???how do i get this oil pan out???

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by Gregory D. Vest, Dec 28, 2005.

1. Gregory D. Vest

Gregory D. Vest Active Member

...im workin' on a "97" Dodge Dakota sport,P/U truck.
    I got the motor mounts loose,the motor jacked up,all of the bolts out of the pan...and I still cant get the pan off.!It looks like the transmission bell-housing is in the way...do I have to take the transmission loose,or out :stars:
    Should I loosen the bottom bolts of the tranny and jack up the rear of the tranny...? Seems I, about 1/4 inch shy of gettin' it out...any ideas?

Any replys will be appreciated...
    Greg

2. seedspreader

seedspreader AFKA ZealYouthGuy

Usually there is a dust plate on the transmission, if it's an automatic, that needs to come off. You do have the starter pulled right?

3. Gregory D. Vest

Gregory D. Vest Active Member

...actually my Dad and younger brother are doing the work...im recovering from an injury right now,so I -(who usually does the work)lol-am going by their info.

The starter wasnt pulled or the dust cover...thats probably the answer!
    I will be assisting them tomorrow tho...thanks for the fast reply....the best ideas are usually the simplest!!!haha :baby04:

HOWEVER>>> any more info. would be helpful...

thanks.....Greg

4. Beeman

Beeman Well-Known Member

Luckily I've never had to pull one of those. i'm guessing it's a 2 wheel drive automatic. Usually a Chrysler product has a full bellhousing as part of the trans case so I don't think there is anything to be gained there. You might possibly have to unbolt the oil pump from the block and let it fall into the pan to remove the pan. If that is so it will be a bear to reinstall but can be done as that's how many Fords are. Might have to just jack the engine higher being careful with the fan and the distributor cap.