·
Registered
7,576 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The thread about 'what happened to' was interesting to
peruse about previous ST participants. I remember Bercado
and a few others mentioned. He seemed interesting as a
young 20 ish fellow interested in cartography. At the time he
posted about his new surveying job and travels, etc.
I hope he's doing well, and others who have. 'Moved on'.

I have an independence about myself, met lots of interesting
folks, and still do. My saying about hello's and goodbyes is
that ' I'll see ya when I see ya '. I guess I am a person that
doesn't get much attatchment to anyone. Don't know, or care,
why that is but such is life.....c'est la vie.

So, this got me thinking about people, even myself, about
how things are different in our lives from before. Lots of
things change around us, we sometimes change what we do,
and so on. We age, can't change that. Certainly health plays
into it. Our adventures diminish, or grow by changing interests,
maybe other people we are with influence our lifestyles, etc.

So, How Different is Your Life now from what it used to be
not that long ago? What's changed for better or worse?

·
Shut the front door!
15,001 Posts
So, How Different is Your Life now from what it used to be
not that long ago? What's changed for better or worse?
Divorced
House for sale
Going to move
Starting over, from scratch, over 40
Discovering who I am
Discovering my passions
Dreaming dreams, and working towards making dreams, reality.
Falling in love with life.
Seeing beauty I 'missed' before
Smiling, Laughing. Things I have not done, in years.
Forgiving and letting go of the past; it's to heavy to carry around anymore.
Purging my home like a ROCK STAR

Changing the way I think, the way I see things, the way I look at things.
Not looking at my 'old' life plan and mourning anymore; Looking at the blank canvas that my life has in front of me and all the pretty colors on the paddle I can chose from to paint my own ending!!!!!

·
Premium Member
7,215 Posts
Not that long ago for me would be seven years this month, the time of my retirement. I moved back permanently to the farm, the place where I was born and worked so hard to get away from as a youngster. I have a garden, an orchard, a berry patch, and livestock. These things once meant only work and sweat, but not so much any longer. They are fun pastimes that keep me going. Heck, I don't even mind the little Jersey calf treading on my toes as she gets excited for her bottle. It's all good.

As for diminished adventures, I've not found that to be true, actually quite the opposite. The Alaska road trip I wanted to take at 16, I finally got around to doing this past Summer, forty odd years late but still just as fun as it would have been as a teen. God and circumstances permitting, I hope to see Kilauea erupting in March and beyond that I want to go to the land of newfieannie's birth next Fall. I'll sit and read when I cannot move any longer.

·
Registered
2,553 Posts
Pre divorce I was rather shallow and introverted. Post divorce I have found that I'm was way more extroverted, can express my opinions without getting bent and even appreciate others opinions. I have expanded my gardens, think more globally (outside my personal box), I enjoy my life and what a great feeling that is. The more I do this the more I find like minded people.

·
Registered
2,553 Posts
Divorced
House for sale
Going to move
Discovering who I am
Discovering my passions

Not looking at my 'old' life plan and mourning anymore; Looking at the blank canvas that my life has in front of me and all the pretty colors on the paddle I can chose from to paint my own ending!!!!!
And your strength shows. In just the last year you have changed in your outlook. I've quite enjoyed your blooming.

·
Registered
2,553 Posts
Not that long ago for me would be seven years this month, the time of my retirement. I moved back permanently to the farm, the place where I was born and worked so hard to get away from as a youngster. I have a garden, an orchard, a berry patch, and livestock. These things once meant only work and sweat, but not so much any longer. They are fun pastimes that keep me going. Heck, I don't even mind the little Jersey calf treading on my toes as she gets excited for her bottle. It's all good.

As for diminished adventures, I've not found that to be true, actually quite the opposite. The Alaska road trip I wanted to take at 16, I finally got around to doing this past Summer, forty odd years late but still just as fun as it would have been as a teen. God and circumstances permitting, I hope to see Kilauea erupting in March and beyond that I want to go to the land of newfieannie's birth next Fall. I'll sit and read when I cannot move any longer.
I still want to go to Alaska. I will before my family there moves on.

·
Renegade Gypsy Queen
2,126 Posts
I lived up in the north country homesteading, in village government, running a business and supporting my mother. The area was (and still is) declining, farmer's getting old and selling their land and super farms taking over. No one was (or still is) moving in, but plenty of people are dying and moving out. Several large factories closed or were purchased and subsequently shut down after the parent company absorbed or liquidated the assets and laid people off enmasse. An F4 tornado had gone through a few years prior and decimated the small local shops of the downtown of the county seat that was closest to the village were I was living and a super walmart opened. No decent jobs, no one to spend money = no one to support my business. I had moved in with my mother and started renting out my house, sold off the business assets, had several auctions and garage sales and took my brilliant mind (lol) and left.

1000 miles and two years later.

I live in an efficiency apartment in the DFW metroplex. I support my mother and now...as of this past week....I support my daughter again while she attends university. Some more major differences:

I have a car now instead of a pickup.
I had to put both of my dogs down.

I used to sit on my back deck and survey my beautiful raised bed gardens, listening to the birds, playing with the dogs...watching wild turkeys, rabbits, deer, etc pass by. At night I could fall asleep to the coyotes and walk down the driveway to get the mail and meet the new black bear family that decided to come to town on Wednesday afternoon.

Now I sit on a small porch/balcony and listen to the highway, watch squirrels as big as small dogs, listen to the birds and all the neighbors and can hear most of what they are saying even if I can't exactly see them.

I used to have no health insurance and doctor's that wouldn't listen until you got angry and sometimes not even then.
Now I have 100% premium paid medical, vision and dental insurance and about 15 doctors lol

Back home I drove 36 miles once a month to grocery shop and get whatever supplies I couldn't get locally. The drive took me about 40 minutes if I went the scenic route through the hills...which I usually did.

Here I drive 18 miles one way to work, it takes me an hour and a half. I grocery and what not shop twice a month at a store 2 miles away. My budget is $100 dollars and that is difficult, but doable. Because of what has not changed.

I still make my own soaps, detergents and toiletries. That 30$ worth of supplies I bought in Feb. of 2013 I still have gallons and gallons to go of soap making.
I still buy food staples in bulk. That 25lbs of rice I bought May of 2013 I still have three quarts of.
I take in my clothes as I lose weight.
I only purchase what I need when I need it after much scrutiny as to whether or not I need it.
I knit and sell those things.
I bead and sell those things.

I've been thinking about the state of things for quite some time. I am not sure how long my work contract will last and I'm not sure after that if I will be able to find a position as well paying as this one after this one. My mother is going to require my physical presence soon...it would be better for me to be with her right now but she's doing alright so far. But if I can't get land and get her down here soon, I will have to go back either for temporary or permanent. I'm not sure how I'm going to figure that out. But I probably will.

Sure would be nice about now to find that other person that is ready for an adventure with me. But. I reckon I made it 22 years with one income and I can make it 22 more. :)

·
Registered
7,576 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Deleted. Double post.

·
Registered
7,576 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I took the Alaska hwy. road trip in the late 80's. Went for
7 weeks and 5000 miles! Never drove more than 200 miles
a day. It was an excellent adventure seeing the different landscapes
and side road sites. I most liked the Yukon and rugged beauty
of northern British Columbia. Whitehorse reminded me much
of the town I lived in ontario being the same size and similar
attitude. It would take hours describing, so if you get a chance,
Do it!

I've reflected a lot about myself and. 'Changes'. I conclude
that it's not do much how I change, but how I've adapted to
changes around me. With setbacks and all that goes on,
it's adaptation that makes the difference. Better to do that
than to try and keep redefining myself by circumstances.
I never felt I'm reinventing myself, but I do keep learning
and sometimes even apply what I've learned. But to say
I've fundamentally changed in personality wouldn't be true.

As for what has changed over the past decade in my life is
keeping true to what I want to basically keep doing. That is
to keep busy in an interesting workplace off site from zen stead
and still put in time on the stead, on the land as I often
already described in many posts.
I figure that for the most part I am what I am , and it is
what it is. To accept otherwise brings on too much negative
reflecting.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Divorced
House for sale
Going to move
Discovering who I am
Discovering my passions

Laura, I like your attitude and you probably have a very pleasant personality.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Went from big house, bass boat, ski, boat, duck boat, Town truck, hunting truck, hotrod, quad, jet ski, 50"tv, four credit cards and three years worth of debt to living in 400 square feet and two trucks. (kept the paid-for stuff) No debt, building savings. I was captain consumer for sure and as long as I could make the minimum payment it was mine, mine, mine.

Now, I still buy the things I want I just don't want much. I purged a few dozen guns, but have plenty left. Instead of a rotisserie, micro, convection, and toaster oven, I have a micro. Instead of three big flat screens I have one medium one that I don't watch. I went from 275 channels to three and haven't missed a darn thing.

Living frugally is what homesteading means to me until the youngest is done in school and I get to move out of the commie state. I still hang out on my parent's mini farm on weekends and whenever I get a half day off.

I also am doing some timber falling once in a while because it gets me out in the woods and almost pays for fuel and chains.

The biggest difference in my life is now I am a complete person as a single unit. For my entire adult life before I was half of a pair of dysfunctional. I learned a lot these past five years.

·
Super Moderator
13,683 Posts
My life has always been the same. The sun comes up and I see what my life brings my way and I live it for the whole day until I finally go to bed for some :zzz: before getting up and live the next day of my life.

All in all its been a memorable trip and the only thing on my bucket list is to one day kick it when my life no longer chooses to offer me that next day to wake up to and live through.

Do you know why they call dead folk the "late so and so"? Because if you make an appointment with a dead dude he aint gonna show up on time. At least you hope he doesn't because if he does he will probably want to eat your brains (that was one creepy B horror flick) :)

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
After my big global company moved operations to other countries and folded here, after 17 yrs there, I began to work temp jobs. Did this for many yrs, and had no insurance or benefits. Moved several times, in the country, in the city....
Went from my beloved truck to a small SUV, and am currently renting a very small house on 1.5 acres, and took in my 4 little grandsons and DIL. Got hired on full time at my last temp job, which is the best and highest paying job I've ever had.
I work 40 hours M-F, and then watch my grandsons all weekend while my DIL works her second job. I am asking for, (and feel like I'm making progress) wisdom, patience, and a soft heart with these little ones. It ain't easy sometimes to keep finding things to do on the wkends with them in a small house, when the weather is bad, and limited funds! It's a real adjustment, but we're making it work! :)

U

·
0 Posts
I used to be asleep and dreamed of being awake. Now that I'm awake, I never long to be asleep.

You can be yourself, no matter your circumstances. It's just easier to walk through a clear spot than through through a briar patch.

It seems like it takes a long time to find yourself, then you realize, you were right there, all along. You don't have to look hard, just look in the right place.

·
Premium Member
10,372 Posts
I left home at 12. 14 acre homestead. Got married, had 2 kids. Farmed until health gave out. Doctor said get your life in order, you will not work again, not sure if I would live or not. I worked as hard getting well as I ever worked in my life. I was 37, polio relapse, second one. 2 years later, got an overseer job on a farm part time, very little physical labor. Took it for the health benefits and the fishing. Walked the farm everyday, looked out for the cattle, made a little hay, in season. Got my health back and a lot of fishing done. A town job came along, worked my way up to supervisor. Easy at first, go home at 4:30, guess I didn't learn much. After 16 years and a lot of stress for the last 4, my health was failing again. We had lived the "good life" but kept a hand in the homesteading ways. Had the off grid cabin and the little farm to grow good food and my goat milk. Left the job and went full time off grid. The next year, Mayor of small hometown wanted me to help out part time. Moved into a small cottage we had in town and worked 16 hours a week for parts of next 2 years, lots of time off at the lake, beach and traveled some. Last year needed surgery on ankle, stayed at the beach cabin for the winter so Sweetie could keep up, less stress (no wood stove to keep going to keep warm. This winter back at the off grid cabin. DS lives 40' away. Made some changes that will make living here easier. Not totally dependent on wood for heat, still for cooking and hot water, but during the day. It has been a lot of changes in 3 1/2 years but all for the better. We are back where we started when we first got married almost 41 years ago, very simple, very happy life....James

·
Conscientious Disrupter
4,246 Posts
I'm with ac on this one. Better. simply better. There're too many little things that make up the difference for me to try to explain it. To anyone else it would just sound like a disjointed ramble. But, in a nut shell, at the end of 3 1/2 years I feel like the administrators of the school of hard knocks have finally seen fit to pass me to the next grade.

Mostly, I've learned to appreciate that life is a series of moments...each one to be cherished and lived to the fullest. No more fretting about the destination. You can't hide from the vagaries of your life. There'll be moments of harmony, as well as chaos; frantic creativity, or simple order.

Two different people can experience the same happening and come away with totally opposed attitudes about it. I'm learning to face life with new eyes and savor those moments, no matter what they're made of. If I stop feeling, then I might as well be dead.

·
Country Girl
4,306 Posts
Divorce 10 years ago after 32 years of marriage....a big life change but I am MUCH better off for it!!! I've endured the death of a grandchild, my grandma that raised me, my MIL, and my mother (last summer) but the biggest change of all has been my retirement as of last April!!! I thought that I would have plenty of time to plan out the last 20 years of my life (hopefully) but I have been busier than when I worked I think!!! :) Retirement has it's own challenges and it has been harder than I imagined - emotionally. Thank goodness for my grandchildren to keep me busy!!! :) Another hard change has been the lose of my mobility. It has certainly changed how I do things here. I have been downsizing my livestock and will soon have only my chickens left. It is just too hard for me to get out and feed and care for things like I used to. I didn't get to garden much this year either but I ALWAYS hope that NEXT year will be better!!!

Life is FULL of changes and I try to "go with the flow" - I'm like a Timex watch that "keeps on ticking"!!! :)

·
Premium Member
7,215 Posts
COSunflower: Bet you are going to kick yourself for not doing it sooner (and you'll be able to) once you get that knee replaced. I had dinner with a cousin over the weekend who played golf four times last week (definitely not a homesteader but a nice family member nonetheless). She walked all 18 holes every day on her new knee. She's in her early 70's.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts