member Supporter

i think my buck might be fat. :1pig: He's got a potbelly, but so have all the bucks ive everseen. i can feel his ribs. he used to get a 1/2 lb of grain a day, but ive cut that back to 1/4 lb a day, because it seemed alot for a pygmy. he gets grain because his coat turns dull and ugly if i dont give him any. he still has a nice grassy pasture, and gets hay every so often, because he doesnt seem to eat his hay (he's in a new pasture right now). it goes pretty much untouched. he gets more when it runs out, but that takes him like 3 days.

2. Laura Workman

Laura Workman (formerly Laura Jensen) Supporter

A quarter-pound is about a cup, right? I'm not sure how to tell a fat pygmy, but I would think that if you can easily feel ribs, he's just fine. He doesn't really need the grain, though. If you give him a quarter-cup of Black Oil Sunflower Seeds (BOSS) each day, he'll have the glossiest coat around. That and a good loose mineral/vitamin supplement, and he should do very nicely. (Be sure to put Ammonium Nitrate in the minerals if he isn't eating alfalfa hay.)

3. Caprice Acres

Caprice Acres AKA "mygoat" Staff Member Supporter

1/4 lb is 1/2 a cup, i weighed it out. some people told me no alfalfa hay for bucks and wethers, so he gets grassy hay.

4. Jen H

Jen H Well-Known Member

If you can feel his ribs, he's probably just fine. The big pot belly you see this time of year is usually a nice big rumen from eating fresh pasture and browse. Big rumens are good, lots of fermenting room to keep them warm in the winter.

My cashmere wethers get sunflower seeds to keep their coats soft and shiny. I also feed alfalfa pellets, but no grain. Only my doeling gets a little grain (yes, she's spoiled).

5. Goat Freak

Goat Freak Slave To Many Animals

We have a big pasture and our goats still get grain, my dad has constantly told me they do not need it but it strengthens the bond between me and the goats. Our boys though, we have one in with 3 girls because he has tried to break the fence he is so lonley, he has never been away from girls, then we have two that are seperated and they do not get much grain seeing as how one of them was bought to replace aurinary calculi victum. Our boys are Boers and I only give the 4 month old, who is already bigger than a pygmy, about 2 hanfuls of feed a day but he has a big bale of hay that he loves and as it is he is still got a belly to him, lol.