How do I know when my doe is going to kid?

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Starsmom, Mar 22, 2005.

1. Starsmom

Starsmom Well-Known Member

This is my Doe's first kidding and mine too, so I am a bit nervous. She was in with the Buck and so I don't know when exactly she got pregnant. Her udders are getting bigger. The ligaments are still hard, but today I noticed a space, kind of like a hole, between the ligaments and the backbone. I can put my thumb into it. She looks like she is spreading, but not a whole lot. How long now? Any quesses?

2. chma4

chma4 Wolverton Family Farm Supporter

Today I had a doe kid, she had shown no signs of being ready (except her sheer size)until This morning. She just wouldnt shut up. She is normally vocal, but today was non-stop. I went to check on her and noticed that her udder was very full and she had thick white mucus all the way to the ground. I felt and her ligaments were undetectable! I knew today was the day. Sure enough, I got a buckling and a doeling. GOOD LUCK!

3. Helena

Helena Well-Known Member

Sometimes no matter what...you just don't know for sure !! Usually the discharge is a sure sign of about 12-24 hours to kidding. But...then I have spent many a night walking up and down to the barn to o, then giving up and the next morning go up and the "stork" arrived within those few hours. If you doe is comfortable and not in distress just go about your business and she will be just fine. Even though it's her first time..Mother Nature has a way of making our animals much smarter than us at birthing time. When she does start to kid stay out of the pen and watch and don't interfere unless you think she needs help. More than likely all you'll have to do is make sure she cleans their noses clear to breathe easier and make sure she doesn't ignore the second being so busy with the first. Get your goat book our and re-read what you have already read and sit back and enjoy your new experience. You'll almost want to pass out the cigars when it does happen !! Good Luck and Welcome to the Goat World !!!

4. windyhollowfarm

windyhollowfarm Well-Known Member

5. Starsmom

I've read and re-read the Fiasco Website (a great site for info) but I still am nervous. I have done all the reading, I am as prepared as I can be, but I'm just afraid something will go wrong. She seems so delicate to me. She is a Nubian Saneen cross bred to a Purebred Alpine. She is a year old this month, so I know she is old enough and probably weighs about 100 Lbs or so. I have horses and have had foals born, but they are so much bigger. She just seems so tiny to me. I just hope all is well. She has really put on some weight in the past week or two. Her belly has rounded out and the udders are getting bigger. The closest I can get to her breeding date it was around the end of October. I sent my Buck off to a friends place the last week of October to breed her goats and we kept them separated until around December. By then she was bred.

6. LuckyGRanch

LuckyGRanch Well-Known Member

That is just too cute! Our miniature horse is "in mini mule" and due to foal(?) in Mid-May and I'm already worried. I guess it's just your frame of reference. Just try and relax and enjoy the experience. Any tips on first time foaling?! :haha: Thankfully "Mom" is 14 and been through it many, many times. Our first though...

90% of the time you'll have no problem at all. Please post pictures if you know how when kids are born!

7. Starsmom

I'm trying to relax. It's my son's doe and he had a close call with his buck recently (he rose from the dead-thats a story in itself)

Good luck with the little miniature. Just make sure the front hooves come out first. If you see back hooves or the front ones are upside down, Call the Vet! If she is an experienced Mom, just let her be. From labor to delivery can be 15 minutes to 1 hour. My mare usually takes about 30 minutes from when I realize she is in labor. After it is born have a towel and iodine on hand. Wipe it down if it is cool out and dip the cord in the iodine. Don't try to help baby find Mama's teats, that interferes with bonding. If the baby isn't on its feet and nursing within about 45mins to 1 hour, then you may want to call the vet for advice.

8. GoldenWood Farm

GoldenWood Farm Legally blonde! Supporter

Starsmom you will do just fine. But after she kids make sure that you give her some warm water with molassas in it along with warm cooked oatmeal with molassas in it. It REALLY helps get their energy back up after kidding. Some does you can tell right away others will just pop them out like without any warnings. But a first timer I am sure will be giving you some warning signs. If she does ANYTHING out of the ordinary start watching her more closley. They normally will drop off feed when close to labor and also will poop and pee almost all the time. It seems scarey and what not but once they go into labor you really calm down and do what you need to do.

Even if something happens you will be able to handle it. I know because this year I had a doe who's babys where big trouble...one came out ear first(eek!) and the other was a breach kid(who might I add was HUGE!). She did fine..a little sore as I had to reach inside :eek: ..but fine. I had a first freshening doe kid just a little over a week ago and she did just wonderful...she was bred mini but her kid was a big kid for a mini cross. But she handled it just fine. I was with her through it all.

Good luck!

MotherClucker

9. Lrose

Lrose Well-Known Member

We have a goat that grinds her teeth when she goes in labour and won't eat about 24 hours brfore she kids.Ours also passes a mucus discharge when her time is near. She paws the ground and turns around. She always lays down only a few minutes before kidding.The last two days she also expands and her udder swells alot.If you don't know when she was bred look for behaviour that is different than how she normally acts .

10. debitaber

debitaber Well-Known Member

the the above advice is good, and true. I can tell when they start pawing at the ground. 3 of mine just kidded, and none of them had a discarge or were streaming, it is called, until baby was on the way. I had one doe kid last year, we didn't even know she was in labor, and I don't think she did. she came to the gate for her grain, then just stopped eating long enought to walk a few feet away, and drop the kid, she never looked back, she went right back to eating. SO you just never know. just keep watch, and just when you think your nerves have had it, and your a wreck, she will kid, and she will probably do just fine. oh and have your self a nice cp of hot tea, to relax, your going to need it. whew, we are not quite have done yet, for this year, we have several more to go. for next month I think and one in may. and one anytime now, but she is in a pin by her self, and has it really nice, so we are just waiting for the day. IT can get to ya, that is for sure.

11. Starsmom

Thanks for all your advice. She seems to get bigger and bigger each time I go down to the barn. Currently she has a barn buddy and I want to take him out but not too soon. He was ill and had surgery a few weeks ago and has had some problems and he loves her and can't stand to be away from her, so I keep them together. They play so well, but she is definitely the boss so I don't worry about him hurting her. Usually when she tells him to knock it off, he does. If she is feeling under the weather, he will curl up next to her until she feels better.

I think she is getting close, but still think it could be up to a week. I can't stand the waiting, it is making me crazy.