How do I get a copy of discharge papers?

Discussion in 'Home Defense/Guns' started by willow_girl, Mar 21, 2005.

1. willow_girl

willow_girl Very Dairy

Recently, I tried to get my husband qualified for VA benefits. He served in the Air Force in the 70s. Never saw combat, but a co-worker told me he might be eligible anyway. He is disabled (not related to his service) and his meds are expensive. I was hoping we might be able to get a discount on his prescriptions.

Anyway, I filled out all the paperwork and mailed it in, and got a form letter back saying we needed to submit a copy of his DD214 (I think that's what it was called!) or discharge paperwork within 30 days. Trouble is, I don't know how to go about obtaining this. Googling didn't seem to provide me with an answer (other than many private companies who will obtain it for you for a whopping fee). I figure since this is a government document, it should be readily obtainable. But how?!

I tried calling the VA contact person on 3 occasions, got voicemail, left a detailed message ... no one has bothered to call us back. :confused:

Does anyone have any suggestions?

2. mtman

mtman Well-Known Member

go to the vfw in your town they will help you then he can get his med. from the vets. hospital for free iff you cant aford them

3. mistletoad

mistletoad Well-Known Member Supporter

4. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    Go to the 13th listing in the sticky's labled "Major links, ect.)" it furnishes the addresses you need to do this. Any other info needed contact me via PM's.

5. willow_girl

willow_girl Very Dairy

Thanks, guys! That's exactly the information I was looking for!!! :)

6. NativeRose

NativeRose Texas Country Grandma

This helped me also. Thanks! My dad lost his records and has been wanting to get copies of his discharge papers. He served in Korea. Thanks again.

7. COUNTRY WISHES

COUNTRY WISHES Well-Known Member

The VFW or American Legion cna help you. They will have the form you need to send in for his papers. It will take about 6 weeks to get them.

Jeep has a program too that gives veterans and active duty soldiers a $500. rebate when purchasing a new vehicle from them. All you need to show is the discharge papers or current military id.

8. BillHoo

BillHoo Well-Known Member

I got this advice when I initially ETS'd (completed my first tour to you non-mil folks).

It was recommended that I take my DD Form 214 (discharge papers) and have notarized copies filed at the county hall of records. It only cost a few bucks and I also had an extra notarized copy for myself. the original I keep in a safe deposit box.

I just got my 20 year letter (years of service before you are eleigible to receive retirement benefits). though I am still in Iraq, my intent is to have the thing notarized and kept with my new DD214 when I get back.

-CPT_H

9. longrider

longrider Southern Gent

i just recently got my VA Loan Certification Papers through the VA. You will have to GO and stand infront of the desk and request your DD 214 at the VA center nearest you. Usually this center is apart from the VA Hospital so ask around or simply call and ask where it is.

They will do the records search after you fill out the form. it will take a couple of months at the most if all go's well just to find his DD 214. at that time you can have them certified for VA loans, and other benefits.

You can also get a picture ID card for him then. which will make life easier when you need help. definately go down to the local court house and have all these forms noterized and recorded there.

my brother tried to call and get his stuff done and after weeks of trying he simply drove to the VA center and two hours later he had everything he needs. just this year he got a VA loan push through simply because he had all the paperwork noterized and in hand.

when clinton reduced the size of the military he also cut medical benefits. if you make too much money then you may not get the meds. you have to be in the poverty range to get them. My dad spent 42 years in and cant get meds because his retirement pay is too. it varies region to region.

i get my meds and only my meds. but because they dont cost that much month to month it is easier for me to skip spending the whole day driving down there and sitting and waiting on them, i go to walmart and get mine through a local vet- i mean doctor.