How can you tell??

Discussion in 'Cattle' started by Countrygrl3, Mar 17, 2005.

1. Countrygrl3

Countrygrl3 Well-Known Member

How do you tell if your cow is in heat? i have a jersey that i want to breed, and was told the "window of opportunity" is like one day :confused: thanks,

Sue

2. evermoor

evermoor Well-Known Member

Do you have more than one cow?? THe most common signof estrus is a cow standing while another mounts her. If you have just the one girl, she may try to rear up and mount you. She will probably be restless and much more active and vocal. There can also be discharge and swelling in the vulva. The rule is to breed 12 hours after the onset of standing heat. WE go with the see them in heat in the AM breed in the PM. Jerseys start to show heats around 9 months or so of age ( bulls can be fertile even younger) Generally safe to br bred in the 13-16 month range. This depends on the individuals size, health, and personal preferences. Generally wait to breed a cow for the first 45 days after calving. Good Luck

3. Countrygrl3

Thanks evermoor: i have 2 cows, one is due in june, but i want to breed my other girl shes almost 8 or so.
    forgive me if this seems childish, im still learning :eek: but do all these signs show in one day? or are they spread out over a couple days? the reason i am wondering is because i have a friend of mine who raises Angus and we wanted to breed her to his bull. so i was curious if i should send her over to him the week she is "due" to be in heat or if i should attempt to AI? thanks so much!

Sue

4. herefordman

herefordman Well-Known Member

Be better if you could bring the bull into your place, and leave him there for a while if you can.

5. Valmai

Valmai Well-Known Member

Would that neighbour loan the bull for at least 4 wks? If you have a bull its soooo much easier than AI, as the bull is way better at spotting a cow in heat. There can be 'attempted' mounting for a day or two before and after the optimum time. Cows cycle every 3 weeks so a min. of 4 weeks should give the bull to shots at it.

6. Countrygrl3

Thanks everyone! i will talk to him and see if we can bring the bull over here, it does seem much easier than trying to spot the perfect time for AI. thanks again,

Sue

7. pygmywombat

pygmywombat Well-Known Member

If she's not in milk I would take her to the bull. Easier and safer for you not to have to deal with him when he is intent on breeding or decides to leave if he finds something more interesting on the other side of the fence.

8. Vere My Sone

Vere My Sone Well-Known Member

we've missed my jersey's standing heat twice now
    she doesn't show much sign of heat

research says they can come in heat from 15 to 26 days--that's a wide spread
    and can be in standing heat for as little as 4 hours, or as much as 24 hours

this last time, she was in heat in the morning, brought the young angus bull up from pasture after lunch and it was already too late--so her standing heat is definitely short

so, my plan is to bring the bull back up to the barn at 14 days and leave him there till the deed is done, dag nab it

9. tripletmom

tripletmom Well-Known Member

does blood on the tail mean we've missed it?

10. Shelly

Shelly Member

If you see blood, it typically means that she has ovulated and yes, you missed her heat.

Remember a bull will breed her during her heat whereas we AI at the end of standing heat or even shortly after. Because of the location of deposit and the difference in fresh vs extended and frozen semen the timing must be different in order to get the sperm capacitated and in the same place at the egg when the egg is still viable.

11. melwynnd

melwynnd living More with Less!

I have to agree with this one. I'd imagine your friend has more than a couple of cows since he keeps a bull. A bull is very attatched to his "herd" and will most likely break down the fence and go "home" if you put him with only a couple cows(which is a definite demotion in his mind). However: if you have a very stout pen, you may be able to keep him in. Angus bulls are very stout and it's amazing how high they can jump as well.

Sherry