How did you choose your land.....?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by texastami, Mar 25, 2004.

1. texastami

texastami Zone 7B Supporter

This should have read:

How did you select your LOCATION for your homestead????? Am curious to know .....

Especially if you are looking nationwide...... or a couple of states wide....

Resources to search for property???

2. bergere

bergere Just living Life

For us at the time, it was any sitck build house in our budget, which wasn't much, that would go VA.
    Not many places go VA over here.

3. FolioMark

FolioMark In Remembrance

illinois but i have a homestead building in missou
    We looked all around our area of illinois but everything was way beyond our budget. If it was cheap it was too far to commute daily and it just didnt make sense to buy. Then we found out about Ozarkland.com and we couldnt beat the no money down low payment plan that Neil offers. We took a look at what he had to offer and took the plunge sight unseen. A few months later Neil offered us a different piece of land that had a pond on it cause he knew we really wanted water. We made an even trade, again sight unseen except for some photos. When we finally got down there to see the place we were very happy. In fact we bought the 6 acres next door as well. The climate was a bit better than what we had in Illinois, it was closer to Jons parents and the cost of living was way cheaper than illinois. My only regret is that we didnt buy a place with a bit more open pasture ground.

4. Mudwoman

Mudwoman Well-Known Member

When we first started talking about buying land, we decided that we would select 6 areas that we thought might offer what we wanted. We had a couple of books about the best places to live and places rated etc. We started making a list of "wants".

Then a few months later, we were supposed to go on a vacation to Sante Fe. The stomach flu caused the cancellation of that trip and with a shortened time frame, we decided to take a drive up to the Quachitas in Arkansas----an area by the way that we had not considered before. We spent a day looking at a few properties that appealed to us from ads in a local paper (lack of anything else to do) and by 4pm that afternoon found a place that we both fell in love with. Signed a contract. Talk about an emotional purchase!!! It was 8 times what we had decided that we could afford and it was not an owner finance! Went home and had a nervous breakdown trying to figure out how to pay for it-----what on earth were we thinking. In fact, 4 days later, my Dh said to call the realtor and tell him that there was no way we could buy the place. But, depression and tears set in at the thought and we didn't make the call and we did figure out how to buy it. We still love this place and have never been sorry. We made HUGE sacrifices to pay for this place and looking back, it was worth every sacrifice.

5. Alex

Alex Well-Known Member

Hi Tam & Fam,

Is this what you wanted to know? It was romance, that is how we chose our location, it was a love affair, it was and is perfect.

and

not really finally,

Enjoy Canada (and America) both great countries - there are also many others! Isn't the world a beautiful place?

Alex

This is copyrighted material, don't we all have a half typed manuscript on our hard drive? Is that OK? I could boil it down and say "we read a book and found some nice land, and had a great time so far".

6. Mutti

Mutti Well-Known Member Supporter

Took a flying road trip to MO on a cold Jan weekend...and it was sunny and warm down here....we were snagged!!!! Looked at some horrid places...several homes without indoor plumbing even and then our old farm house that stood stout and tall on a hill...with a lovely 120 acres, river at the end of the road and thousands of acres of forest land to ride the horses...HOOKED...put our money down and drove back to frigid MI and got packing. Moved down last day of Feb. to a snowstorm,no heat in the house but hey, we didn't care!! Good thing we didn't lite a fire as the chimney was cracked....and the electric wiring was cloth coated so the good Lord was surely watching over us. Now, many thousands of dollars later we have the place of our dreams...could have built a McMansion for what we've spent remodeling but we don't care. Fixed up old barn and chicken house, built new pole barn. A few strands more barbed wire to keep in the sheep. Have three ponds, 80 acres oak woods,great neighbors and we've never regretted our "from the heart" choice. Family always thought we were nuts anyhow living like hippies in the country up in MI. !!! DEE

7. Jane in southwest WI

Jane in southwest WI Well-Known Member

We knew what state we wanted to be in (Wisconsin). My husband is from Wisconsin and has family here. We also knew that we wanted to be an hour away from any interstate (and not too close to the family - just far enough to discourage drop-ins :). So we took out a map and highlighted an area that wasn't near interstates and concentrated on that area.

In visiting the general area (southwest Wisconsin) there was one county that felt more like home to us. It's hard to explain; some places didn't feel right so we didn't look in those counties or townships. The land we ended up buying is in a township that felt like "home". We had a good feeling about the nearby towns, the neighbors and the land.

8. Laura

Laura Well-Known Member

When we decided to leave Montana, we subscribed to the major Sunday Papers from two states we were interested and got a feel of each of them. We decided we would rent for a year before deciding to buy or move on.

When we found our area we wanted to settle, what is in our price range and is close enough to work? Good well, good soil and southern exposure is what was important to me. Stable zoning is important to me, too. We chose rural residential, agricultural, industrial zoning. No parcels smaller than 5 acres, with no further subdiving. I also wanted to be in a more established area without new growth. I did not want to buy in a newly subdivided area, build my homestead and have the neighborhood turn into Rancho Rojo Del Necko.

9. Shrek

Shrek Singletree Moderator Staff Member

I grew up in this area and chose to look at property in a "Mayberry setting" with at least 1 acre of yard andwithin 40 minutes of my employment, 10 minutes of my disabled father and financable at 15 years so that the monthy mortgage payment was at least 15% less than what I was paying in rent at the time so as to compensate for the addition of water which was included at the apartment and the added electrical costs associated with a house.

I then evaluated cash producing agronomics and service ventures that I could operate from my home. Profits from my at home income generations provide structural maintenance and investment money to be used for expansions as the opportunities present themselves.

10. deberosa

deberosa SW Virginia Gourd Farmer!

Well, it was where I find most everything - the internet! :haha:

Went out to www.johnlscott.com and started searching. Don't know if they serve your area, but any site facilitating the muliple listing exchange will do. It is updated hourly!

I handed the realtor my short list and when we drove into Deberosa I fell in love with it.

Don't rely on the realtor's searches, they are more limited and you won't get to see every possibility out there.

11. bearkiller

bearkiller Well-Known Member

My bride and I were living on our old place thoroughly disgusted with the dope growing neighbors from hell. After an ugly confrontation with one of them and some discussion about what to look for we drew a 50 mile radius circle on the map and started working quadrants.

One place in particular seemd especially desireable and we checked in with the local realtors...all of them because most do not talk to each other and multilistings can be a joke.

They sent us on many wild goose chases and after one we were headed back to the homestead, but came across a guy stranded on the road, his car broke down. We helped him out as anybody would his neighbor and got to talking.

He told us of a friend just down the road with a place for sale. We went, we looked, we liked, we negotiated, we bought. Great place, good price, minimal gov't hassles in a quite obscure place. We are not the end of the road, but the next door neighbor who is, is absentee and in 18 years I have never seen him here. Nearest neighbors are 1 mile uphill on a different access road and 1 mile downhill on my road. The best part is my road is so steep that it strongly discourges lazy gubbmint bums from visiting...I keep the gate locked! We do have one neighbor who has 40 acres who uses it only for "occassional getaways". The man was over 70 last time I saw him about 7 years ago, so I don't even know if he is still alive. But in his absence we use his private deck and water pool on the creek.

bearkiller

12. Peanut

Peanut Member

www.findyourspot.com
    You fill out a quick survey and it gives you 4 pages of sites that best match your preferences and tells you all about them.

13. Beeman

Beeman Well-Known Member

It didn't take much thought on my part to eliminate the northern half of the country. We locked up the house and drove across the country for a couple of months. We then took trips to the areas that interested us. That said I will admit that we missed by a little. We made the mistake of listening to our hearts instead of our head. After moving less than 100 mi. and to another state we are much happier. You won't know much about any place until YOU have lived there.

14. Cabin Fever

Cabin Fever Life NRA Member since 1976 Supporter

We wanted a place where peole talked normal. So we picked Minnesota.

15. SteveD(TX)

SteveD(TX) Well-Known Member

:haha: :haha: :haha: :D

In looking for our place in the country, my motivation was to have enough land to grow things on, have animals if we wanted them, and yet close enough for our kids and grandkids to visit without having to spend the night. If I wanted to go and move piles of dirt with my tractor, I could do it without hearing any traffic and seeing our neighbors. Close enough to Dallas where I could commute maybe 2 or 3 days a month if I want to continue my business.

The wife wanted a place on the water for a boat, and to fish. Essentially a lake house.

We didn't think this type of place existed, where we could both have what we wanted. But our persistence paid off. What we ended up with: secluded and wooded acreage with frontage on a beautiful 1500 acre lake; 75 mi. from Dallas.

I found the place on the internet. Specifically the Century 21 website. I called a number of realtors in the areas where we were interested. None helped very much. My advice is to determine which areas offer what you need. For instance - close to employment centers (or not), affordable land, the geography you want, etc. Then drive around and find signs for sale, internet sites, etc.

16. punkrockpilot

punkrockpilot Well-Known Member

Well we are in New Orleans right now, and surrounded by a huge mass of people. We went to the Ozarks where I am previosly from for Mardi Gras. We called a realty company I knew in the North Arkansas area and told them we were coming to buy. We asked only to be shown property with year round creeks running thru them. The first land he showed us required driving across the little red river on one of those concrete bridges - it was about 6" under water - too scary. Next he took us to 14 acres with a creek running thru it AND an awesome spring that starts right on the property, we saw deer sign and small mouth bass in the creek. It is taking forever to close the deal - but will be well worth it in the end. I can't wait to fall asleep at night with the sound of a creek outside my window instead of the McDonalds drive thru I now hear.