How Do I Plant Butternut Seedlings?

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by Tarot Farm, May 23, 2005.

1. Tarot Farm

Tarot Farm Well-Known Member

I have three very healthy Butternut seedlings that I have to get in the ground soon. My area is mostly 'sand' and I do mean sand! It varies on the property from 'sugar sand' to 'sandly loam'; with most of the available land for planting being the true sand area. My question is, how far apart do I plant them? In a row or in a triangle? What do I need to do to make them grow the best? Ground preparation?

Brenda

2. thequeensblessing

thequeensblessing Well-Known Member

I'd make sure there is a fair amount of organic matter mixed in with the sand. I'm from New England, and DH is from Utah. I always planted butternut in hills or mounds of dirt with 3 or so plants put in a roughly triangular pattern about 5 inches apart in the hill. DH always planted them in rows, same distance apart. Both ways work well.

We always planted butternut in hills between our peas. That way, when the peas have gone by and you pull the plants, the butternut can take over that area.

3. Tarot Farm

Tarot Farm Well-Known Member

Ooops! I think I left out that these are 'tree seedlings'. They are not Butternut squash. Sorry about that. These past few weeks have been hard on me; new foals, new lambs, new kid goats, chicks hatching all over the place and getting my gardening done.

Brenda