How do I keep birds out of my tomato plant?

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by mom21, May 17, 2006.

1. mom21

mom21 Member

That's right.....1 plant. I am new to gardening and am starting out gently. I have a brown thumb. Well my tomato plant is producing very well and has gorgeous tomatoes. However the birds get most of them. I think I have been able to get maybe 5 before the birds got to them. So please help a gardening newbie. I want to add more tomato plants so I can make salsa and tomato sauce but not if they are just there to feed the dumb birds. Thanks.

2. Pony

Pony STILL not Alice Supporter

You could try netting draped over your tomato cage/stakes.

The first thought that popped into my mind, though, was to build a cage around the plant so the birds can't even reach it. Some chicken wire formed in a large circle around the cage, with a piece of chicken wire tied to the top should do it.

Isn't it irritating when birds and squirrels get to the fruit? It's not like they eat the whole thing, either -- just one little nibble. Grrr!!!

Good luck!

Pony!

3. VALENT

VALENT Well-Known Member

well i had some racoons visit my sweet corn but they were very thorough. no nibbles

4. swamp man

swamp man Well-Known Member

Mom21,I have tried various things over the years to keep critters uotta' my gardens,with varying levels of success.Much experience has shown me that if you want to keep a little of the harvest for yourself,you just have to play the numbers game.Plant more than you plan to use,and make friends with the fact that the critters are here to stay,and are gonna' eat some of what you planted.I hang compact discs,with fishing line to scare off birds,but they figure it out pretty fast(the blue jays figure it out first,and other birds soom follow their example).It's all in the timing.Happy growin'.

5. MsPacMan

MsPacMan Well-Known Member

Here's a few tricks that I have learned can be effective:

Get one of those plastic owls with the head that bops in the wind and put it on a perch overlooking the tomato plant. Move the owl once each day to another perch so that the birds don't catch on that the owl is fake.

Get one or more inflatable garden snakes (even Wally World sells them nowadays) and put them around your plant. The snakes look life like from the air, and scare the dickens out of the birds.

Get several helium filled balloons (shiny silver ones made of mylar are great for the job). Hang them above the tomato on a pole or something. They must be very close to the plant (pretty much exactly over it) to work.

Fly one or more flags over the plant.

6. mom21

mom21 Member

Thank you everyone. I am going to try out some of these ideas. Since my tomato is on my deck under my tiki hut maybe I use the ideas all around the hut to keep the birds from pooping all over my deck and on my tables and chairs. Thanks again.

7. Mid Tn Mama

Mid Tn Mama Well-Known Member Supporter

If you have an old garden hose with a hole in it: you can cut it up and the birds will think the pieces are snakes and stay away. You ahve to move the "snakes" around though.

8. Country Lady

Country Lady Well-Known Member Supporter

Our garden is on one side of the house. We have bird feeders in the back and front, not near the garden. I was wondering if having a generous supply of bird feed for them will deter them from the garden, or just bring them all around and they'll decide they like the garden better.