How do I keep the bunnies out of my garden?

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by Mouse, Aug 2, 2006.

1. Mouse

Mouse Well-Known Member

I have a raised bed garden about 30'x50' surrounded by 2x4 welded and woven fencing to keep my dogs and chickens out of it. But the bunnies are getting in and eating everything they like. They started on the bean plants, then let them grow so I was able to get 1 bucket full before they went back to them and turn the plants to sticks. Then they deleafed all my pepper plants and ate my strawberries. Now they have moved on to my cantaloupes!!! There are bite marks on the melons and it doesn't matter if the melons are ripe or not, green or brown, they're eating them and leaving their droppings. How do i keep them out??????

Thank you,
    Marion

2. rocket

rocket Well-Known Member

Are they getting under the fencing? Doesn't a fence have to be buried a bit into the ground to keep out rabbits?

3. kidsngarden

kidsngarden Well-Known Member

So here's what you do... You put your pigs in half your garden to clear it out, putting raised beds in the other side. Then you plant stuff in those beds only because you can't get in the pig half (or the side you will use for row and mound planting) after the pigs have left to piggy heaven without sinking knee deep in mud all spring (Not to mention the massive amounts of uncomposted doo). You never mulch or weed anyhwere but in your raised beds. Then by oh june, nearly all the crabgrass has grown back (nearly waist high in some places) everywhere but the beds, and a little bit of extra weeds too. See, then there's so much other vegetation that the rabbits eat it and not your garden, LOL!

Oh, my learning curve!

No, really this is what happened to me. I do have some "mounds" for melons squash and cukes. I have put paper down then soil and fertilizer and planted in the mounds. I have really crappy clay so I actually bought dirt to speed things along. Kept where ever the plants are weed free and they are doing great, but my, it is untidy. I'm slowly Lasagna-ing over the weeds for next year because pulling that stuff is CRAZY! But the side benefit of having it there is that there is a bunny that lives in my garden. We haven't figured out where, but for now it is ok because I have not found a single bit of damage to any of my plants. I don't know what he likes better than lettuce, but he doesn't eat it or any other of my plants.

My garden is fenced by welded wire - they can dig in if it's not buried!

Since I doubt you want too see more weeds than plants, I would bury chicken wire around the bottom of your fencing.

4. southerngurl

southerngurl le person Supporter

Make a very hot pepper spray and spray your plants down every few days.

5. hollym

hollym Well-Known Member

I ran chicken wire along the bottom of my front yard fence and that helped a lot. They can get through woven wire, the naughty little cuties. I also piled rocks and whatever I could get my hands on on the part that I bent out and lay on the ground. Would have buried it, but I'm on a limestone bluff! Anyway, even if you CAN dig, my way is quick and easy.

hollym

6. Tiffin

Tiffin Well-Known Member

DH shoots them and stews them up.

7. Paranoid

Paranoid Homebrewed Happiness

+1

eat em and you'll notice you never have enuff rabbits coming for your garden.

8. turtlehead

turtlehead Well-Known Member

We do exactly what HollyM described. We have tons of wild rabbits around here and so far (knock wood) no problem with them getting in the garden. Chipmunks, however....

9. james dilley

james dilley Well-Known Member Supporter

Try Human hair. How about A cats litter box. Spread that around . It should keep them out.

10. Paula

Paula Well-Known Member

Tie chicken wire to the outside of your garden fence. The 2 foot height (shortest it comes in I think) is good enough and pretty cheap. Make sure to fasten it good at the bottom so they can't wiggle under.

11. Mouse

Mouse Well-Known Member

Thank you all. I just saw this morning a bunnie hop right through the 2x4 fencing. I didn't think it would fit and it did without even thinking. Just incredible. I had no idea.

We'll definitely be getting some chicken wire to put along the bottom of the fencing. Thank you for that idea.

We've thought about having them for dinner, but haven't attempted that, I'd probably miss and end up blasting a cantaloupe all over everything.

12. steff bugielski

steff bugielski Well-Known Member

EGG YOLK SPRAY
    I have had much success with this. It works on deer and woodchucks too.
    Mix 2 egg yolks( no whites) in a gallon of water. Strain. Spray the leaves and plants of whatever they eat. The smell of egg deters them, something to do with the fact that they are vegetarians. They will still go in the garden but will not eat it. You need to spray every 2-3 days or if it rains.
    steff