How Do I Find Out What Breed My Rabbits Are?

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by Gayle in KY, May 2, 2004.

1. Gayle in KY

Gayle in KY Gadabout

A friend of mine gave me 4 rabbits last night- one buck and 3 bred does. He didn't know what kind they were. These are the biggest rabbits I've ever seen! They are about 2 feet long, when sitting naturally, and weigh about 15 pounds each. They are lops (I don't know if there are different kinds of lops- none that I've had in the past are anywhere near this big!). The does are light brown with irregular white spots, concentrated near the neck and head. The buck is a darker brown, with the same spots. They are very tame, although he says he never messed with them much. Does anyone know what kind they might be?

2. james dilley

james dilley Well-Known Member Supporter

a photo might help, is there a possibility they are crossed with another breed.? hard to say try looking on a rabbit web site they should have pictures to help go by.

3. Gayle in KY

Gayle in KY Gadabout

I don't have the capability to post photos, but I think I found out what kind they are- French Lops (males at least 10 pounds, females, at least 11). I have a 2'X4' cage, that we brought them home in. The four of them were crammed into it! I couldn't lift one end of it (and I'm not weak).

4. chickflick

chickflick Well-Known Member

5. 4-h'er

4-h'er Member

oo! oo! i know! i live for these questions! i'll bet you good money they're french lops :D