Homesteading Forum banner

21 - 40 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
There's no such thing as bad weather...just the wrong clothes.

Dressing for cold depends on what you'll be doing and how long you'll be doing it. For heavy work (shoveling snow, chopping wood,etc).--take you coat off. I've played football at 5degF in short sleeves-- when you're working, you stay warm, and sweating under heavy clothing will make you freeze when you stop. STAY DRY! Put the coat back on when you're finished.

Layers of "cheap" clothes are much, much better than one "expensive brand" coat. (BTW- I've been given Carhartt coats twice as gifts-- same problem with poor wear on cuffs & edges. on both. I'd never waste money buying one. For the price, you could get 5 new coats at K-Mart that will keep you just as warm and always looking like you've got new clothes on. Keep your head & neck warm.

Wear long underwear. Hoods are better than scarves. Mittens are better than gloves . Two thinner socks better than one thick one. Don't let hands or feet sweat if you can help it.

When it's -30deg at 6AM and I'm out doing chores, I think back to last July when I was cursing the 95deg heat wave. In july, I think back to Jan when I was cursing the cold....Somehow it makes me feel more comfortable.

·
Premium Member
24,804 Posts
Carharts are great, if you fit one of the limited sizes they make.

Poopertrooper, have you tried the kids section? Look for snow pants. Otherwise just layer up, long johns, jeans, larger sweat pants. For years my "snow pants" were a pair of sweats over jeans or a pair of long johns over jeans. Gloves, Walmart has those cheap knit gloves in the women's accessories. Wear a pair of nitrile gloves and use those knit gloves over the nitrile. Kept my hands warm and toasty even dumping duck water buckets. I own a coat, I think. I have no idea what it looks like but I'm pretty sure it's in the coat closet along with my insulated bib overalls. Mostly I wear a couple zip up hoodies, if it's real cold I add a third. If it's below freezing I might zip the one on bottom. Waterproof footwear, check out the rubber boots at Walmart. Any other place is more expensive and made overseas anyway. And yes, thrift stores are your most economical place to shop.

doc-, Kmart? Do you really still have a Kmart? They closed the last one in Ohio a couple years ago. I used to buy shoes there all the time.

·
Registered
21,122 Posts
Our average winter high is mid 30's and low in low 20's but we always get a few days in the mid or upper 40's and lows at or below zero. Short sleeve shirt and a Carhart hoodie with running shoes for me unless we have snow or it gets in the low teens. Then I wear Redwing boots and my heavier Carhart hoodie. Never liked heavy clothing making me feel like I was in a bundle and my 27 years of carrying a rural mail route required reaching across the truck to put mail in boxes and that is hard with a lot of clothing. Plus, driving 74 miles a day with the passenger window down acclimates you to the cold.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I wear my cuddle duds long underwear or yoga pants as a base layer under everything! I found a generic equivalent of Muck boots at TSC that have held up for years. My secret is those hot hands warmers. I put one in my pocket when I have to break ice in water troughs or stay outside for a while. it gets colder than you would think here!

·
Registered
365 Posts
I don’t cheap out on footwear though. I battled plantar fasciitis years ago from cheap shoes,no thanks.
My usual footwear is my steel toes boots. But if I’m not at work and it’s below zero or a lot of snow I wear a tall winter hiking boot. Actually I did cheap out kind of. I found a pair on EBay in my size that a guy wore once. On Cabellas website they were $180. I paid like $35 plus shipping. If it’s crazy cold or I’m going to be standing still, like at a football game or goose hunting for example , I have a pair of ice fishing/Pac boots. They are actually too warm to wear while working outside.
I agree about Carharts though. They cuffs always fray on mine, BUT mine all get worn for years on end. I actually have one that I bought in my 20’s, but it doesn’t fit me anymore. :) not to mention it hangs in the garage as it’s black from grease and transmission fluid. Wifey won’t allow it in the house.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Umm... Yea.... Tell me about your winters...
Our winter so far has been mild.. compared to usual .....
We only have about a meter of snow on the ground so far.. It actually has me a bit worried that we will get dumped on with significant snow some time the next 2 months.. Possibly repeatedly...
Doesn't matter... We are capable of going a long time without town..

Reactions: doc- and Danaus29

·
Premium Member
24,804 Posts
Umm... Yea.... Tell me about your winters...
Our winter so far has been mild.. compared to usual .....
We only have about a meter of snow on the ground so far.. It actually has me a bit worried that we will get dumped on with significant snow some time the next 2 months.. Possibly repeatedly...
Doesn't matter... We are capable of going a long time without town..
Sounds like something an Ohio resident would say to a Texan. LOL

·
Super Moderator
9,379 Posts
Layers , layers , layers

I can stay fairly comfortable to 0 or so with out much trouble.

base layer of thermal underware Work n' Sport Men's 3.0 Expedition Weight Poly Fleece Bottoms - XBL9391-225-2X | Blain's Farm & Fleet
the top also right against the skin Work n' Sport Men's 3.0 ECWS Poly Fleece Crew - XBL9389-225-2X | Blain's Farm & Fleet
t-shirt
a hooded sweat shirt over that
if I need to go colder add another layer

went hunting at 20 the other day light breeze
base layer , thick wool sweater and cotton bdu shirt over that then my orange vest , wearing overalls helps also
alwasy wool socks
I got very hot just walking had to take my sweater off after a while

leather gloves buy them large with wool GI glove liners Wool Glove Liners

the poly base layer dries out quickly when you sweat it up.

wind is a killer , wet is bad

try and keep so that your warm but not sweating

Knit wool hat , take it off if your feeling warm when you cool down put it back on layers off and on as needed

I have though about making a blanket shirt also this is a wool blanket sewn up as a pull over shirt that extends below the waist to about mid thigh.

even with normal day time temp of about 20 for about 3 months it is only really cold here a couple weeks a year

I have been playing with the idea of a canvas over layer to block the wind. but I am not sure how often I would use it.

I have snow pants and coats but hardly use them unless really cold or I am sitting still a while. I leave my snow pants in the truck with a spare coat encase I get stuck and have to wait out the weather.

·
Registered
829 Posts
The coldest I have ever been is was walking out of work after a night shift and it was -38. That was extreme but here in eastern Colorado we see plenty of below zero days during winters, especially with bad wind chill. I use a layer of leggings with sweat pants on top. Warm socks and insulated boots. And several layers on the top (tank top, t-shirt, sweatshirt). Gloves and a hat or hood. A cheap walmart coat tops it off. I have cheap stuff because it gets gross and ripped, etc. I seem to do ok this way. My husband has the insulated carhart overalls and likes that for extreme cold, couples with layers, boots, gloves, and his carhart coat. When the weather is extreme it's also good to break up your outdoor chores into several shorter sessions and come it to warm up in between. And don't forget to have some warm coffee or tea available.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Carharts are great, if you fit one of the limited sizes they make.

Poopertrooper, have you tried the kids section? Look for snow pants. Otherwise just layer up, long johns, jeans, larger sweat pants. For years my "snow pants" were a pair of sweats over jeans or a pair of long johns over jeans. Gloves, Walmart has those cheap knit gloves in the women's accessories. Wear a pair of nitrile gloves and use those knit gloves over the nitrile. Kept my hands warm and toasty even dumping duck water buckets. I own a coat, I think. I have no idea what it looks like but I'm pretty sure it's in the coat closet along with my insulated bib overalls. Mostly I wear a couple zip up hoodies, if it's real cold I add a third. If it's below freezing I might zip the one on bottom. Waterproof footwear, check out the rubber boots at Walmart. Any other place is more expensive and made overseas anyway. And yes, thrift stores are your most economical place to shop.

i dont quite fit adults normal sizes. and kids sizes are far to small for me. my body is kinda weird. you know in school where they would make a girl put her arms to her side to see if her skirt was longer then her finger tips ? well lets just say my torso is longer then average, my finger tips meet right at crotch level. if i had worn a skirt that short you would have seen EVERYTHING but technically i would still be in "dress code" length.. IF that makes sense. lol my mom who is the same height as me , sits a little shorter then me , since her height is proportionate. ... i have a wiener-dog body.. lol !!!

Monday after payday ill have to buy some gloves and better boots and wool socks if i can find them! tomorrow suppose to be 45 as a high, im so excited! i got rabbit poop to transfer to the compost pile. 30 and sunny i can handle .. 45 is great ! as long as the wind isnt too strong that is. anything colder then that, i struggle. my coat has snap buttons rather then a zipper , and its missing 2 important buttons at the top. so im always getting chilled even with a hoodie under it. or when im doing something and i put too much tension on the front and all my buttons undo .. BRRR..

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
doc-, Kmart? Do you really still have a Kmart? They closed the last one in Ohio a couple years ago. I used to buy shoes there all the time.
I don't get out much, and shop even less

I found a generic equivalent of Muck boots at TSC that have held up for years.
I've had expensive Muck boots-- they'd crack at the seams after 6 months of use...Bought a cheapo brand at Farm & Fleet (like TSC) that are going on 5 yrs of constant use now.

I have snow pants and coats but hardly use them unless really cold or I am sitting still a while. I leave my snow pants in the truck with a spare coat encase I get stuck and have to wait out the weather.
Good idea...I also keep a blanket in the truck and always dress like I know we're going to break down and be stuck for hours. You can always take off extra clothes, but you can't put on what you didn't bring with.

Also, re: gloves-- get looser rather than tighter fitting ones.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
In NW Ohio so far this year, it has gotten down to about 10*, but mostly in the middle of the night. I am definitely a Summer person, and really enjoy being in the pool, and walking around our farm barefoot.

From about the middle of December, until mid March, I seem to have a scowl on my face wincing from the cold wind. No matter what I do, I can't seem to keep my hands warm (bad circulation), and the fact that I am using doing some task that requires work gloves (not snowmobile mittens).

For most of the last two weeks, it has been in the high 20s with a 10-20 mph wind, and not a sliver of sunshine, just really overcast, and depressing !

·
Registered
36 Posts
in the 20s this morning, but I have seen it get in the teens... with wind chill below .. freezing fog here this morning.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Still waiting for winter here in Northeast PA. Coldest so far was 19 degrees. I have a Carhart jacket from TSC, and if it's really cold I put on insulated underwear. No other special effort here.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
So far as gloves go, the ONLY warm gloves I've found that I like are Tuffmate lined gloves. Warm, but still thin enough to work in.

·
Super Moderator
9,379 Posts
Good idea...I also keep a blanket in the truck and always dress like I know we're going to break down and be stuck for hours. You can always take off extra clothes, but you can't put on what you didn't bring with.
if you always have a plan to walk home your never in a bind , to many people dress like it's summer in the winter no plan for if they need to be outside more than a few minutes. failure to plan is planning to fail.

when I had my van I would toss me sleeping bag in the back seat at deer season and take it out in the spring
the tuck has a very small back seat

·
Premium Member
15,918 Posts
I like insulated bibs. That gives the option to remove your coat. They work great for blocking the wind and catching the heat. I fell through the ice up to my waist in -20 F windchill while wearing my bibs. Once they froze I was comfortable. I had to take them off to get in my truck because they were stiff like stove pipes.

·
Premium Member
15,918 Posts
Fox River makes some thick woolen mittens. They need to be covered with a leather shell but I've worn similar mittens down to -70 F. Of course I had better blood circulation at that time.

·
Registered
10,190 Posts
Minus 15 to minus 45 Celsius is normal for winter here. Working outside up to minus 25 is fine but after that you are better to do just the essentials outside. We all do spend a lot to buy quality cold weather gear and boots but frost bite is a real danger so you do have to use common sense. You can get used to the cold. Kids here don't get indoor recess until the temperature goes below minus 25. No snow days or cold weather days.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Minus 15 to minus 45 Celsius is normal for winter here. Working outside up to minus 25 is fine but after that you are better to do just the essentials outside. We all do spend a lot to buy quality cold weather gear and boots but frost bite is a real danger so you do have to use common sense. You can get used to the cold. Kids here don't get indoor recess until the temperature goes below minus 25. No snow days or cold weather days.
Coating the tip of your nose & ears (which should really be covered if it's that cold) with Vaseline will provide little extra protection from frostbite.

21 - 40 of 65 Posts