How do I store my onions?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Quiver0f10, Aug 28, 2005.

1. Quiver0f10

Quiver0f10 Well-Known Member

I planted A LOT of onions and I do want to freeze some and then store some. How do I store them so they wont go bad?

Thanks!

2. MaryNY

MaryNY Well-Known Member

I get 10 to 20 lbs of onions in the mesh bags each fall and hang the bag from a hook in one of the beams in the cellar. They last until well into spring. I just cut a hole in the side of the bag and fish the onions out one at a time as I need them. Onion are supposed to be stored in a cool (not cold) dry place. Sometimes an unheated attic can be used as well. Just make sure they are good and dry before you store them. Don't know where you would get the mesh bags, but perhaps you could get some from friends or relatives who buy their onions and potatoes. Good luck.

MaryNY

3. LAYNE

LAYNE Active Member

Mary's idea is probably the best. I have also chopped up onions and put them in a dehydrator. Once they are dried I put that into tightly closed containers to use in my cooking.
    Layne

4. Ravenlost

Ravenlost Well-Known Member Supporter

Pantyhose!

Place an onion in the toe, tie a knot. Place another onion in the toe, tie a knot. Do this until each leg is full then hang from a nail in a cool dry place. When you need an onion start at the bottom and cut one out. The knot keeps the onions from touching and keeps the next onion from falling out when you remove the bottom one.

My mom has been doing this for years and it works great.

5. Quiver0f10

Quiver0f10 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the replies. Love the pantyhose idea! Will buy some this week.

6. chas

chas Well-Known Member

Proper care starts with bending over the tops to make sure they are done growing, then pull them up in a couple days to lay in the sun a day or two. After this hardning off period they will stay dormant with less chance of going soft.
    We put some in mesh sacks and the rest tie the tops together with baler twine and hang up on nails to let the air circulate around them.
    Chas