Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We got 2 bottle fed lambs (boy and girl) this past spring and while the ram (who's been wethered) is super friendly and likes to follow us around, he also likes to jump up on us with his front feet like a dog for attention. I've tried pushing him down, kneeing him in the chest and saying no but it isn't helping.

Any suggestions? Thanks a bunch. Might want to mention that these are our first lambs. We've always had goats and wanted a little variety.

Thanks for your help.

Sandy

·
Just living Life
8,280 Posts
If he jumps on you... keep an eye on him, the minute he goes to jump on you, move just enough so he misses and ignore him... No attention, no treats, don't even look at him...
Only time you see him, is if he is being good. Usually they will get the idea fast.

·
Registered
3,669 Posts
I have 10 wethers running around right now, they jump on each other all the time. I perceive it as a dominance/playing around thing.
Obviously, being a bottle baby, he feels you are a sheep, or he is a people, that's how my bottle baby is, she thinks of me as momma.
He's just treating you like he would another sheep, but you can't allow it.
I've done just what Bergere said, and it works really well.:happy2:

Reactions: bergere

·
Registered
952 Posts
^too late on that for me. my rams beg for attention. I left them alone for a few days then went into their pen and got mobbed for cuddles. Of course, anyone steps slightly out of line they get flipped. I'm a benevolent dictator.

·
Registered
3,039 Posts
trainv, the poster did point out that the lamb is now a wether so definately not a ram. Otherwise I would agree with you. It is best not to keep hand reared rams unless you want to take the chance on a serious injury.

ssmeester, do as Bergere advises or give him a smart smack on the nose and then walk away.

Cheers,
Ronnie

1 - 6 of 6 Posts