How cold is too cold?

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by ksfarmer, Apr 3, 2018.

1. Terri

Terri Singletree & Weight Loss & Permaculture Moderator Staff Member Supporter

Weather has been odd this year. I only planted a little of my garden and I keep covering the seedlings with leaves. The rest of the plants I keep on the back deck and I have to take them inside once a week to protect them from hard freezes.

I keep thinking the cold weather is going to be over but it just keeps freezing. A while back I sprouted some sweet potatos for slips and the slips are ready to plant out, but there is still snow on the ground. Most year the frosts would be over a couple of weeks ago.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2018 at 10:01 PM
  2. Danaus29

Danaus29 Well-Known Member Supporter

Last year this time I had the citrus trees out of the shed for the season and was moving the tropicals in and out. Now it is snowing and I may have to move the citrus back inside tomorrow. I want to plant spinach out but it's too cold to work outside.
    ksfarmer, sorry to hear about your frozen little plants. I was going to start broccoli a month ago but it was still way too cold then. I may be too late this year but the seeds are a few years old and need to be either planted or thrown away.