Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Big Front Porch advocate
44,851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can knit/purl and read directions and do fairly well on two needles and beginner or low intermediate type of patterns, but the thought of using 4 needles is almost terrifying. I have this fear of the stitches sneaking off the other end when I'm not looking, and it seems too many things to be in the way of your working hands.

I see some Mom's at the ice rink knitting on socks with that really neat color changing thin yarn and they do it as easy as I sew or crochet and it just floors me.

So, how did you teach yourself/learn? And what type of first project?

I asked about lessons at a yarn/roving/spinning store about 1 mile from me, but they don't do lessons.

Thanks for pointers (what a pun :rolleyes:) on this issue.

Angie

·
Registered
205 Posts
I just picked up a sock book and went for it. I found that if you go with a basic pattern and follow it line by line, you'll probably get pretty good results. Also, I think there are tutorials on line.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Angie, if you can knit with two needles, you can knit with four. It just takes a bit more attention. What I do is cast on on two needles. I sometimes even knit/purl back using just two needles to get it straight. Then I divide the stitches onto three needles. Instead of knitting back you just continue across the opening pulling really tight so you don't have a gap. Make sure the stitches don't get twisted. You knit the same way you do on two needles, making sure there aren't any gaps when you change needles. The things to watch out for are that the stitches don't slide off the other end of the needle and not having gaps between needles, but that will come with practice. If you knit back a row at the beginning you have to use the tail to close up the tiny opening there. It sounds a lot harder than it is. Good luck!

·
winding down
3,471 Posts
I stick with two points, but use a cable needle. I don't like holding a porcupine in my hands! I started using the cable on hats, and then when I wanted to learn socks I looked up magic loop...and found that's what I'd been doing already. You just pull the cable between stitches partway down so you flatten your circle and work it as two sides. And only two points to worry about.

M

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
Think of it like this... you're still just knitting with two needles... the other needles (one or two, depending on the set of needles and personal preference) are merely 'stitch holders' just hanging around patiently minding your other stitches while you turn your attention to the ones on the 'working' needles.

And if you've got mom's sitting around knitting socks, I'll just bank on them being friendly enough for you to sidle over and watch a bit... the difference between you and those sock knitters is about 2 pairs of socks...

Like all other knitting lessons ... it's yarn , nothing more,,, pick it up and try it.

Good tutorials on the net: (well they should be there, but I'm having trouble with my server, will try to come back and look later)

give it a shot.... the lady who can sew those massive stage curtains will certainly be able to tackle a little project like socks.

dawn

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Well, I taught myself with the help of Knitty.com and their 'practice sock'--

http://www.knitty.com/ISSUEspring05/images/trainingsock.txt

Once you get the hang of it, everything else will fall into place...

I'd tell you the funny someone said when I tried to teach them to knit with DPN's, but it's "fresh" :D

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
I taught myself to knit socks on 4 needles by using Silvers sock class. This wonderful website shows you everything about using 4 needles. I had never knitted ANYTHING before and found this easy to understand and follow. They alsohave tutorials for other yarn crafts.
DC

http://www.cometosilver.com/socks/SockClass_Start.htm

·
Big Front Porch advocate
44,851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I found that Silver's site last night, good to see it recommended. I may have to print out my 40% off anything at Hobby Lobby and go get a skein of sock yarn and double pointed needles so I can try this during the holidays.

Any other advice will be read and appreciated.

Angie

·
Registered
379 Posts
I actually learned to knit with 5 needles [my grandma in Germany taught me]. If you make our stitches nice and tight, they will not slip off the needles. As an alternative you could look for a round needle [not sure if they are available here in the US?]. That is 2 straight or slightly bowed needles with a flexible cable in between for doing socks etc.

·
Registered
382 Posts
I taught myself when I made a hat..I just decreased untill the hat didn't want to fit on my circs and knit the stitches on to DPNs.. I also watched videos on YouTube. Here are some on sock knitting
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9NQMGCo_mXY[/ame] -Part one
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZH***gIWt4&feature=related[/ame] - Part two
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aN2B47KDNTM&feature=related[/ame] -Part three
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rkE9ZVrHrR0&feature=related[/ame] - Part four

Have fun!! Happy Knitting!!

·
Premium Member
1,908 Posts
My Irish grandmother taught me to knit when I was 7, almost 53 years ago next summer, long before the internet was even thought about so you young gals are really lucky to have that resource. In my youthful zeal and enthusiasm, I didn't mind having to ravel out several rounds or even the whole piece for the practice if I did drop a few stitches. It just never occured to me that I couldn't hold stitches on 4 needles at a time. I still have the set of 4 DPNs my grandmother gave me when she taught me but I don't use them on any knitting that I take with me for fear of losing one of them. Ironically, I was the only one of her granddaughters who learned to knit and I lived 1500 miles from her while her other granddaughters were within 100 miles. Go figure.

And Imnde, it's actually way easier to hold your work on 4 needles and knit with the fifth as your grandmother taught you than it is to carry the work on 3 needles and knit with the 4th.

·
Administrator
20,242 Posts
Angie, I know for sure that you're talented enough to master knitting on dpn's. I'm at work right now but when I get home, I'll pm you the title of a book that was my greatest help. It's a sock knitting book but offers so many diagrams and little details that it's by far worth the investment.

·
Mansfield, VT for 200 yrs
3,736 Posts
I'm always surprised when I hear people say they are intimidated by 4 (5) needle round knitting... I almost exclusively knit in the round. Knitting on 2 needles messes me up! It is SO much easier to do color work in the round.

And 'tis not like holding a porcupine! ;-)

·
winding down
3,471 Posts
And 'tis not like holding a porcupine! ;-)
'Tis to me! LOL

(and that's even funnier to me today 'cause I was stalking a spoilee in a swap on Ravelry today, and she used the exact same phase that I did about DPNs and porcupines! Perhaps we're related!)

But intimidation has nothing to do with it. Ease of use does. I'm comfortable with cables, so why force myself to learn a method that is uncomfortable for me? Wouldn't be sensible to me. Nor might a person who is accustomed to DPNs want to force themselves to learn a different method. I'm sure there are also folks out there who want to learn every possible method. I'm just not one of them.

It's a good thing there are multiple methods for all the multiple personalities out there!

·
Registered
500 Posts
I am a self taught knitter - books and now internet - THANK goodness for you tube and all of the generous ladies who have posted tutorials.

If I use dpns it's five, four hold stitches and I knit onto the fifth. After a few projects using dpns I went to magic loop and never looked back.

I am now trying to knit holding the thread in my left hand, like it is done when I crochet. It feels awkward right now but if I want to increase speed I feel that this is the way to go.

You will never learn until you pick it up and get started. A few mistakes will help you to learn what not to do and that is important. So don't be scared, it's just sticks and fiber.

·
Big Front Porch advocate
44,851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well, I went to Hobby Lobby tonight and used my 40% off coupon for a skein of Sock-Ease that says it's good for two socks.

And a set of 2.75mm (American size 2) double point needles.

Now, I'm sorta set to give this a try.

Angie

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Here's another website - http://www.royea.net/sockdemo1.html
This is the one I learned from. I am hooked! I love knitting socks, and just love using DPNs. I did buy the book "Getting Started Knitting Socks" by Ann Budd, because none of my socks fit anybody... Now they fit, and they look great!
Try mittens first, if you're intimidated by the 4 needles. I think they're easier...

1 - 20 of 63 Posts