How do I get the milking machine claw to stay on the cow?

Discussion in 'Cattle' started by gardengal1017, Apr 5, 2005.

1. gardengal1017

gardengal1017 Member

Hi,

I need some help again. Finally after 18 months (and replacing everything except the motor, I think) I have my milking machine set up. The maximum pressure I am getting isn't but 18 lbs and it drops down to about 12 when I open the valve as if I were milking. Problem is...I can't figure out how to get the claw/shells/inflators to stay on the cow. When I put two on at a time and then reach for the other two the forst two fall off. What am I doing wrong. I am getting so frustrated with this. I spent the winter hand milking because I couldn't get this thing going, but now I've got three jerseys to milk and I've got five more on the way. HELP please.

2. evermoor

evermoor Well-Known Member

Sounds like you don't have enough vaccum. Does the vaccum stay at 18 when just running? I'd rather see the vaccum at 15, but that probably is not the problem. Check for leaks in the tank, gasket or the claw. On some of the older milkers you might need to kink off each inflations to limit the air leaks. It can be quite a trick to hold two while putting the other two on. Make sure the cow is properly stimulated so you don't have to wait for the milk. Then turn on the claw with the inflations all kinked and wait till it stabilizes (if), then put on two wait and see then hopefully the other two. I hope I have helped sometimes the milkers can be such a pain in the butt.

3. Haggis

Haggis MacCurmudgeon

I bought a couple of "plug-its" for as many dollars when I bought my machine. These little dudes allow me to get everything going without loosing suction.

4. pygmywombat

pygmywombat Well-Known Member

Ideal vacuum pressure when milking is 12 pounds.

The teat cups are falling because you need all four on to keep the vacuum. It can be very hard to manuver when you are just starting out. Do you have another person who could put the other two on at the same time? I've gotten it down to an art where I get the back two sucked on and then hold them up with my left arm and get the front two sucked on. Hard to explain, but it works. I had to have my brothers come out each milking to help for months before I got the hang of it.

5. willow_girl

willow_girl Very Dairy

OK, Gardengal:

You are facing the udder of the cow, with her head to your left.

Hold the claw in position with your left hand, supporting it from underneath.

Use your right hand to attach the cups to the teats. Start with her right front teat and work clockwise around the udder, while continuing to support the weight of the claw with your left hand.

Hope this helps!!!

6. Farmer Brown

Farmer Brown Well-Known Member

Alot a factors that can come into play. Claws are designed to shut off when inflation is at down angle like when your holding in palm of hand and they hang free, with claw in upright position. This is due to the angle cut of the stainless steel nipples you push inflations tubes onto. If they are bent will leak some air. I attach two fartherest teats then two closest ones. If you push down slightly on shell as you hold under cow will assist in air shut off at nipple until youactually put it on teat. You must always support claw with hand untill you have all on and hanging straight and vac rebuilds if you lost any. I'd run 15 inches if I could. I have run 15 inches last 18 yrs and run cell count less than 200,000 so no problem with 15. No more while milking Another thing---some old Surge claws with glass bowls have to have support from surcingle or other means. Another tip--when you put on milker you hold shell down in hand just a bit so fingers make a funnel. This way no looking and is fast and easy. You can feel teat end and right on it goes. Another thig is cow. If teat placement is on outside of udder can be a real problem. Milker pulls wrong and lots of air leaks. And a fresh cow with hard udder can do too. have had to plug 2 and milk one side at a time. FB