How do I take a tick off a child

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by vegascowgirl, Mar 5, 2005.

1. vegascowgirl

vegascowgirl Try Me

Well, among all the daffodils, Lilly, and lady bugs, the ticks are starting to be seen here in S.W. Missouri. My 3 yr old daughter had one attach itself to her during a short walk. Luckily, I saw it in time and was able to pull it out befor it got too embedded. However, I know there will be more every once in a while, and we may not catch them so soon. The problem, the only way I was taught to get rid of a well embedded tick, was with a lighted match. I can't do that to my li'l gal. Does anyone have any tips/suggestions for tick removal?

2. tinknal

tinknal Well-Known Member Supporter

I've pulled litterally thousands, (including one from me delicate unmentionable!). Just pull them out. There are dozens of little pet tricks for getting them off, and none work worth a dang. They don't imbed deep, and contrary to the old wives tales, the heads never break off and stay in the skin.

3. dla

dla Well-Known Member

They have to breathe like everyone else. Douse the area in oil before you start to gently pull and you have a chance of catching her coming up for air!
    Good luck! I don't like the match method either!

4. big rockpile

big rockpile If I need a Shelter

Make sure you check her every day,check her hair good too.

See Snakes out too.But they're calling for Snow maybe next week :haha:

big rockpile

5. kabri

kabri Almst livin the good life

I/ve had great success using tee tree oil to get them out.

6. Stickywitch

Stickywitch Well-Known Member

If you want to tick of a child, tell him to go to sleep without dinner from McDonalds.

7. Oilpatch197

Oilpatch197 Well-Known Member

My Mom always used a pair of tweezers and being careful not to contaminate the skin further, then burn the tick with a match and trash it.

8. Quint

Quint Well-Known Member

I just take my fingernail or knife blade and scrape it off. I've probably pulled thousands off of me. I never went for all of the burning match, vasoline or other dramatics. Just scrape them off and make sure to try to get all of the mouth parts out. A guy I grew up with would get a tick and his mom would go into hysterics and burn them off with a match and then put a bandage on the spot. Jeez just scrape them off and be done with it.

A couple years ago the were particularly bad and I would get them on me just walking outside. I was pulling them off every time I came inside.

9. ibcnya

ibcnya Well-Known Member

If you got them in SW Mo. We will be getting them here in a month. I always just pull them out and rub the spot with rubbing alcohol. Just pull slowly and it all comes out. It's the real little ones that you can hardly see that put a big itching welt on me for a week or so.

10. Ravenlost

Ravenlost Well-Known Member Supporter

Pull it off and put tea tree oil on the spot afterwards. It helps to stop the terrible itching.

I hate ticks and know this year is going to be bad.

11. Laura Workman

Laura Workman (formerly Laura Jensen) Supporter

We learned about ticks when I was working in a hospital microbiology lab. Here's the deal. If you just grab and pull, the crud in the ticks mouth can get forced into the victim's skin - not a good thing as ticks can carry Lyme disease and other delightful things. So the trick is to pull the tick off without squeezing the body. Take some fine tweezers, two longish fingernails, or a knife blade and a fingernail, or some such thing. Grasp the tick's head/jaws RIGHT NEXT TO THE VICTIM'S SKIN ONLY. Pull slowly and firmly until the tick lets go. You've done well if the tick isn't injured at all. Then feel free to kill it in any manner you choose! :D

12. doc623

doc623 Well-Known Member

Most of the replies are good.
    There are tic pliers made specifically for tic removal.
    I can look up the mfg if you want.
    They are made of plastic and inexpensive.

13. tyusclan

tyusclan Well-Known Member

I always put a drop of turpentine on them. They just let go and drop off.

14. vegascowgirl

vegascowgirl Try Me

Thank you all for the advice. I especially got a kick out of the McDonalds joke....It's almost the truth with my li'l one. She can spot a McDonalds five miles away, and yet she only gets to eat there maybe once a month.
    Doc, I would deffinately be interested in the mfg for the tick pliers.
    Tyusclan, I may try the terpentine on us adults. Knowing my daughter she wouldn't let us get close to her with that stuff.
    Thanks also for the info on how to pull them Laura J., it's the Lyme disease that I'm most afraid. I never knew how bad that stuff actually was untill a bull rider I know got it....surprised me when he said he had to take Chemo treatments for it.

15. tinknal

tinknal Well-Known Member Supporter

RememberVCG, only the deer tick carries lyme disease. The garden variety woodtick does not. Awoodtick is about this big (@) a deertick is about this big (*).

16. Kathy NW Ohio

Kathy NW Ohio Well-Known Member

I was taught to take the tick and slowly turn it, and it will release from the skin. It does work. No need to pull on it.

17. Oilpatch197

Oilpatch197 Well-Known Member

Why are the ticks going to be bad this year? Is it because of the Mild winter?

18. Cabin Fever

Cabin Fever Life NRA Member since 1976 Supporter

I'm with Laura Jensen on this one....espeically if it's a deer tick. If you do pull a deer tick off, it's not a bad idea to put it in a film canister and save it in the refrigerator. Then, if you or your child develop a bulleyes eye rash or other symptom of Lyme's Disease, you can have the tick analyzed and find out for sure.

19. Cosmic

Cosmic Well-Known Member

Use a match but not directly. Heat up something like a nail. Hold the nail close to the grits of the tick but do not actually touch it. Something like 1/4 - 1/2 inch away.

They don't like heat on the hindy and will pull their head out of the skin and drop off. Use hydrogen peroxide to clean the area that the head was embedded in. It should heal with no bump.

This is the trick I use to remove ticks from my dog. Works everytime, should start to move and back out as soon as they feel the heat. Want it hot enough but not too hot, want them to remain alive and able to move, so it can disengage itself. Can flame the bugger after it drops off. I like use my propane torch to heat the nail, zap him afterward with the torch. :p

20. wildwanderer

wildwanderer Momma, Goatherder etc....

I have the fingernails and thirty years of experience pulling ticks. I usually get them first try with no problem. I have been told it take over 12 hours to get lymes disease so make sure you check twice daily. I learned quick to check myself, my mom isn't so good with the tweezers or her fingernails so I was very careful to check as a child. They have a metal tool with a V in the top that you can slide along the skin under the tick and just pop them off. This worked well for some of my more squemish survival student.
    Take care - Thea