Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
a little random , but just curious.

i was looking up how cold ohio can get (my area) and the record low was -39°F BUT that was in 1899 ... geez... thats COLD !!!! i have seen -14°F before but that was BEFORE i had the animals. so far ive seen 10°F as a low. and thats pretty dang cold as it is ! lol entering our coldest part of the season now though. so i may be seeing that -14°F again.

i currently go outside in my wool coat that ive had for 12 years. its on its last leg... lol i need to replace it buuut its hard to figure out what to get. as yeah it can say freezing weather coat. but i also got boots that say waterproof , though their not. its so hard to pick out clothing that suits what you need, most store around me have a no return policy in this covid times. so i cant even just buy something and test to see if it works for me. and if i need something different , take it back and try again.

i need to get some good gloves and maybe a ski mask i just bought gloves not to long ago , but pretty sure they make my hands colder, with them on .. uuugh.. and i currently been wearing a cloth face mask to keep my nose and mouth warm while doing chores.

all this is trial and error .. whats your cold weather clothing ? ALSO coveralls ... any of you 5ft 3in ish. and have a good pair of coveralls that dont drag the ground !? lol

·
Registered
9,399 Posts
My wife is 5'4'' and has a pair of purple bib style coveralls and the fit her well. She says they are toasty.
Every locale has a weather spike. Ours bottoms out in the mid 20s to low 30s right about this time of year. We don't get much more than a light breeze as we are surrounded by timber.
Heat up a couple palm sized smooth rocks in a covered pan of water. Throw them in the pockets of your coveralls. You will have warm hips and a way to heat your hands quickly.

·
Sock puppet reinstated
23,915 Posts
We have had -20 so far this winter and many days in the negatives. -3 this morning. I put gloves on when it gets to the negatives. I put on a knitted scarf when my hair is wet and it is below zero. Other than that it is jeans or sweats and a puffy jacket until it gets to - 10. Then I will add a layer below that and get out the down jacket and a fleece balaclava.

·
Registered
847 Posts

i was looking up how cold ohio can get (my area) and the record low was -39°F BUT that was in 1899 ... geez... thats COLD !!!! i have seen -14°F before but that was BEFORE i had the animals. so far ive seen 10°F as a low. and thats pretty dang cold as it is ! lol entering our coldest part of the season now though. so i may be seeing that -14°F again.

i currently go outside in my wool coat that ive had for 12 years. its on its last leg... lol i need to replace it buuut its hard to figure out what to get. as yeah it can say freezing weather coat. but i also got boots that say waterproof , though their not. its so hard to pick out clothing that suits what you need, most store around me have a no return policy in this covid times. so i cant even just buy something and test to see if it works for me. and if i need something different , take it back and try again.

i need to get some good gloves and maybe a ski mask i just bought gloves not to long ago , but pretty sure they make my hands colder, with them on .. uuugh.. and i currently been wearing a cloth face mask to keep my nose and mouth warm while doing chores.

all this is trial and error .. whats your cold weather clothing ? ALSO coveralls ... any of you 5ft 3in ish. and have a good pair of coveralls that dont drag the ground !? lol
Could you find a used ski bib to put on over your clothes? Out West here I use mud boots with 2 pair of socks on (your feet would freeze in your area lol) and i stuff the pants legs into my boots. I think you are thinking the right way with ski mask/gloves, dexterity may suffer with gloves but it's worth a try if you can find used stuff.

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
Mine is a sweatshirt with a sweat jacket over it. I don't think we've even had a hard frost in the couple of decades I've lived here.

That said, the last time I visited family in northern Ohio in February, I dug out my faux-fur lined almost-a-parka and mittens that I'd been packing around with me since we lived in Colorado. People in shorts and T-shirts were looking at me funny as I lugged them through the San Diego airport.

We used to wear snowsuits as kids - you know the ones with the polyester bib overalls and the jacket/mittens that went over them - and heavy boots with several pairs of socks on when we were out helping in winter. Tons of layers of clothes under the bibs. I haven't looked for those in years, I don't know if they still exist, but if they do, it was good work outfit.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My wife is 5'4'' and has a pair of purple bib style coveralls and the fit her well. She says they are toasty.
Every locale has a weather spike. Ours bottoms out in the mid 20s to low 30s right about this time of year. We don't get much more than a light breeze as we are surrounded by timber.
Heat up a couple palm sized smooth rocks in a covered pan of water. Throw them in the pockets of your coveralls. You will have warm hips and a way to heat your hands quickly.

whats the brand of the bibs ? and do you remember where you got them? i been looking to get coveralls or bibs for a while , and well ... not allowed to try anything on , so just seeing them hang there , i can already see that they would not fit.. cause every time you go up wider, it gets longer... its like clothes designers dont understand anatomy. lol just because you are wide dont mean you are tall .

·
Registered
9,399 Posts
Either Rural King or Tractor Supply.
Even ill fitting coveralls are better than when I used to go outside in jeans and a sweatshirt/jacket.

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
I have a set of Carhardt overalls that I use when it's super cold (-double digits). These were made for women so they fit far better then any of my hubby's old ones fit me. I rarely wear them any more now that I'm acclimated to northern MN. Usually, I'm just a jeans, insulated jacket, hat, and gloves person....unless its wet. Wet cold goes directly to my bones.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Either Rural King or Tractor Supply.
Even ill fitting coveralls are better than when I used to go outside in jeans and a sweatshirt/jacket.

yeah , im currently wearing cheap sweatpants and then my wool coat. and im still defrosting. from being outside about 30 minutes ago. and its 24°F out right now.. lol ill have to see what i can find in tractor supply next time i go , made a trip last night to stock up on animal food, but had my brother with me to help load the car up. so no time to check out clothes.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have a set of Carhardt overalls that I use when it's super cold (-double digits). These were made for women so they fit far better then any of my hubby's old ones fit me. I rarely wear them any more now that I'm acclimated to northern MN. Usually, I'm just a jeans, insulated jacket, hat, and gloves person....unless its wet. Wet cold goes directly to my bones.
i thought i would be acclimated to my weather as i lived here all my life, but extreme cold and extreme hot still gets me. i can deal with heat more then i can deal with cold though. maybe a few more years of dealing with animal chores will fix that.. lol i was one of those "hide inside during hot/cold weather." people.

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
i thought i would be acclimated to my weather as i lived here all my life, but extreme cold and extreme hot still gets me. i can deal with heat more then i can deal with cold though. maybe a few more years of dealing with animal chores will fix that.. lol i was one of those "hide inside during hot/cold weather." people.
I'm totally the opposite. I love the cold, hate the heat. Thus the reason for moving from Tennessee to northern MN. ;)

·
Registered
365 Posts
I usually am a warm person (physically, not my personality). So if I’m out working a light jacket and t shirt is good to about 10 degrees. If colder I put a coat on.
If below zero I shed work gloves for a heavier insulated glove that I bought it Tractor Supply years ago. I also take my hat off and put on a full pullover wool mask/ hat. ( like in my avatar).
If you can find a snowmobile suit they are designed for high winds in cold weather. Might be a good option. But I’d sweat to death in one myself.
First year in this house it hit -40, but that’s an exception. I think it was about-20 outside when I took my avatar pic.

·
Registered
847 Posts
yeah , im currently wearing cheap sweatpants and then my wool coat. and im still defrosting. from being outside about 30 minutes ago. and its 24°F out right now.. lol ill have to see what i can find in tractor supply next time i go , made a trip last night to stock up on animal food, but had my brother with me to help load the car up. so no time to check out clothes.
Tractor supply has good stuff, but EXPENSIVE!! Do you have any thrift stores or secondhand clothing shops around? You shouldn't have to spend a ton of money to stay warm, but you do need to practice some resourcefulness.

Just a suggestion, but hemming or shortening pants legs is not out of reach even to someone who is completely new to sewing, so dont let the length of clothes bother you so much. Sure, it is a little extra effort but if you use your head you can stay comfy and warm for years to come AND save some extra dollars for your future barn project.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Tractor supply has good stuff, but EXPENSIVE!! Do you have any thrift stores or secondhand clothing shops around? You shouldn't have to spend a ton of money to stay warm, but you do need to practice some resourcefulness.

Just a suggestion, but hemming or shortening pants legs is not out of reach even to someone who is completely new to sewing, so dont let the length of clothes bother you so much. Sure, it is a little extra effort but if you use your head you can stay comfy and warm for years to come AND save some extra dollars for your future barn project.

ill have to check our thrift shop too , i totally forgot about that.. the last time i went, it was all formal prom stuff, and handbags. maybe a bed frame and such. if i could thrift something warm , i wouldnt mind hemming, but if i was going to buy something expensive to stay warm, id want it to be as close to my size as possible so i didnt have to alter it. its always sad to chop up expensive clothes. i think all the clothes i have in my house combined, is cheaper then the winter gear i been looking into. lol im pretty cheap when it comes to clothing when i can be. the wool coat i have right now. i got it off a sheep farmer when i was about 14 their no longer with us , so i cant go get another off them.

·
Registered
61 Posts
2 winters ago it hit -40F two nights in a row. We get -20 for at least a few nights every winters, sometimes for multiple weeks. You learn little tricks, but you also just get acclimated. At 25 or 30 degrees, if I'm outside but moving around, I just wear a beanie and a sweatshirt over a long sleeve tshirt. If you are sitting still you will get very cold if the temps are in the teens or lower. A couple things that really help. Make sure you have at least one shirt tucked into your pants, wear a good neck gator that goes down into your coat front and back, wear mittens instead of gloves and make sure they fit over your coat sleeves. Wear wool socks like Darn Tough brand. The main things that matters it to make sure there is nowhere wind and cold air can get in "through a crack". Cold air blowing in under your shirt because it isn't tucked in will make you cold in a hurry. That's why coveralls work so well. Also, baby powder on your feet really helps. If you have good socks and boots, the biggest issue your feet have if if they get sweaty. Then they will always be cold. Dry is warm.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
The best coats I have for cold weather are the Carhartt/Dickies type heavy canvas chore coats, blanket lined. The blanket lining isn't bulky but is very dense and warm, and with the heavy canvas makes a much warmer coat than you might imagine, and far more durable than anything made of plastic, like a snow suit. If you can't find blanket lined, quilted insulation is almost as good. In heavy rain or wind I add a parka shell.

Get some of the real heavy military-type polypropylene long johns, top & bottom. Those with heavy double-front jeans, heavy cotton, flannel or wool shirt, jacket, the chore coat, and whatever hat & gloves you need, will keep you warm to a pretty low temperature if you're not sitting still.

For leather boots and gloves, I find they keep cold out a lot better if you oil them with mineral oil, as much as the leather will absorb. It also keeps water from saturating the leather so they last longer and you don't instantly freeze when they get wet.

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
layers!
I wear leggings/long johns under my pants, then snow pants on top of those.

Same with shirts - layers! :)

I also read somewhere that keeping your neck warm will keep you well so I made it a point to do that last year and now this year and so far so good. I knitted little wool scarves that I can wrap around my neck once or twice and they aren't in the way. I wear them everyday, and sometimes wrap a longer bigger scarf on top.

I really dislike being cold so I use as many layers as I can tolerate comfortably.

·
Administrator
19,362 Posts
I have seen it as cold as -52C and my winter attire is not what one would call off the rack.

My head and neck are covered with a cowl that I made from muskox yarn, which is super warm but fairly costly project. I've long given up on the latest ulta expensive cold weather attire and my coats are all full length and come from consignment stores/thrift sales.

For general cold weather, I have a broad selection of very heavy old style heavy wool coats that are extremely warm and if things get super cold, I have two well used fur coats that work very well.

All have been bought roomy enough that I can wear a heavy sweater if needed and the only real significant winter investment is my boots.

·
Premium Member
8,931 Posts
Minnesota here, I’m comfortable to 10 degrees F.

being on the open prairie with just a grove, winds are worse than actual air temp here.

I can work outside at minus 5 in a sunny wind still day and be ok, then at 25 above and cloudy and a damp wind is more miserable.

We have been down to minus 30-something several times in my life, -33 i was young and took the snowmobile out so I can say I did. I think we got to minus 37 a couple years ago, that was a bitter year lot of low temps in February, after it was a relatively nice early part of winter.

it was a few degrees below zero in November here, been a fairly mild winter tho so far.

Paul

·
Registered
2,751 Posts

all this is trial and error .. hats your cold weather clothing ? ALSO coveralls ... any of you 5ft 3in ish. and have a good pair of coveralls that dont drag the ground !? lol
If you know your sizes, order from Duluth Trading. If you don't like them you can send them back. If you wear them for ten years and then decide that you don't like them, you can send them back. They have a no question return policy.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts