How do I Plug a Spring?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Oilpatch197, Sep 6, 2004.

1. Oilpatch197

Oilpatch197 Well-Known Member

on our road we Oiled last year, on a side of the hill there is a spring, and you can see water seeping thru the cracks, and runs down the road a little ways. It is bugging me, so How do I Plug it? Road Patch didn't work. ??

2. Stush

Stush Well-Known Member

Generally, you cannot patch a spring. Water will find a way out no matter what you do. If you don't want the water running on the road, you will need to provide place for the water to go - a pipe, gravel filled ditch, etc.

3. Kathryn L.Holck

Kathryn L.Holck Active Member

I see water seeping out of the sides of hills more so when the weather has been extremely rainy. If this is a year round leak it may be an artesian well.

In a neighbors field a cell phone tower was erected. The crew apparently struck an artesian well because water was running continuously. The company then ran a tile from the leak to the ditch to enable the farmer the use of the property for hay production.

Perhaps this course of action will work for you. You just may have to put a tile under the road if you have a ditch to drain it into. If you do not have a ditch, drill a hole or a few with a post hole auger if the ground permits, and fill it with large rocks for a drain system and direct the water to it.

4. Oilpatch197

yeah this spring is a year round thing, is there any reason I should be happy that I got one? Looks like I'll have to live with it.

5. Oilpatch197

artesian spring, there are a few Oil Wells nearby, I don't belive they are using SWD Injection wells. I belive they are using the Reservors pressure to force Oil into the Wells.

6. rambler

rambler Well-Known Member Supporter

Well, lots of poeple use the water. But if you don't want it, it's just in the way, and you need to drain it. Tile or a ditch. It is not practical to try to plug such a thing, water runs downhill & wants out somewhere - it will come out.

--->Paul

7. Mike in Ohio

Mike in Ohio Well-Known Member

I'm going to agree with Stush. Our neighbor across the road has a spring that sprung by where his drive meets the road. He has put gravel in, he has put boulders in, he has tried plugging.....and it all just sinks in and the water bubbles up. So, he has set it to drain to the side and moved the drive a little bit in the other direction.

Mike