How do I know if my rabbit is "with childs?"

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by bnlfan, Aug 1, 2006.

1. bnlfan

bnlfan Well-Known Member

I put my male and one female in the same cage a few days ago. They have been together 24-7 for 3 days. How much longer should I leave them together? Should I take the male and put with another female immediately? How will I know if she is pregnant?

2. Pat Lamar

Pat Lamar Well-Known Member Supporter

New rabbit owners should either get a book on rabbits or at least do some research before ever attempting to breed rabbits. It is dangerous to leave a buck and doe together and unsupervised for that long. When the doe gets tired of being pestered by the buck, she will inflict serious harm on the buck... and usually by castrating him.

Breeding should take no more than 5 to 10 minutes and you need to be there to watch to ensure that no harm is done and that the male was successful in making contact, which is evident when he grunts and usually rolls off of the doe.

There is only one sure way of telling if a doe is pregnant and that is by palpation around the 10th to 14th day of gestation. Otherwise, you'll just have to wait to see if she delivers. By the way... gestation is 28 to 32 days, so be sure to put a nest box in with the doe *with bedding* (e.g., straw or hay) on day 27. Don't put the nest box in too soon, as she will only use it for a bathroom.

Pat Lamar
    President
    Professional Rabbit Meat Association
    http://www.prma.org/
    Chairperson, ARBA Commercial Department Committee

3. ricky

ricky Well-Known Member

after 18 days put the buck back in with the doe watch them if doe is already breed she will not tolerate the buck mounting her. then you know for sure. only other way is feel does belly kind of firm do you feel marbles in her belly? if so you will now know allso.

4. 6e

6e Farm lovin wife Supporter

If you can't feel any "marbles" in her belly, a lot of times, when you go to even handle the doe, if she's expecting, she'll fuss at you. Making all kinds of squeaky noises and such. A lot of times that means they are already bred. Other wise, wait 30 days or so and if she doesn't have anything, than rebreed.

5. bnlfan

bnlfan Well-Known Member

Thank you.

I left the buck in for 3 full days. Every time I go out and check on them they are laying beside or against one another. I put the buck back into his own cage today.

I may try to put him with one of the other 5 does.

6. 6e

6e Farm lovin wife Supporter

If I can give you another little piece of advice......always take your doe to the buck. Does can get very territorial and can do some serious damage to a buck who is intruding on their space. Much better to take the doe to the buck.

7. Tucker

Tucker Well-Known Member

Hi , I have to agree with the others ,, you should always take the doe to the bucks cage ,, watch to see if the deed gets done ,, hopefully at least twice this session ,, watch for 'serious' fighting , it should only take 5 - 10 minutes at most ,, to see several mateings ,,,

since rabbits are induced ovulators ,, 'some' breeders will bring the doe back to the buck for a second round about a hour or so later ..

.. in a large herd no way would you have the time ... they breed only once and maintain production so its breeders choice ,,

:nerd:

You have 5 other does ,, what ages ??

When are you planning on breeding them ?? is this your first breeding??

It is normally a good idea to breed 2 or 3 does at the same time in case you have to foster babies ,, 1 mom has 12 , 1 mom has 5 you can foster 3 ..

What kind of breeding schedule are you thinking of for the 6 ?? How often are you planning on butchering ??

Have you ever butchered fryers ? cooked / ate rabbit ?

What are your plans for all your offspring ??

How many growout cages do you have ??

I once bred 10 does , 6 took > 56 live offspring ... rebred the 4 that missed got 37 live offspring ,, if I hadn't been selling to the processor hub would have had a fit ,,, having to butcher that many rabbits around the same time / age / weight ..

My Story short form:

My hub mentioned to me that he'd like to eat home raised rabbit ,, I jumped in & built up to a small herd ,, after a few years because of health {& husband rebellion :p } ,, had to reduce down to a trio ,,

.... :grump: Hub discovered he hates butchering ,, and shoveling poop :p ,, since we are raiseing mainly just for us ,, he dosen't want our 2 bred but 2 - 3 times a year ,, last breeding was 17 from 2 does living to butchering age ,,

I can't palipate for babies :rolleyes: so I have to wait n see ,, normally around the third week a pregnant doe will start looking 'thick' to me . I put nestboxes filled with straw in on day 28 ,, then I keep a check in the nestbox for any 'mess' by momma ,,

.. but I wait till day 36 to rebreed ,, I've had does go to day 34 into day 35 to give birth (1 doe :flame: she drove me insane every breeding going longer than the normal 31/32 days)

Since you left the doe in with the buck for 3 days you will have to count for day 28 from the first day ,, but count from the third day for maximum time to give birth and a rebreeding date ..

and remember don't start giving her free feed till 'after' she gives birth ,, its a bad idea to start in free feeding thinking she 'may be' pregnant so needs more to eat ..

:nono: if you increase her feed she will just get fat before birth and might have birthing problems or get fat and not be pregnant and when you rebreed have problems 'taking' because she has fatty deposits inside ,,

just keep to her regular ration and hay available if you feed hay ,, What are you feeding your rabbits ,, BTW ???

and if around day 17 / 18 she goes nutty pulls down all her hay and pulls fur and makes a small nest on the wire ,, then she probably had a 'false' pregnancy and you can then choose to try a rebreeding ..

:nerd: OK I'll shut up now ,, I'm rambling too much :p