How did THIS happen!!!!

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by rickd203, Jan 2, 2006.

1. rickd203

rickd203 Well-Known Member

:confused:

I have a rabbit (my favorite) that I keep in the kitchen. This morning I came downstairs to find six little babies on her cage floor. I didn't even know she was pregnant! I will sometimes let her out of the cage for exercise and to let her socialize with my dog and two indoor cats. She likes the cats but the dog is too playful for her. One time, my male rabbit got out of his cage but with all the commotion, I didn't think he could have mated with her. She was born in September so I wasn't planning to breed her until the end of January.

2. ladycat

ladycat Chicken Mafioso Staff Member

Believe me, rabbits are FAST. It only takes half a minute!

3. bob clark

bob clark A man's man

did the babys live?

4. rickd203

They look good so far. They are all nice and pink. I did see her lay next to them and it looked liked they got fed. There was one baby that was born outside the cage. One of my pets carried it up and dropped it into the cat's litter box. I found it because my dog was standing in the litter box (very unusual) in a guard stance. The baby was unharmed so I tried to get it to nurse off the mother. The baby almost made it. It tried to nurse a little but them gave up and died.

5. Goat Freak

Goat Freak Slave To Many Animals

WOW! Sure is weird. Glad to hear that at least all the babies except the one made it. Good Luck with them. Bye.

6. rickd203

:cowboy:

It looks like we are back on track with her litter. She was still in the grow out cage and I don't want to move her. Instead, I put a load of bedding straw in her cage because it looked like she was trying to make a nest out of her feed hay. She went right to work on her nest and finished it by pulling a bunch of fur to line the nest. I picked up the babies and put them into her new nest. When I had them all in their new nest, she went in to give them a good feed. :goodjob:

I think we make a pretty good team!! :rock:

7. nehimama

nehimama An Ozark Engineer Supporter

Well, sounds like things are working out nicely. I'm so glad you found the kits in time, and helped mom with her nest. Good Luck, and please keep us posted on how your "surprise" litter comes along! ;)

NeHi Mama

8. vtfarma

vtfarma Well-Known Member

The little suckers are fast. Our female was out in the house for her free time and an escaping male was only out for about a minute and we were after him the whole time. He was apparently after her the whole time too. She had a litter - beautiful babies.

9. Goat Freak

Goat Freak Slave To Many Animals

Glad to hear that the babies are doing good Rick. i will pray for them, their mother, and for you. Good luck, bye.

10. 2horses

2horses I'm a silly filly!! Supporter

And then we see all the posts from those who try and try to breed their bunnies, to no avail... you should offer to help them out, Rick!! LOL!!

Pam :cool: <------- has a nice doe and buck she wants to breed, at some point.

11. Rachel K.

Rachel K. Well-Known Member

Congratulations on the surprise bunnies!

12. rickd203

It seems like all the animals around here are constantly in heat. One of my does gets so horny that when I put her in the buck's cage, she goes after HIM! I think she's part playboy bunny! Is that an ARBA recognized breed? :happy:

My dog and two cats are fixed and.... well.... you DON'T want to know!

I wonder if I may be giving off vibes or pheremones or something. Whatever it is, it only seems to affect my animals, women are immune. :(

:lonergr: