How did your CSA do this year? (I love talking about CSA's)

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by marisal, Dec 1, 2004.

1. marisal

marisal Well-Known Member

I was trying to find a topic to bring up CSA's :eek:

I love talking about them, or at least reading what other people say about them....I want to start one as soon as I get our house :rolleyes: and organize everything, it probably won't become anything for a few years..Till I do some test growing....I will try to as soon as I can sell at Farmers MArkets though.

For those who run one, How did it go this year? Do you also sell at farmer's markets?

Oh, and what made you want to get into CSA's? how many acres do you farm? How many shares are you doing?

For those who were thinking about starting one, How is it going?

Anything else anyone would want to add would be great!!!

~Marisa :)

2. seedspreader

seedspreader AFKA ZealYouthGuy

Marisa,

With the fact that almost a thousand people have joined just since I have been registered, perhaps you could define what a CSA is for the newcomers.

3. marisal

CSA: Community Supported Agriculture

What Is Community Supported Agriculture?
    Community Supported Agriculture (CSA) is a partnership of consumers and farmers. The member shareholders provide a guaranteed market and income, as well as labor, to produce and distribute the food for a growing season. The farmers provide weekly shares of fresh, seasonal, organically grown vegetables, fruits, and herbs. Both partners share in the risks and rewards of small-scale farming: weather, insect damage, and bumper crops.

4. Bob_W_in_NM

Bob_W_in_NM Well-Known Member

I'm familiar with "Community Supported Agriculture" The first thing that the letters "CSA" bring to my mind Is "Confederate States Of America".

5. marisal

If you do a search on this website for CSA's there are a few posts about it. I was wondering how everyone was doing with it.

6. marisal

7. sylvar

sylvar Well-Known Member

Hey...I want to know too! :)

8. HilltopDaisy

HilltopDaisy Well-Known Member Supporter

Marisal, where are you in NY? I'm in Broome County. I hope to sell to a natural foods store this summer, and eventually at the Ithaca Farmer's Market.

9. jackie c

jackie c Well-Known Member

I don't know where the other established CSA operators are, but I intend on doing this next year. I've been working on a business plan for this the last 5 months. There is a lot to plan out! I haven't got much help other that the basic gist of it, but am slowly sifting through all kinds of data to come up with some idea of what, and how much to plant to fill orders. If you start a business plan you'll come up with your own system I guess, and you'll see why its taking me so long (only about half done the plan)to get this all in order. I have had a lot of interest in it when I talk to people about it, so, hopefully when I advertise the shares for sale, it will show up in membership sales :D

10. marisal

Right now I'm in Monroe County, but will hopefully be moving to Orleans county.

11. 3girls

3girls Well-Known Member

There is a book by Bob and Bonnie Gregson, Rebirth of the Small Family Farm, a Handbook for Starting a Successful Organic Farm Based on the Community Supported Agriculture Concept. It can give you a bit of and idea of how to start. Also, there is the classic by Robin Van Eyn, et al. I'm sorry I don't know the title of that one.

I suggest starting small, say 10 clients, and learn an awful lot with that experience. Have a very good understanding of succession planting.

I have a friend who started one with that number and is approaching 50 customers now after a few years. She has added a few more each year as she developed new land. She manages most of it herself. It can be done!! Just remember to plant what they want, and go lightly on unusual additions.