How do I protect from Squash vine borers?

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by phantompark, May 20, 2006.

1. phantompark

phantompark Well-Known Member

Does anyone have a way to protect squash plants from the vine borers?
    I've tried early planting, late planting with no difference.
    I usually end up cutting open the vine and killing the worm. Moderate success and a real pain.
    This year I'm putting squash and cukes in a new garden. I wonder if that will help?
    Thanks

2. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

I always pile mulch over multiple leaf nodes so they root. That gives me insurance in case the borers get into the vine. Then put DE on the vine near the base particularly. Just avoid getting it on the flowers. I also check periodically for eggs under the leaves and along the stem.

3. Ardie/WI

Ardie/WI Well-Known Member Supporter

Go and buy the cheapest radish seed you can find and plenty of them. Scatter the seed around the squash plants and sprinkle dirt over them. Let them grow and go to seed around the squash plants. I had those darn things one year and after that, Iused the radish trick and never had another one.

4. Txsteader

Txsteader Well-Known Member

We use Thuricide for any worm problems. The technical name is Bacillus thurigiensis. We get it @ the feed store, but I think most garden centers have it. It's only toxic to worms, therefore safe in veggie gardens, around animals, etc. I usually spray my squash as a preventative rather than waiting until I see damage. Works like a charm.

5. Sherrynboo

Sherrynboo Well-Known Member Supporter

Ardie, I am trying your radish idea. I planted a whole pack around the four squash plants. I hope it works for me! I haven't gotten squash in several years now. I may try the DE as well.

Sherry in GA