How did everyone do with kidding so far??

Discussion in 'Goats' started by BiGtImEfArMeRs4, Mar 4, 2005.

1. BiGtImEfArMeRs4

BiGtImEfArMeRs4 Well-Known Member

How is everyone doing so far with kidding?
    On Tuesday, we had a boer kid with three kids, two bucks, and one doe! This was her second time. Today, we had a lamancha kid with three kids, two bucks and one doe! This is her first time having. On February 16, we had a Saanen kid with one buck. It was her second time. Unfortantly, it died premature. On Tuesday, we had another boer goat in labor who we had to put down because all of her intestines came out, before she even kidded. No vets are real close so she had no chance and was suffering too bad. So we lost her and her kids. Four more girls to go!! :)
    How is everyone else doing?
    Lori

2. Eunice

Eunice Well-Known Member

We had twins from a yearling Saanen on Feb. 8 - doe and buck. Yesterday we had Alpine triplets - 2 does and 1 buck. The buck is huge. One of the does is tiny, but all are doing well. We are expecting the twin to the triplets' mom to kid tonight or tomorrow. She is exceedingly stupid/not a good mom so we have to be there. The kids that are coming are Alpine X Saanen.

3. Hank - Narita

Hank - Narita Well-Known Member

Our Alpine buck bred our neighbor's boar doe and she had twins yesterday. Our Alpine doe is due as early as tomorrow but probably on Wednesday. The other 2 are due in May. Sure hope our Pippy has only twins; we need the milk for a bummer lamb we got 2 weeks ago.

4. Freeholder

Freeholder Well-Known Member

My Kinder doe isn't due until around the end of April. The new doe we just got, half Oberhasli and half Boer, is due sometime this month, probably around the end of the month. They are both getting large, and uncomfortable. I wouldn't mind twins or triplets, but hope we don't have a litter out of the Kinder doe (they are known for that)!

Kathleen

5. shorty'smom

shorty'smom Well-Known Member

I sort of lost count of my totals, but I'll try. It would take a book to recount all the breeds. I have a boer buck and some Saanen, Nubian and boer does, and one alpine. I have ended up with 32 kids so far and have lost 9 of those. Most of them was pneumonia. One got under the fence and got hit by a car. One disappeared from the pen in the night. We had one heat lamp break due to a drip from the roof and we lost a kid when the temperature sharply dropped with no heat before morning. 2 were born really weak and one was born 3 weeks early (very small) and none survived to spite our best efforts. We've had 3 does that had no milk and 4 does who rejected their kids.

I don't want to go on loosing so many kids. It doesn't seem right to me.

6. debitaber

debitaber Well-Known Member

We have had 3 buclklings and 2 does so far, with several yet to kid. we ar hopeing the rest will be does. but will have to wait and see. :waa: :rolleyes:

7. debitaber

debitaber Well-Known Member

Linds,
    are you giving the does, a shot of BO SE, before breeding, and another shot 3 weeks before kidding? this will help in stopping weak babys being born.
    also give alfalfa hay. mine get only thrid cuttig. and goat chow, and goat minerals, and baking soda, and vitb complex shots. I give BOse every 50 days, and a vit. b complex shot once a month.
    It has really made a difference, in all of the goats, that I have. whenm you give vit. b complex, you don't have to worry, they pee out the extra.

8. shorty'smom

I have tried to find Bo Se, but nobody here has ever heard of it. I order things from Caprine Supply, but they don't have it either. They have listed a Selenium mineral that I can't find on the web site to order. They have a selenium gel. It looks pretty expensive. I asked the guy at the feed store what farmers do about Selenium and he said it is in the mineral blocks everybody buys for the cattle. We buy the same block and the goats lickit all the time. I think they like it better then their loose mineral. I have out Soda, but nobody is eating it, that I can tell.

9. shorty'smom

The first 2 babies that were so weak may not have been born that way. I don't really know. They were weak by the time I got to them, and never got better. I had to be gone and Dh was on duty and he didn't watch very close and didn't know what to do. The mother didn't have milk. The 3rd kid was able to stand the first day, but she wasn't even tall enough to reach her mother's teat. I tried to bottle feed her, and she balked at the nipple. I kept her in the house and tubed her and she lasted a little while. But she still just slipped away little by little. The pneumonia hit us hard this year and terramycin didn't help it. We treated everybody in the herd with Excenel , twice, before we got a handle on it. I'm still watching for runny noses and hunched kids. Our weather has been mostly chilly, with a few warm days and freezing nights, along with rain, rain and rain. We're awash in a sea of mud.

10. dosthouhavemilk

dosthouhavemilk Well-Known Member Supporter

We started kidding on December 29,2004. One set of twin bucks and a set of triplet bucks. On January fourth a single breech buck. On January 7th, a set of twin bucks (seeing a pattern, yet? lol) and finally thast afternoon a set of twin does. Since then we had a yearling doe kid on Feb. 1st a week or more early with twins (buck and a doe) and both were dead.
    Have not had anything since then but am waiting anxiously. 150 days since I put the bucks in for breeding is March 12th. We have one doe due March 21, one probably due March 21-22 and one definitely due April 24th (she is the last one for the year and was bought bred). Seven more due in all.

We didn't want kids before March but the bucks and does didn't really listen to my wants. :rolleyes: :haha:

11. mary,tx

mary,tx Well-Known Member Supporter

We have just four, Nubian does. Two kidded in December, with a total of 3 bucks, 2 does. The other two kidded February, giving us 3 more bucks and only 1 doe. Not good odds this time.

I was pleased to hear that a doe I sold as a yearling last year delivered 4 speckled does this week. :)

12. Eunice

Eunice Well-Known Member

We are done kidding on our three does as of this afternoon. Carmel (Alpine) had one buck kid by a Saanen. That gives us a season total of three doe kids and three buck kids. Now I need to phone the local sheep man and see when lambing starts. I can get bummer lambs for free by just showing up at the right time.

13. Sarah J

Sarah J Well-Known Member

My does are due in April and May. But my Mother-in-law has a Boer buck and Nubian does...all the kids look JUST like Dad and she has 15 total kids out of 6 does...with only three are bucks! I'd say she's doing great! Hoping for even better out of my milkers (fingers crossed for no bucks and triplets does out of all four of them!). :haha:

Sarah

14. backwoods

backwoods Well-Known Member

Middle TN, Where the Hilltops Kiss the Sky
    We bred our 2 Alpine does to a Sannen buck. The first one kidded last week with all white triplets, 2 bucks and 1 doe. They are doing well.
    The other Alpine is due later this month. The Nubian was bred to a Nubian buck and she's due in April.

15. Rosarybeads

Rosarybeads Well-Known Member

We've been extremely blessed this year. We had three of our four does give birth, the other one won't be due until the summer at least. So our Alpine had two girls, but she doesn't have enough milk so I am supplementing. Then we had one decent milker (for her babies, plenty) had one boy and one girl, and this saturday our last doe, Georgia (nubian), had 3 girls!!!!! I am so happy!! :p :p :p She is an absolutely great milker, those babies are so fat and full that all they do is lay around and sleep and eat. ;) I think I am going to have to milk her in addition to the babies! :) We have two sheep due in the next month too, so they can learn from their "buddies" that were born this month, how to go up and down our slide. :)

16. cntrymomof4

cntrymomof4 Member

At least Im not the only one having crazy troubles this year on here! I have noted alot of people making coments about does not going into milk after kidding, its so strange! We have had 4 does kid so far. Our Pygmy was our worst nightmare, she was HUGE and it never fails, he had them inbetween our checking on her, in the early morning hours when it was super cold. She had quads! We lost the first 2 because the third was hung up and so she wasnt paying any attention to them and thet froze to death :0( The third I had to go in and get, and the forth followed. Two bucklings there, of course (I didnt even want to know what the 2 we lost were...probably does!) After all of that, she must have re absorbed her milk, cause she did have an udder going weeks in advance, but no milk for the kids after kidding! Then we had a Kinder that had twins, but 2 days after kidding she either started holding up for some odd reason or something. I cant get a drop out of her, the kids act like they get very little, so we're supplimenting them with bottles, one doe and one buck there. Then our Alpine had a super big doeling, she's a good momma. And our %Boer yearling had a nice doeling too, she is also being a good momma. This is the most trouble we have had in a kidding season so far. I have 4 more does to go, 3 due in mid to late March, one due in mid May. Im praying the bad stuff is done with now!