Homesteading Forum banner

41 - 60 of 65 Posts

·
Super Moderator
9,379 Posts
i dont quite fit adults normal sizes. and kids sizes are far to small for me. my body is kinda weird. you know in school where they would make a girl put her arms to her side to see if her skirt was longer then her finger tips ? well lets just say my torso is longer then average, my finger tips meet right at crotch level. if i had worn a skirt that short you would have seen EVERYTHING but technically i would still be in "dress code" length.. IF that makes sense. lol my mom who is the same height as me , sits a little shorter then me , since her height is proportionate. ... i have a wiener-dog body.. lol !!!

Monday after payday ill have to buy some gloves and better boots and wool socks if i can find them! tomorrow suppose to be 45 as a high, im so excited! i got rabbit poop to transfer to the compost pile. 30 and sunny i can handle .. 45 is great ! as long as the wind isnt too strong that is. anything colder then that, i struggle. my coat has snap buttons rather then a zipper , and its missing 2 important buttons at the top. so im always getting chilled even with a hoodie under it. or when im doing something and i put too much tension on the front and all my buttons undo .. BRRR..
with irregular proportions look at making your layers overlap more

you don't need fancy stuff to stay warm. only the bottom layer should be form fitting skinny jeans not that you wear them = no dead air space , you don't want a breeze up the leg either but that is easily remedied.

sweaters are often over looked a sweater that will create good air gap as long as it has a shell to keep the wind from blowing through can make a good layer

there was a reason thick wool sweaters were a common layer in several Scandinavian cultures the nice part is they stay flexible , some of the "winter " coats are stiff

that base layer also really helps , fleece pajamas actually work fairly well often pajama tops are longer also so that it covers the mid section better

a base layer of poly long underwear or fleece pajamas if your legs are what get cold the 2 pair of bottoms.

over your layer of long under ware or pajamas a sweater often womens sweaters will go down well below the waist if you find the right ones then an oversize hooded sweathshirt over that if needed a mens tall size

while rubber boots are not really good for extremes cold because they hold the perspirations in freeze thaw and barn yard tasks on the cheap a size up from what you wear with 2 pair of wool socks works well for chores. get them dry each night.
I like the fox river boot socks Wick Dry Outlander Heavyweight Mid-Calf Boot - 3 Pack these are what I wear most of the year.

Kamik's are a decently price durable insulated boot also

by the way under armor type garbage doesn't count as a sweatshirt it needs some fluff to it to make the dead air space , the paper thin sweatshirts made entirely of oil are not warm.
too many layers can make it hard to move your arms a vest as layer can keep your arms moving better

·
Premium Member
24,804 Posts
i dont quite fit adults normal sizes. and kids sizes are far to small for me. my body is kinda weird. you know in school where they would make a girl put her arms to her side to see if her skirt was longer then her finger tips ? well lets just say my torso is longer then average, my finger tips meet right at crotch level. if i had worn a skirt that short you would have seen EVERYTHING but technically i would still be in "dress code" length.. IF that makes sense. lol my mom who is the same height as me , sits a little shorter then me , since her height is proportionate. ... i have a wiener-dog body.. lol !!!
I knew a girl like that in elementary school, but our skirts were measured from the knee, no less than 2 inches above the knee. I have the opposite problem, Neanderthal arms, my fingertips are only 6 inches above my knees. Grandma made my dresses, she always had to make the skirts longer.

The clothing manufacturers make pants sized by waist and inseam. Why can't they do that for women's clothing? It would be so much nicer for us weird size ladies.

Your coat, have you heard of frog fasteners?
They are easy to sew on to coats. Grandma used those on my coats when I wore out zippers or popped buttons.

You would have hated me today. My insulated hoodie was too warm but I used it only to keep my hair out of the rabbit poop. It was a pretty day though wasn't it?

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
I knew a girl like that in elementary school, but our skirts were measured from the knee, no less than 2 inches above the knee. I have the opposite problem, Neanderthal arms, my fingertips are only 6 inches above my knees. Grandma made my dresses, she always had to make the skirts longer.

The clothing manufacturers make pants sized by waist and inseam. Why can't they do that for women's clothing? It would be so much nicer for us weird size ladies.

Your coat, have you heard of frog fasteners?
They are easy to sew on to coats. Grandma used those on my coats when I wore out zippers or popped buttons.

You would have hated me today. My insulated hoodie was too warm but I used it only to keep my hair out of the rabbit poop. It was a pretty day though wasn't it?
it would be really nice to have more laid out clothing for women for sure ... mens pants are ok to wear , but their are just a few flaws when it comes to them.. lol and i find womans pants .. pockets.... pockets are either tiny , or not there at all .. i had a pair of womans sweat pants on today and without thinking, i put a few eggs that i collected in the pocket.... they didnt make it to the house in tact. i bent down to give one of the goats a pat , and and then i had egg running down my leg .. ugh.... lol !!! normally eggs in my pocket are fine.

ill have to get a few of those frog fasteners! i never heard of them ! thank you !

today was AMAZING. i had to clean poop from under the rabbits as well today. i had let it go for longer then i like to. i started out with my coat, gloves and hair down. and 10 minutes in had coat off , gloves off , and hair clipped up in a bun. i still somehow ended up with rabbit poop in my hair .. lol and i have this thing i like to do, every time i use up a whole square hay bale for the animals, i clean up my back porch (where my hay is located) as it gets EVERYWHERE... so i got that done today as well! perfect weather! . 40s i can do pretty easy. i use to be one of those kids who was outside in shorts , a teeshirt and barefoot in the snow and was perfectly fine... i want that back ...ive gotten soft.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
with irregular proportions look at making your layers overlap more

you don't need fancy stuff to stay warm. only the bottom layer should be form fitting skinny jeans not that you wear them = no dead air space , you don't want a breeze up the leg either but that is easily remedied.

sweaters are often over looked a sweater that will create good air gap as long as it has a shell to keep the wind from blowing through can make a good layer

there was a reason thick wool sweaters were a common layer in several Scandinavian cultures the nice part is they stay flexible , some of the "winter " coats are stiff

that base layer also really helps , fleece pajamas actually work fairly well often pajama tops are longer also so that it covers the mid section better

a base layer of poly long underwear or fleece pajamas if your legs are what get cold the 2 pair of bottoms.

over your layer of long under ware or pajamas a sweater often womens sweaters will go down well below the waist if you find the right ones then an oversize hooded sweathshirt over that if needed a mens tall size

while rubber boots are not really good for extremes cold because they hold the perspirations in freeze thaw and barn yard tasks on the cheap a size up from what you wear with 2 pair of wool socks works well for chores. get them dry each night.
I like the fox river boot socks Wick Dry Outlander Heavyweight Mid-Calf Boot - 3 Pack these are what I wear most of the year.

Kamik's are a decently price durable insulated boot also

by the way under armor type garbage doesn't count as a sweatshirt it needs some fluff to it to make the dead air space , the paper thin sweatshirts made entirely of oil are not warm.
too many layers can make it hard to move your arms a vest as layer can keep your arms moving better

currently doing layers , but trying to go easy on them so i can move... lol, i dont wanna be stuck on my back if the goat decides to hop up on me bringing her hay. though it may be interesting to see for my neighbors. does not sound fun ! lol

its mostly my face/neck hands and feet that get cold. my coat is on its last leg, and im not looking forward to trying to find a replacement. since it works very well. pair of leggings and sweat pants seem to do the trick for legs... a little chilly still when i come in, but not frozen like my hands or feet.

i had bought my mom some wool socks for christmas since she always says her feet are cold., she loves them , and now i regret not buying myself a few pairs ... i got them at target, and the closest target to me is just a little more then an hour away.... i will look into those boots though ! they look like they would be nice and warm !

i need to find a few sweaters. the only long sleeved shirts i have are just the cheap thin walmart brand ones. i wear them under my work shirt. their a little short on my torso , but most things are! lol i got a little shopping list going on now , boots, socks , gloves, actual sweaters, ski mask . the list seems to get longer and longer. i hate clothes shopping ...

·
Premium Member
24,804 Posts
Jan 13, 2021, for a few more seconds

Clothes shopping is just depressing. I have to shop the men's section because my shoulders are broad, my legs too long and my biceps make teenage boys jealous. Men's coats and hoodies are more durable and warmer than the belly button exposure crap in the women's department.

If you can find some of those fuzzy, fluffy socks they do a pretty good job of keeping feet warm. If you slip them on over cotton socks they work very well. I started wearing those before my hip surgery because they were so easy to put on and kept my feet warmer than plain cotton socks. Tight socks cut off the circulation and make your feet cold.

I've got only 3 rabbits now and buy bagged hay. But that stuff still gets everywhere. I swept half a bucket full from under the cages today.

·
Premium Member
1,289 Posts
It hasn't been cold enough this year but my real cold weather clothes are long underwear, lined pants, good flannel shirt, warm socks, pack boots with toe warmers, regular watch cap with balaclava over that, a couple of pair of good gloves in case one pair gets wet and a ski mask to cover the area left open around the eyes by the balaclava. Dressed like that , I can go outside and sit in the snow for hours if I want. That said, it hasn't been that cold and I'm more limited by the dry air messing up my lungs these days.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #47

Clothes shopping is just depressing. I have to shop the men's section because my shoulders are broad, my legs too long and my biceps make teenage boys jealous. Men's coats and hoodies are more durable and warmer than the belly button exposure crap in the women's department.

If you can find some of those fuzzy, fluffy socks they do a pretty good job of keeping feet warm. If you slip them on over cotton socks they work very well. I started wearing those before my hip surgery because they were so easy to put on and kept my feet warmer than plain cotton socks. Tight socks cut off the circulation and make your feet cold.

I've got only 3 rabbits now and buy bagged hay. But that stuff still gets everywhere. I swept half a bucket full from under the cages today.

i love those fuzzy socks ! those are my go to socks at the moment ! lol

i currently have 21 rabbits... my breeders need replaced.... i just got them but their babies grow sooooo sloooow .. the person i bought them off of , said their offspring will be to butcher weight by 10 weeks at the latest... as thats when she does it ... but im past that , and they are still tiny.. might be the cold weather and lack of sun. they sure breed well , giving decent litter sizes , but just ... sloooooow grow out.. so i been researching rabbits again. i do have a flemish giant ,shes hasnt been bred yet. been waiting for her to grow herself a bit more. i mean shes already bigger then the others BUT seeing that she can grow to be the size of a corgi.. im totally going to have to upgrade her cage... lol 3 adult males 3 adult females , and 7 grow outs, and 8 in cage with mama still. none currently bred. till i figure out what exactly im doing.

·
Super Moderator
9,379 Posts

cloths shopping is depressing. beyond depressing into infuriating.
I actually get shopping rage , I manage keep peaceful but the frustration is beyond annoying .

I am sure I am a Perfectly well proportioned Neanderthal or something like that

looking at sizing charts I am
a 5x neck
a 3x chest
a 1x waist
i have no butt to hold pants up
5x in the arms
when i buy a button down shirt it ends up being a 4XLT and I have plenty extra fabric around the waist just not to tuck in for length.

and all shoes are made for little people , I don't think the 15-16 that I need is all that big. but I have to go to a specialty store to get anything to fit.

every store seems to stop stocking anything just before my size , if they have much for 3-4X stuff it is often very poorly proportioned Dickies clothing just forget about it it all seems to be made for 5 foot people who are as wide with stubby little arms , or for slender small people. ok maybe it could be me not fitting the mold.

at a Rendezvous there was a lady who makes period clothing , she took my measurements and I had a pair of drop front britches made , best fitting pair of pants I think I have ever worn.
the fabric she used is basically the same type of canvas that carhart uses the price was 70 dollars which is about what carharts are I am tempted to have her make me a second pair and a few shirts

·
Super Moderator
9,379 Posts
currently doing layers , but trying to go easy on them so i can move... lol, i dont wanna be stuck on my back if the goat decides to hop up on me bringing her hay. though it may be interesting to see for my neighbors. does not sound fun ! lol

i had bought my mom some wool socks for christmas since she always says her feet are cold., she loves them , and now i regret not buying myself a few pairs ... i got them at target, and the closest target to me is just a little more then an hour away.... i will look into those boots though ! they look like they would be nice and warm !

i need to find a few sweaters. the only long sleeved shirts i have are just the cheap thin walmart brand ones. i wear them under my work shirt. their a little short on my torso , but most things are! lol i got a little shopping list going on now , boots, socks , gloves, actual sweaters, ski mask . the list seems to get longer and longer. i hate clothes shopping ...
my daughter has found some nice sweaters at good will , often mens sweaters although I am not sure what man wears those sweaters probably why they were like new.

if you are having trouble moving like the kid from a Christmas story

your layers are too tight try for less arm & shoulder bulk a vest might be the thing for a layer around your core but without arm bulk.

·
Premium Member
24,804 Posts
posted Jan. 14, 2021

cloths shopping is depressing. beyond depressing into infuriating.
I actually get shopping rage , I manage keep peaceful but the frustration is beyond annoying .
Yeh, people tend to stare and make judgy faces when you break down into a screaming crying fit when you have wasted a whole day and are at the 6th clothing store and you still can't find anything that fits. Not that I would ever admit to having done something like that. I'm pretty sure that security video is long gone.

Good seamstresses are hard to find and getting harder. The younger generations don't want to learn and the ones that know how to make fitting clothes are getting older and less capable of doing the work.

·
Registered
Chickens, orchard, bees, goats
14 Posts
I live in SE Texas, so the coldest I've ever seen the thermometer has been 22F. I do love it when it's cold, except for one thing - my hands. I have spent boucous of money on all kinds of gloves, but as soon as we get into the 30's, my fingers freeze so bad, I can barely close them. I've had to come in from chores several times just to warm my fingers so I can finish the job. What kind of gloves really work in super cold weather?

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
I do love it when it's cold, except for one thing - my hands. I have spent boucous of money on all kinds of gloves, but as soon as we get into the 30's, my fingers freeze so bad, I can barely close them. I've had to come in from chores several times just to warm my fingers so I can finish the job. What kind of gloves really work in super cold weather?
If the rest of you is warm, you shouldn't have any problem with your hands in the 30's, unless you have poor circulation. Try adding another layer, or a heavier coat.

·
Premium Member
24,804 Posts
I live in SE Texas, so the coldest I've ever seen the thermometer has been 22F. I do love it when it's cold, except for one thing - my hands. I have spent boucous of money on all kinds of gloves, but as soon as we get into the 30's, my fingers freeze so bad, I can barely close them. I've had to come in from chores several times just to warm my fingers so I can finish the job. What kind of gloves really work in super cold weather?
I don't even think about using gloves until the temp gets below 30, and then mostly to drive since the steering wheel takes so long to warm up. But the best gloves for the job for me are cheap knit gloves sold at Walmart in a 2 pack in the ladies accessory section. If you are doing something where your hands will be getting wet just put on a pair of thin nitrile gloves first then the knit ones over those. The gloves don't hold up to a lot of wear like loading wood but they are good enough for feeding critters or dumping compost bins.

I don't spend a lot of money on gloves, I loose them quite often. I'm still searching for my last pair of leather tape and ball gloves that hold up against black raspberry thorns. It's possible they are still in the berry patch.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Hand warmers for your pockets.

·
Registered
14 Posts
If the rest of you is warm, you shouldn't have any problem with your hands in the 30's, unless you have poor circulation. Try adding another layer, or a heavier coat.
Yeah, no. Not for me. My hands get cold even in the office in the middle of summer and I can barely type on the computer. Winter weather is even worse. My body rejoices in 30 and below temps, but my hands are frozen nubs at 40F.

·
Premium Member
24,804 Posts
Yeah, no. Not for me. My hands get cold even in the office in the middle of summer and I can barely type on the computer. Winter weather is even worse. My body rejoices in 30 and below temps, but my hands are frozen nubs at 40F.
Have you tried those fingerless gloves for office work? I knew a woman who had poor circulation and she swore by fingerless gloves.
When the nerves in hubby's neck get pinched a bit his hands get cold easily. He goes to a chiropractor to help release pinched nerves.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Have you tried those fingerless gloves for office work? I knew a woman who had poor circulation and she swore by fingerless gloves.
When the nerves in hubby's neck get pinched a bit his hands get cold easily. He goes to a chiropractor to help release pinched nerves.
I haven't yet, but I will look into them. Mostly, I'm looking for something that will help on the farm, though.

·
Registered
391 Posts
OK.... Admittedly... As I get older I do have trouble keeping my hands warm....
The best chore gloves I have found are US military surplus, green mittens, with the green wool mitten trigger finger liner, with a Hot Hands chemical heat pack in the palm..
These work well on the farm.. Yes... When you do take a break.. Hot liquids help ever so much..

·
Premium Member
24,804 Posts
The cloth with nitrile palm gloves hold up pretty good for most chores but they don't keep hands warm and are too big for my hands. I haven't tried wearing knit gloves with the nitrile palm gloves over them. I might if it gets double glove cold this winter.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
As a kid, I read how Indians in the Andes go barefoot even in the snow-- We've gotten soft. We can acclimate ourselves. I don't wear gloves for 30 min of chores in the AM unless it's well below zero or if I'll be out there for longer.

In regards buying clothes in general-- I just wear t-shirts & bib overalls. If you need to use your clothes to impress people, you're deficient in some important personal attributes....and those who are impressed are even more deficient.

41 - 60 of 65 Posts