how come some posters have photos again???

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by BamaSuzy, Apr 5, 2005.

1. BamaSuzy

BamaSuzy Well-Known Member

How come some posters here have photos again under their ID's????

Our photos were all taken off several months ago, something about it slowing the web site too much or taking up too much space or something.

Has that changed or what????

2. BamaSuzy

Oh, and if I didn't make myself clear, I'm talking about the little photos under our ID's when we post a question or thought....not photos that are in the actual body of our messages..

3. bare

bare Head Muderator

We get 'em 'cause WE'RE special!

NenerNenerNener!

4. SpiritoftheWind

SpiritoftheWind Member

That's weird, I've never been to a forum that doesn't have avatars, and I belong to about 10 of them. With such a small picture, I don't see how it could be a problem. Maybe for people with dial-up? Maybe they have a small allowance on thier server.

I just went in and plopped mine on. I didn't even think about it. Did I commit a faux pas? :waa:

5. rambler

rambler Well-Known Member Supporter

What _really_ slows this site down for me is waiting for all those smilie faces to load in off to the left each & every time. Can take 30 seconds per message for that junk to load in. Makes me not visit this type of message board too often - way too slow a software.

Dialup is all that is available for me, you can get faster?

I am a simple person, I just don't see any point to the pictures - all they do is slow things down (not as bad as those smilies tho!!!!). I like message content, not flash. If I want to see pics, I can read a comic book or go to a gallery.

That's just me tho, I'm only expressing my opinion, not complaining, whining, or asking you to change. Just how I feel. :) To each there own. Me, I see no value whatsoever in the pics.

--->Paul

6. HermitJohn

HermitJohn Well-Known Member

Anybody can disable avatars, pics, and signatures by clicking on cp button at top of page then go into options and untick the boxes. Alas no way to disable smilies in cp options.

As to the "clickable smilies" box at left when posting, you can set your own browser to not download images and this will eliminate the smilies. Opera browser and Firefox browser (with optional extension) have button on toolbar to toggle images on/off. I use linux so IE not available to me, but think IE may bury this option couple levels down. When you turn off images in browser this means all images.

7. SpiritoftheWind

SpiritoftheWind Member

Yes, I'm lucky enough to have a cable connection. 384k.

Well, 'lucky' is subjective, I suppose. I have to pay out the wazoo for it. But I normally use my internet for business during the day so I need a fast connection.

8. ltbloom

ltbloom Well-Known Member

9. BamaSuzy

I am on a cable modem. I used to have a photo of one of my Angora rabbits under my name, but they removed them ALL (they being the webmasters) a while ago....

10. southerngurl

southerngurl le person Supporter

Chuck recently reinstated them.

I have DSL (its through the phoneline).

11. Countrygrl3

Countrygrl3 Well-Known Member

We're just dial-up, but we have no speed problems.
    Rambler, Have you checked to make sure that you aren't "infested" with spyware?
    It makes everything slooooooo.

12. dla

dla Well-Known Member

I think the pics help because many names are similar - countrygrl3,cntrygirl3, etc.

13. Sparticle

Sparticle Well-Known Member Supporter

I have dial up and have no problem with anything loading, weird. I've seen several posts with people commenting on it, guess I'm just lucky.

14. Oilpatch197

Oilpatch197 Well-Known Member

on other boards you can Disable "veiwing" avatars in your profile.

but I doubt this site has that.

15. OldYellersGhost

OldYellersGhost Well-Known Member

Yeah, but we can't make hide nor a yeller dogs tale out of what bare's pic is supposed to be..

(I think it's a tipped chair with a gum stain under the seat. How about you?)

16. Sparticle

Sparticle Well-Known Member Supporter

I thought it was a de-feathered chicken doing a little dance?

17. EasyDay

EasyDay Gimme a YAAAAY!

:haha: :haha:
    I, too, was wondering... but now that you mention it, I believe YOU are RIGHT!

18. OD

OD Well-Known Member

I'd tell y'all what it is, but they would probably ban me.....or maybe I'm just thinking dirty thoughts today.

19. rambler

rambler Well-Known Member Supporter

Just got rid of 650 from a relative's computer - yup, my machine is relatively free of all such.

Different ISPs can handle things differently, esp at different times of the day.

Lot of us out in the rural areas are limited to just one ISP from the one phone co, and they have little incentive to improve things with such a monopoly.

There are times that pannel to the left loads quickly, and there are other times I just disconnect & do something else, can't wait for all those faces to load. Depends on the time of day & such.

--->Paul

20. BCR

BCR Well-Known Member

I thought that picture of bare's was of a person with their head in their hands...sort of.