Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have to lower a chandalier in my house, it's way too high. I want to add another 3 feet of wire onto it so it hangs lower, but I want it to be on continuous wire from the light to the junction box. Can I do this, if so how? I have a bit of electrical experience. Also, I have to put two sections of scafolding on a tile floor. What is the best way to spread out the weight so the tiles don't crack? I was thinking putting cardboard on the tile first then some plywood then a 2 x 8 or something like that. Would that be sufficient? There isn't going to be much weight on the top except me @ 150 pounds and a couple sheets of plywood as a platform. Hope you can help. Thanks Chris

·
Registered
698 Posts
your light fixture should come apart. Usually there is either a plate that can come off under the ball or else the "tower" unscrews from the "ball" The joint where the wires come together for each bulb is in the large ball. you have to disassemble the fixture to replace the wire going up.

·
Registered
746 Posts
The cardoard plywood idea is a good idea.

All the seperate lights will all come together somewhere in the chandelier, this is where you'll have to get into to rewire.
These connections will sometime be soldered so this could be a tricky fix.

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
I don't mean to step on Toads Toes here, but I highly doubt they are soildered.
Should be just wire nutted. Even if the are soldered, just cut the wire as close to the solder as you can.

He is right about the cardboard/plywood. I think you are going overbord on it but better safe that sorry.

If as you said, you have some electrical experience it shouldn't be must of a job at all.
Go to Lowes or where ever and buy the wire. All you want is a 2 wire 16 gauge wire unless it has a bunch of bulbs.
Add up all the watts of the lights. If they pass 1,000 watts, which I doubt, go to a # 14 wire.
If they pass 1,800, which I doubt even more, go to #12 wire.
Buy the right length of chain and change it all out. Simple job.

But do me a favor. Be carefull on the scafold. I only fell 10 feet and am disabiled. Be careful. And remember an electrical shoke will make you jump back and you don't have a lot of room to do so on a scaffold.
God Bless
Dennis

G

·
You can buy replaceable extension chains which comes with the electrical wire with it at places like Lowe's or other hardware stores.

How high is your ceiling. Could a 12 foot step ladder work? It would be a lot lighter then a scaffold. Go to a rent-a-center nearby and rent one if you don't have one.

·
Registered
746 Posts
crafty2002 said:
I don't mean to step on Toads Toes here, but I highly doubt they are soildered.
Should be just wire nutted. Even if the are soldered, just cut the wire as close to the solder as you can.
No toes stepped on, most are wire nutted. That's why I said "sometimes".

Some high end models and ones that are custom made and handcrafted are more likely to be soldered. At least the hundreds of lamps ( five+ lamps per chandelier) that we have hand produced in the last ten years have all been soldered. But our chandeliers start at $4200.oo. Pretty pricey.

To be safe shut off the breaker to the light before working on it if you are uncertain if it is hot or not.

·
Registered
749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The ceiling is 24 feet in places, but I only have to get about 23 feet, so I have tackled the painting around the window sills and then I will get the chandalier looked at. Thanks everyone, Chris

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.