How do I plant Tulips???

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by newatthis, Nov 1, 2006.

1. newatthis

newatthis Well-Known Member

Ok first of all I'm horrible with any kind of indoor plant/flower :help: so I purchased tulips. Do I plant them pointy side up or down? :shrug: :rolleyes:
    Please help as it is getting quite cold here in central WI and I want to get these planted.
    ------------------------
    If it wasn't for all of you I'd be a basket case.

2. mammabooh

mammabooh Metal melter Supporter

Pointy side up...6 or 8 inches deep.

3. Pat

Pat Well-Known Member

Pointy side up.

Usually I'll dig a trench (shovel wide and usually 4 - 6 feet long) and the proper depth for tulips... sprinkle bone meal in the trench... then put the tulips (at their proper spacing and flat side down) and back fill the trench. I'll even put a couple of Hyacinths down the same row. They are at the same depth as tulips... if you want to get real fancy after you back fill, you can put Crocuses (they are very shallow) across the top. That way the Crocuses will bloom and be finished about the time the tulips and Hyacinths start poking their heads out of the ground.

Pat

4. newatthis

newatthis Well-Known Member

:shrug: :shrug: : What is this :shrug: :shrug:
    Where do I buy it or how do I make it?

5. Zebraman

Zebraman Well-Known Member

Hey Newatthis;Bone Meal is available at most garden centers.I buy mine through www.ebstone.org They are local so I have no idea about shipping but you could go on their site to see if they have a local dist.Bone Meal is a by product of the beef industry.It isn't realistic to make it yourself.

6. Pat

Pat Well-Known Member

I totally agree with Zebraman... I'll bet the same place you bought the tulips has bone meal.

It's a natural high in nitrogen fertilizer.

Pat