How do I solve mosquito breeding problem?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by clovis, Sep 16, 2006.

1. clovis

clovis Well-Known Member

As most of you know, we live in town.

Our neighbor has 8 old tires stacked against his house, which is really close to our back deck.

Mosquitos are breeding like mad in the water that has collected in the tires.

What can I spray on the water inside the tires to stop the breeding?

Thanks in advance!!!!
    clove

2. MWG

MWG Well-Known Member

I would put a couple drops of oil in them. Mosquitos can not lay eggs through the oil...

3. desnri

desnri Well-Known Member

I agree with MWG. Oil in the water will work. Hopefully you have enough bats flying around to take care of any unwanted mosquitoes.

4. kitaye

kitaye Well-Known Member

Vegetable oil not motor oil.

5. wr

wr Moderator Staff Member Supporter

Oil would very likely work. I was told that anything that prevents the larvae sac from it's source of air is the way to go. I've been told in some areas with standing water (sloughs and such) that it is very helpful to even take a few minutes to toss rocks into the water and that will break sever the oxygen source. Let us know if the oil suggestion works well for you.

6. shellyr44

shellyr44 Well-Known Member

Coffee grounds are very good at keeping mosquitos at bay. Just sprinkle inside the tire where there is water. I read this in one of my homesteading magazines. Have you tried talking to your neighbor about this problem. He might not be aware of this.

7. mama2littleman

mama2littleman El Paso

You can also pick up some mosquito dunks and place them inside the tires. They are supposed to be good for 3 months or so. SHould take you through mosquito season.

I picked some up at Lowe's for about $5 or so. We really needed something here with all the flooding and resulting standing water, and there isn't enough veggie oil in the state to make a dent in the current problem.

Nikki

8. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    Apply a few drops of kerosene to the surface of the water, it will evaporate dureing the daytime. Retreat as it becomes invisable.

9. Bernadette

Bernadette Enjoying Polish Rabbits

Ask the neighbour to dump the water. Don't forget that Mosquito Dunks (if they're the same as the ones we can get here in Canada) are rotenone - and shouldn't be used where there are live fish - kills them too!

Longer term help - put up bird houses to encourage bug eating birds, build bat houses, and don't kill snakes.

10. Windy in Kansas

Windy in Kansas In Remembrance

"PreStrike" is a granular product that will take care of the problem--and you can toss them into the tires from a distance if they aren't too far away. The granules are dark gray to black and likely won't even show in the tires.

Discount stores, hardware stores, lawn and garden centers as well as others often carry the product.

11. tinknal

tinknal Well-Known Member Supporter

If it's wet enough that water is collecting in tires, it is collecting in other areas too. Skeeters are are a fact of life in some areas. Learn to deal with them.

12. PyroDon

PyroDon Well-Known Member

Not a suggestion for your nieghbors tires but if you have slightly larger bodies of water Stocktanks yard ponds even five gallon buckets .
    Mosquito fish work well and ost county extension offices can tell you where to get them . Betas are a bit flashier and do a great job as well :)

13. MWG

MWG Well-Known Member

Is your neighbor using the tires? If they aren't going to get rid of them perhaps you could drill some holes so all the water will drain out?

14. Sparticle

Sparticle Well-Known Member Supporter

WD-40 will provide the oily surface you are looking for and since it sprays makes for easier broadcasting.

15. BaronsMom

BaronsMom Well-Known Member

I use little pellets (Prestrike) - biologicial control similar to the mosquito dunks but cheaper. These products keep the larval mosquitos from developing into adults. The pellets work for 30-45 days - you just toss in the amount you need and that's it. I also use them in my bird bath (they are not harmful to fish or wildlife), fish pond, knots of trees where I know water stands, ditches and depressions where water will sit for a few days "if" we get rain. Nice thing is if the ditch dries up, the pellets don't go to waste, they will still work when it rains again.

Farm supply stores, hardware, lawn garden centers all carry these - which is great since we have so many mosquitos. I've found the products in the isle with the yard insect control. In lawn and garden centers, you find it by the pond supplies.

16. bgak47

bgak47 Well-Known Member

Have you talked to your neighbors about this problem? It seems that it would benefit them as much as anyone to get rid of the tires. Since you live in the city you might also have to talk to the code enforcement officer about this problem.