How do I get this bottle baby to eat!!!!Help!

Discussion in 'Goats' started by SDjulieinSC, Jul 10, 2006.

1. SDjulieinSC

SDjulieinSC Well-Known Member

I picked up my little bottle baby pygmy Friday afternoon. Well she is hopfully going to be a bottle baby. Right now she WILL NOT TAKE IT!!! Not in a box, not with a fox, she does not like her bottle. I am worried to death. I have been trying to force her to take it, all she does is try to spit it out and run away. I figured she would be a bit difficult the first day or two but now I'm afraid she may get dehydrated or worse. I have started forcing a few CC's down her a couple times a day with a syringe, but that can't possibly be enough can it? She will drink water out of a bowl but will not take the milk that way. I bought a kid milk replacer because I can't find any fresh goat milk around here. She seems to be feeling ok. She is going pee but I have not seen her poo yet.
    What can I do? How much should she be eating at a feeding?
    I feel awful for taking her so early and I know shes miserable, guess we both are now. Thanks!

2. susanne

susanne Nubian dairy goat breeder

what do you mean you taken her too early? was this kid dam raised? how old is she? milk replacer is not a good idea. you are doing much better with store bought vit. d milk. ask the breeder what kind of nipple they used and you can do the same. if she was dam raised she will not take the bottle. if she drinks water she will probably not dehydrate. what are you feeding her? is she eating hay?

3. SDjulieinSC

She was a week old on Friday when I got her. She was on her mother prior to that. He gave me pritchard nipple to take with me, said it is what he uses. He gave me a recipe for formula, whole milk, butter milk, evap. milk, and white Karo syrup. She didn't love it. Vet said to use kid milk replacer, no better luck with it.
    I have offered her some grass hay and let her out into the yard to graze if she wanted. She kind of chews at the grass, don't know if she is actually getting down her. I even pulled some and offered it to her, think she like to pick out her own.
    Sorry to sound like a goat dummy, but I am!

4. susanne

a kid that was on their dam for a whole week will not take the bottle. i would bring her back. get a real bottle baby to start with.

5. mammawof3

mammawof3 Well-Known Member

How old is she??-does she have free access to hay/grain/browse?-milk replacer is a bad idea--they don't do well on it-get a gallon of whole milk from thestore,have raised many on that-usually if they get hungry enough they will start nursing-hold her where shr cannot get away from you-put the nipple in her mouth-keep moving it back and forth-squeesing the bottle so some will drip out-sometimes helps to put honey on the nipple-you may need a different type nipple also-the pritcherd teats are the best-IMO-squirting w/syringe is not a good idea either-too risky of them getting it in their lungs-don't know how ols she is-but should be getting several ounces/several times a day if she is very young. Good luck. :)

6. SDjulieinSC

I'm afraid that taking her back is not an option. Why is the kid replacer not good? I did put some 10 or 12% sweet feed in a pan, she was not interested. Would a goat feed be better, I did not have any on hand thats why I had to use the sweet feed.

7. GoldenWood Farm

GoldenWood Farm Legally blonde! Supporter

Susanne I have put month old kids on a bottle and younger. They can be VERY stubborn but it can be done (I have done nigies, dairy breeds, and boers). What I did was get them nice and hungry (sometimes it takes up to 24 hours to get them to eat) and then I would catch em and hold em. Put the nipple in their mouth and squeeze the bottle slightly to let milk trickle in their mouth. They will scream bloody murder and try and get away but I keep it up every few hours.

Part of the problem is they HATE milk replacer and I have found that kids don't grow as well on it. Also make sure you are having the milk warm enough for the baby. If I was you I would start looking around for some goats milk to by or go and get whole milk from the store.

Also if you want her hungry you have to restrict all food EXCEPT
    (but not water) the bottle IMHO (thats what I did). One big rule...when she starts screaming or struggling DON'T LET HER GO! That was my hardest thing to do. I sometimes have had to spend 20 minutes fighting with a kid to FINALLY get them to take it :hobbyhors . Oh a tidbit I learned is by rubbing their tail when trying to get them to take the bottle it sometimes helps their sucking reflexes :shrug: .

Good luck with your little gal!

MotherClucker

8. Wendy

Wendy Well-Known Member

At 1 week of age she is not going to eat grain or hay so don't even worry about that right now. Get some vitamin D milk from the store. Heat it until it is very warm. A little warmer than you would a human baby. The taste of the replacer is a lot different than mom's milk. That is one reason they do not want to drink it. Store milk will be closer in taste & smell. Hold her on your lap & stretch her neck out. Get the nipple in her mouth & gently squeeze so it drips out. Rub her throat to try to get her to swallow. I had a Pygmy kid die once because he simply refused to take the bottle. His dam had died so I couldn't put him back with her. Some of them will just simply not take a bottle if they were on their mom. That is why if you plan to bottle feed you need to do it from the beginning. All I can say is keep trying. She will not get enough from nibbling hay & grain & will definitely not get enough water to keep hydrated. She needs the milk to grow.

9. susanne

oh mc, you must be a very patient person :)
    i think for some one new to this it will be very difficult.

10. SDjulieinSC

I have mastered the art of the goat wedge, her between the arm/back of the couch and me. I can feel her swallowing so she must be getting something. I'm sure it is great fun to watch. We end up with more ON me than IN her. I found that I am able to get more in her if I put the nipple in the side rather than the front of her mouth, I just don't think she is getting enough.
    I was trying to feed her about every 6 hours but I think I'm going to see if she is a bit more hungry after 8.
    I still have not seen her poop. Her belly does not feel hard and she does not seem to be uncomfortable. Maybe she is just doing a few at a time when she's outside and I just don't see it.
    By the way MC you must be an octopus to be able to scratch tails, wrestle and feed at the same time!!

11. Raftercat5

Raftercat5 Kathy in S. Carolina

SDjulieinSC: Where in S. Carolina are you? I live in the Cheraw/Patrick/Society Hill area and have nubian goats. It's a struggle giving a baby a bottle that isn't used to it, but it CAN be done. Don't give up. Email me (Raftercat5@aol.com) and maybe we can connect to get you some good goat milk. (I pasteurize too!)
    - Kathy

12. mammawof3

I bought a 2 week old once-on her mom-i swore she would die before she ever took thebottle-i just kept insisting-eventually she did start sucking-(she may be getting more down-by putting it in the side of her mouth-but she can't suck that way-and the goal is to get her too start sucking,as she needs several ounces several times a day-) she is too young too get her nutrition from grain ect-mine will start "nibbling" grain at 2 weeks-but certainly not as the mainstay of their diet.-milk replacer tends too bloat them and scour them--and i think they just don't like the taste! If you can't get goat milk-whole store bought cow milk is best! :)

13. SDjulieinSC

Yippie!! She seems to be getting it! I'm not sure if I'm getting better or she has fina;lly decided that if she wants to eat she is going to have to take the bottle.
    Now that she has started really eating I am a little worried about switching her off the milk replacer and onto the regular milk. Should I mix it like I do with a dog, or leave well enough alone and stick with what I've got?
    What about going to the bathroom? I still have not seen her poop.

14. Faithful Heart

Faithful Heart Well-Known Member

I've read many many places that the milk replacer is SO bad, causing all sorts of problems, even killing some babies. One problem I read is causes often is something called floppy kid syndrome. I'd get her switched over. A good formula I saw on this forum is:

- 1 gallon whole cow's milk (put 3-4 cups into a jar)
    - add 1 can evaporated milk
    - add 1 cup buttermilk
    - add back as much of the retained 3-4 cups as will fit

Shake - warm a bottle to slightly hot - and feed.

Maybe you could give her an enema? Or isn't kayro syrup good for things like constipation? Or maybe give some mineral oil? I've given mineral oil to puppies and kittens that were constipated. Even ate mineral oil myself when needed.

15. mammawof3

IMO she has not gone poo-because she has not been eating-her body has needed every little bit it got-i would not do anything about that just yet-let her get some food going througfh her system first. :rolleyes:

16. waygr00vy

waygr00vy Sunny Daze Farm

Glad to hear your baby seems to be catching on! I have used milk replacer without any problems, although I do not bottle raise mine very often and definitely would agree goats milk is the best if you have access to it. I have heard it is not very good to switch though, once you have started with one. I have had to start kids on a bottle after 1 week with the dam and still managed fine, although they tend to be a little more resistant. I've had good luck getting stubborn kids to take a bottle by adding a dab of molasses in the bottle.

17. GoldenWood Farm

GoldenWood Farm Legally blonde! Supporter

Susanne I had a new family who had never even raised goats put three week olds on a bottle (EDITED TO SAY: I lived about 15 minutes away so if they had any problems doing it them selves I would take them back for a few days and get them on it my self. They wanted to try doing it first so I let them). They where Boer X's and stubborn as all get out but they did it. As far as the tail rubbing I have a helper do it :rolleyes: . I am not THAT talented.

I am not very patiant just very very stubborn :p . Lol I was like "You WILL take this bottle! :hobbyhors ". Heck my first babys ever I bought from auction at a couple days old and didn't know A THING about what to do for them except that they needed fed and what not (I knew some basics but only had one goat home at the time ect. ect.). So I had to put those boys on the bottle also using milk replacer. They liked real goats milk MUCH better and would drink it better as we found somebody who sold it.

I am glad your little girl is doing better! I have had babys who take the the bottle like they have been on it their whole life and others who I swear would starve them selves before they took it (never did though).

MotherClucker