How do I acclimate the baby into the barn?

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Jillis, Dec 4, 2005.

1. Jillis

Jillis Well-Known Member

The baby goat with the injured leg is soooo ready to go out to the barn. She does still favor the leg, but when we take her out of the cage to play is running and jumping and etc. When we put her in the cage, she cries LOUDLY for prolonged periods of time.
    I was checking on the babies tonight when I got in from being out-of-state all weekend, and my son came out with her and said, "Dad said to put her out here, she is too noisy!"
    All the other goatlings kept sniffing her butt, and she sniffed all their butts. Everything seemed kind of okay but she seemed cold. I put the dog's polartec coat on her, and maybe it was the smell of dog, but some of them started butting her roughly. I brought her back in.
    I am going to launder the dog coat, but should I start by just putting her in for a few hours every day. and increase it every day? Should I use the dog coat at all? It will be in the twenties for the next few days, and then the low thirties. It is warmer in the barn, expecially in the kidding stall where there are heat lamps and it is tarped too. Their water never freezes...
    TIA. I know I am asking a lot of questions, but I really appreciate this forum. There are so many caring, knowledgable folks here---you really are becoming my "neighbors"!

2. Rachel K.

Rachel K. Well-Known Member

Since she has been in the house she isn't used to the colder weather from outside. If its warm enough in the barn I would try putting her in with the other kids without the Dog coat. They will all sleep together in a pile and help keep each other warm.

I suggest putting her in with the other kids while you are there to keep a eye on things and make sure eveyone is getting along well together. If things go smoothly you could try keeping her out all night or day. Do what you feel comfortable with.

Good luck!

3. crazygoatgirl

crazygoatgirl Well-Known Member

Yes, you are on the right track. Start putting her out for short periods everyday. Starting out during the warmest parts of the day and increase her time gradually. I would make sure she can stand to be out all day long for sevaral days and is getting along fine with all of her pen mates before leaving her overnight. I would start off with washing the dog coat...maybe even twice and putting it on her for the first few days out.
    You can't sit and play referee with her, yes she was injured but you will have to let her gain her place among the other kids...not saying let them beat the snot out of her but she will have to establish her place in the group.
    Hope this helps!!!

4. Misty

Misty Misty Gonzales

we try not to pull kids from the barn unless we have to. I have found in the past that these kids turn out to be loners and don't really "belong" to any group. They are shunned by society.
    But try a while each day increasing it. We learned the hard way that this causes a problem bringing them to the house.

5. Jillis

Jillis Well-Known Member

Thanks, all, once again!
    I don't think I had a choice about bringing her in. I was told the leg was broken at the upper growth plate. She could put literally no weight on it at all, and she was in a lot of pain.
    Now she is prancing! The other babies weren't too bad until I put the dog coat on her. So I may try putting her out for a few hours today, and keep checking through the wondow as to how she is doing. She really needs to be out there, she is so bored! Her twin sister is out there too. I have had her out in the yard with them last week before the temp dropped again. I think she will be okay since they are all still so young.
    Thank you, thank you!